PDA

View Full Version : Is it cheeky/rude to request cost sharing flights with strangers?

TheOptimist
2nd Nov 2009, 15:45
I don't think this is suitable for the 'spare seat' section because the aircraft I'd like to have a jolly in are quite specific and rare.

I would like to know whether it would generally be considered rude/innapropriate to request that if a certain piliot ever has a spare seat in his aircraft, would he mind taking me along with me sharing the cost. I'm not talking about paying someone to take me as such (the organisations that do this charge huge amounts in the aircraft I'd like) but rather if he needs to fly to a maintenance for example, and has no-one filling the back seat, I'd be happy to just come along for the ride and pay my half of the fuel.

The aircraft I'd like to fly in are jet trainers mostly, and they are obviously fairly rare in the UK, and as such I'd probably want to send the owners letters. If you received a short letter following the format below, what would you think?

- Greetings and introduction
- Discussion of the owners aircraft and my desire to fly in one.
- Polite request that if the owner ever has a mundane solo journey to be made, whether he might take along a student PPL (me) and cost share.
- Thanks etc etc.

What do you reckon?

DBChopper
2nd Nov 2009, 16:32
I reckon you'll probably end up getting a ride :)

If you introduce yourself as you have outlined then sooner or later you will find someone more than happy to take you along for a ride. The only limiting factor, given the type of aircraft that interest you, might be a limitation on some Permit to Fly aircraft that only allows them to carry "crew" as opposed to passengers.

Good luck :ok:

007helicopter
2nd Nov 2009, 17:32
Absolutely no problem IMHO, go for it.

Genghis the Engineer
2nd Nov 2009, 17:37
Given the cost of fuel for such aeroplanes, plus that everybody likes showing their toys off, I think you'll probably be welcomed with open arms.

Ditto owner/pilots of most other interesting flying machines. (Indeed, I wish I got a few letters like that!).

G

englishal
2nd Nov 2009, 17:43
I wrote to BA recently, and they agreed to let me cost share my way to LAX ! Pretty good deal actually, £400 covered my share of the fuel and they gave me free drinks!

(sorry, had to :} - go for it, and good luck :ok:)

Oldpilot55
2nd Nov 2009, 18:40
My son did something similar but omitted to turn up in time for the flight so I had to pay for an empty seat LAX-LHR and an Air NZ flight the next day.

TheOptimist
2nd Nov 2009, 21:08
^^^ Have you killed him yet?

I'm very pleased with the responses to my questions, I was actually expecting much more negativity.

A couple more questions regarding the permit to fly. Is there any way of determining whether the aircraft can take passengers without actually contacting the owner?

Secondly, on one of the aircraft the section next to the 'CofA/Permit to fly' is blank (I am using the CAA GINFO search for this). Does that mean it definately doesn't have a permit, or just that this section might not have been filled in/updated.

Thank you for your replies so far.

fernytickles
3rd Nov 2009, 19:06
How about offering to help clean the aeroplane for the owner as well?

Genghis the Engineer
3rd Nov 2009, 21:24
^

Secondly, on one of the aircraft the section next to the 'CofA/Permit to fly' is blank (I am using the CAA GINFO search for this). Does that mean it definately doesn't have a permit, or just that this section might not have been filled in/updated.

Almost certainly, but if in doubt, Google the registration. If there's no photograph of it flying on an aircraft spotters' website somewhere - it's probably not flying!

G

Human Factor
3rd Nov 2009, 21:40
I know a chap who got a ride in a P-51 using the cheeky/rude method. Don't ask, don't get.

I tried the same trick once but the F-15 ride is yet to materialise....... :*

stickandrudderman
4th Nov 2009, 06:44
I guess that in the strictest sense this would indeed be cheeky, but cheeky gets you places in my experience!
I'm sure you'd get a positive response, especially at your age as most of the people flying these rare birds would take great delight in helping the next generation to foster a love of aviation!
I wish I'd had the presence of mind to do it at your age!
What are you waiting for?
When would now be a good time?:ok:

FlyingOfficerKite
4th Nov 2009, 18:13
I always seem to be posting negative comments or words of caution on PPRuNE - however, the only time I was offered a free ride was back in the '80s.

Unbeknown to me the pilot had a 'reputation'. I hadn't completed my PPL at that stage and was only too eager to take him up on his offer.

We ended up at the destination airfield flying the circuit the wrong way and conflicting with other traffic - the pilot was given 'what for' when we landed much to my embarrassment as well: the duty instructor assumed I was somehow involved and responsible.

Just be sure you know who you are flying with (from an aviation, not personal point of view).

Remember things can go wrong in the most tragic of circumstances as evidenced by the PA28 crash on the railway lines in the Midlands.

Just be aware that your 'best buddy' might not be the best pilot!

KR

FOK :)

Runaway Gun
5th Nov 2009, 07:11
Fair point by FOK,

Do research the pilot/owner as well, in a discrete manner.
You wouldn't jump in any car driven by just anyone that you had just met, without considering their behaivour. Luckily, cars can stop by the side of the road, and you can just get out of it breaks down, or you decide the driver isn't quite up to your standards.
The same goes for some pilots and owners. Not many, I don't want to start a war here, but I've been caught out before... with many guys AFTERWARDS saying "I can't believe you went up with HIM !!"

TheOptimist
5th Nov 2009, 09:54
The pilot I went up with wouldn't be a problem. Once he'd made a mess of things I'd take over, flick us back into straight and level, perform a lovely cuban 8 with a Pugachev's cobra to finish things off, then gently touch down to a hero's reception from the large crowd I'd inadvertantly been performing for.

*wakes up*

...........You both make valid points. I will check the pilot is 'suitable,' as it were.

SpannerInTheWerks
5th Nov 2009, 18:17
I agree with the comments made above.

With spare seat rides generally being in great demand, if someone has to 'advertise', it maybe worthwhile asking the question: Why?