PDA

View Full Version : Where would I find? (easy one)

Power
2nd Nov 2009, 10:03
Where in the manuals would I find information differentiating the reason to call a mayday or a pan pan? cheers PS I searched and there are too many posts with "mayday" in it

training wheels
2nd Nov 2009, 10:43
One thing I noticed (amongst many) whilst doing my initial multi-engine rating is that when you have an engine failure in the cruise on one engine, it's Pan-Pan-Pan. Double engine failure, it's mayday-mayday-mayday.

Don't know whether this is standard through out the industry, or just the way I was taught.

startingout
2nd Nov 2009, 10:52
When I was training I was told easiest way to remeber was if your going to die, mayday... if not pan call it is :ok:

Captain Nomad
2nd Nov 2009, 12:12
ERSA emergency section is a handy reference with the suggested content for each of those calls.

Not all Mayday calls mean you are going to die... :suspect: Think more about the priority of the situation. For example, a twin shutting down an engine in flight due to failure but can maintain altitude needing 'priority' help from ATC due to the nature of the problem warrants a 'PAN' while a single with an engine failure and facing an IMMEDIATELY critical situation requiring an even higher level of priority and attention would warrant a 'MAYDAY.'