PDA

View Full Version : Mono/Stereo switch on headset

steve181
2nd Nov 2009, 02:11
I did a bit of googling & read that mono "transmits a single sound signal over a single channel" & stereo "transmits two sound signals over two separate channels, providing a more natural, “three-dimensional” distribution of sound"

I had a look at the switch on my headset & it was on mono so I assume I've done a fair few hours with the headset on this setting. Stereo sounds like a better setting but how can I be sure the aircraft I fly has stereo output?

Would it just be a case of me experimenting next time I go flying or is there a method to this madness?

Thanks.

Delta Oscar Charlie
2nd Nov 2009, 02:24
I have Stereo/mono on mine also but I have yet to fly an AC that I can use stereo on. Mono sounds much better on my current types, so I assume that is how you will know.

hope that makes some sense

AussieNick
2nd Nov 2009, 02:25
just sit it on stereo. if the output is in mono the headset will run mono, if its on stereo it'll come across in stereo. Mono will only work on mono, regardless of the output signal

Peter Fanelli
2nd Nov 2009, 02:38
Oh give me a break.

I guarantee, you will not find any stereo communications radios in aircraft.

steve181
2nd Nov 2009, 03:01
Makes you wonder why we have that option on aviation headsets then. ;)

UnderneathTheRadar
2nd Nov 2009, 03:15
Because the intercom systems - specifically music inputs - can do stereo.

On mine, if a headset is switched to mono and plugged in then it causes all music to be in mono on all headsets.

UTR

steve181
2nd Nov 2009, 03:19
Do you play music while you are flying?

Arm out the window
2nd Nov 2009, 05:14
A stereo setting is only any good if the device bringing the audio to you (in this case, the aircraft's intercom system) is capable of carrying the signals appropriately.

If there's an input for a music system like an ipod, then you may be able to get a stereo signal in your headset. As you probably know, stereo sends two different signals, one to each ear (or speaker in your home system). The different phase and volume information of the waveforms going to your ears lets your brain create the illusion of separation of the various sounds in the mix, (eg a drum fill seeming to 'move' from one side to the other as the different toms are hit, or two separate guitars in a rock band seeming to be laterally separated).

If the system providing the signal to your headset is only capable of carrying mono (ie only one signal path, not two), then you're only going to hear a mono signal (that is, exactly the same sound in both ears, with no illusion of separation, even if the source material was originally recorded that way).

Radio and navaid stuff is just going to be in mono, which is all you need for it.
It won't hurt to play with the switch and see what happens, anyway.

Cap'n Arrr
2nd Nov 2009, 06:12
I found with my old Flightcom that having the switch in stereo generally resulted in sound only coming through one ear:ok:

steve181
2nd Nov 2009, 06:44
Cheers guy's. :ok: