PDA

View Full Version : Fly around Oz hour building, anyone interested?

Delta Oscar Charlie
2nd Nov 2009, 01:10
Hi folks,

I'm planning on doing my CPL hour building in Jan/Feb & have given some thought to maybe flying around most if not all of Australia. Has any one ever done this and if so any tips and advice would be welcome.

Also wondered if there might be a fellow student/hour builder who might be interested in joining me for it? Share costs and hours etc etc

Would like to add that if anyone knows of a good single engine aircraft that could be hired out for such an extended period of time at a good rate that would be much appreciated also.

look forward to your replies and/or pms

Cap'n Arrr
2nd Nov 2009, 01:18
only tips i can give

1 - make sure the aircraft you end up using isn't due for maintenance in the time you're away

2 - don't use the gps:ok:

Atlas Shrugged
2nd Nov 2009, 01:28
2 - don't use the gps

Bull****! - Use EVERYTHING that is available to you!

VH-BCY
2nd Nov 2009, 01:36
Try and get a 200 series Cessna aircraft and stop in at all the operators that use them. You will probably end up with a job with one of them if you can manage to bring the plane back in 1 piece. Also get one with a fresh annual.:ok:

smudgiebottom
2nd Nov 2009, 01:53
I did the same, and it was the best thing I've ever done (apart from marriage and children and all the other politically correct responses).

Definitely take care with the maintenance part as mentioned previously.

The other advice I have is:

Don't book accommodation in advance, it can give you added 'must get there' pressures that in questionable weather, you don't need.
Don't scrimp on WAC chart purchases and up to date VTCs etc. Get them all and make sure they are current.
Organize yourself and your documents/charts. Then organize it again. I made up document packs the night before each leg, to save sifting through all the charts to find the right one whilst flying.
Have your night VMC done prior, just in case - or for an excellent 'tour' of the Kimberley's at sunset, or Brisbane by night etc.
Take another friendly hour-building pilot with you. Any issues you face (like, 'Why is the engine running rough?', or 'what frequency?') are much easier to troubleshoot with another opinion (as long as they are friendly...).
Don't be scared of controlled airspace, giving ATC an indication of unfamiliarity with GAAP or ATC zones really helped me find my way around, and all the controllers I came across were very helpful :ok:.
Have fun! I'm so jealous... :)Matt

Cap'n Arrr
2nd Nov 2009, 06:09
Allow me to rephrase

Dont ALWAYS use/rely on the GPS, use your Time Map Ground once in a while

PyroTek
2nd Nov 2009, 06:26
I think it's more...
KNOW your GPS, But don't use it unless you must...
Well that's my opinion.:ok:
Also: I might have been interested if I had the money and if my work weren't such tightasses about taking leave.

Jabawocky
2nd Nov 2009, 06:36
If you want a middle aged responsible careful and helpful pilot with cross oz and engineering experience to go along with you..... let me know.......... But I do not come cheap!! Sounds like a great way for me to fly around the country for free.....Ohh and you can book all the hours! :)

Sounds like a great thing........ do a SEARCH on here as this question has been asked many times before, and there have been many good suggestions too!

Have fun!

Merh
2nd Nov 2009, 07:28
Am doing the same trip, except I set off in a couple weeks. Are you hour building for the 200HR or 150HR course?

ForkTailedDrKiller
2nd Nov 2009, 08:09
How do you eat an elephant? One mouthful at a time!

How do you fly around Oz? One leg at a time!

It is not a big deal. Some careful planning (as you should do for any trip), a bit of flexibility, a complete lack of "got to get there i'tis", and some communication technology for getting the weather, planning and making/cancelling sartimes - and you are good to go.

You will have a great adventure - but remember that if you don't post pics on the "Photos" thread in here, then - IT DIDN'T HAPPEN !

Dr :8

Mark1234
2nd Nov 2009, 14:30
Second a lot of advice here. I did 'up the middle and down the east side' as a final fling before my 4 years in aus ended.. 1/2 an eye to hours building and 1/2 for the sheer hell of it.

a) Do it.. it's awesome
b) get all the charts - the cost is minimal compared to the cost of the trip. I did overlook a vnc, and it's a right pain trying to do east coast airspace with an ERC-L/WAC combo..
c) If you're hours building, it might work better to get something slow and cheap (relative), after all, you log the hours, not the distance..
d) Use everything - yup, hire a plane w/o GPS :E (well, there was a garmin etrex hid in the back just in case, but..)
e) go up the middle... it's something else.
f) the 'remote' areas have more features than you'd think, it's just different (and I didn't hit the central/west desert, so that I can't comment on.
g) take something with an ADF. most of the time was spent up around the 9000 mark, NDB's were far more useful/rangey and far more common than VOR's..
h) have the night rating. Managed at least 2 legs where things got behind schedule, had it not been for the night rating, the plan would have gone right out the window. Really handy to be able plod on. Also some awesome sunsets from way up there.
i) anywhere remote, ring ahead for fuel. well ahead.. seriously!
j) if you're going remote places, put a bunch of flight plans in naips, and phone them to ammend details / change dates and times before you go. It's a *heap* easier than actually passing the entire flightplan by phone.
k) If you can, have the luxury of time, and don't make it all about flying. So many interesting places and side trips. Pretty awesome country you have there.

l) perhaps a bit contraversial, but... Don't overplan it(!) I nearly abandoned 'cos I hadn't got every last i dotted, t crossed, and a schedule for everything. Honestly as a 100hr PPL I was more than a bit scared of the thing. In the end I went.. most days just packed up the tent, did the flight plan / chartwork on the tailfeathers and blasted off. It's different, but not as hard as you might think.

I actually took a non-flying (well, bit of glider time) mate who I know well, and has flown with me quite a lot. It worked fairly well from my point of view, not least because there's no question of who had authority in the cockpit(!) Made a useful autopilot and nice to have someone to talk to. Depends how relaxed you are, but I'd think very carefully about committing to that much flying/time with someone you don't know, and/or don't know as a pilot.

Oh, and lastly, should you go into YWMC, and find that there are more lady pilots than you expected, and attractive ones to boot... don't be a chump and be so distracted as to forget the change from the (painfully expensive) avgas bill will you :O

TSIO540
2nd Nov 2009, 21:49
Longer trips to unfamiliar territory are great! I did one myself from BN up the coast to Cairns, across the gulf, south through the red centre and then east via Charleville... absolutely fantastic with nothing but a watch, a WAC and a window. :ok:

I would however recommend talking to your CFI about what you would be missing on the structured solo navs they have planned in the syllabus. Once you know what is there then you can plan supplementary exercises to do along the way such that the CFI may let you include the hours you're planning into a 150hr course rather than requiring you to do the 200 hr course.

RR RB211
2nd Nov 2009, 22:23
Sounds like a great trip

I'd suggest a mobile phone that has good coverage in those remote areas (Telstra Next G worked well for me when I was out there), just in case you need to give accommodation a call to rearrange things or chase up the fuel, amend flight plans, cancel SAR etc.

As has already been suggested, take another pilot you actually know as opposed to a complete stranger. You don't want to find out on the first leg they are a complete tool in the aircraft regardless of how nice they sounded on the phone or when you met up to plan it all.

The Cessna 200 series suggestion and Night VFR rating were good idea's too.

And of course - a camera with spare batteries, spare memory card.

Most of all - have fun and keep an eye on the weather.

Atlas Shrugged
2nd Nov 2009, 23:19
KNOW your GPS, But don't use it unless you must...

Try flying from Ceduna to Forest and see. It's like looking at a piece of brown carpet for 2 hours. ;)

Merh
3rd Nov 2009, 01:54
Really helpful thread, keep the suggestions coming :ok:

A big question I have for an upcoming trip I'm doing, is charts. Does anyone know where I can get a wide range of VNC's, besides the Airservices website?

Also if anyone has any 'must-see's' (including good fishing spots) within QLD, please let me know ;)

SM227
3rd Nov 2009, 02:04
Some QLD must sees:

Qantas Founders Museum- Longreach
Whitsunday Islands- Airlie Beach/Shute Harbour/Hamilton Island
and Gold Coast/ Sunshine Coast

The fishing spots are secret :ok:

Delta Oscar Charlie
3rd Nov 2009, 02:12
Lots of great advice here, have planned on having my NVFR before I go but we'll have to wait and see..

The Cessna 200 option would be great but I reckon it could be hard to get one and could become very expensive.. but still a good idea none the less..

Not bringing a stranger is an interesting point also which I have considered before, I just wouldn't want to do it on my own and most people I know couoldn't take time off work or away from families for an extended period of time.. catch 22

Keep the posts coming thanks and again if anyone knows a good ac for a good rate feel free to drop me a pm..

sixtiesrelic
3rd Nov 2009, 03:49
Delta Oscar Charlie check your PMs.

Orion Delta
3rd Nov 2009, 05:52
do NOT use GPS unless it is totally necessary. I have seen too many pilots become "sloppy" from staying in their comfort shell. However it is good for a back up (only). You should try flying to Cairns or up to the tip, some beautiful country up there. All the best:ok:

Mark1234
3rd Nov 2009, 06:53
Try flying from Ceduna to Forest and see. It's like looking at a piece of brown carpet for 2 hours.

Haven't looked, but I presume the flight was possible pre-gps.. NDB, VOR etc? Somehow don't consider that 'cheating' so much as it doesn't give you a 'here you are on the TV' picture..

172driver
3rd Nov 2009, 07:19
Does anyone know where I can get a wide range of VNC's, besides the Airservices website?

Yep, here (http://www.skyshop.com.au/). Very efficient.

gutso-blundo
3rd Nov 2009, 08:11
I did a round-oz trip some time ago. Flew in a Cardinal RG, which is a pretty good, cheap machine to do it in, and reasonably fast (140TAS if you get a straight one).
I see you're planning on doing it in Jan/Feb - be VERY aware of the weather if you're in the top-end, as things can get pretty dramatic pretty quickly when the wet sets in, and when your destination, alternate, and alternate alternate close due to being under water you'll need all your wits with you.
If you're heading down south, go to Tassie! It's fantastic setting off from LaTrobe (really cosy aero club) and out across the strait. You're always in sight of your next tracking point, and with 15 minute skeds you're gonna be taken care of should anything untoward happen.
Tas itself is really beautiful, and it will expose you to the sort of mountain flying you won't get in most parts of the mainland. Not to mention changing weather conditions...

I had the fortune of having the GPS go U/S about a third of the way into the trip. The entire east coast, Bass Strait, Tas, and the Nullabor can be navigated without 'cheating', and it will make everything else a piece of cake. It will teach you the value of clock-map-ground, and when there is no ground it teaches you to trust your DR and common sense.

Best of luck and have an awesome time!

Delta Oscar Charlie
3rd Nov 2009, 11:45
To all the people who have sent me pms thank you very much.. I'll get back to you as soon as I can.. the response has been fantastic.. Just need to find the time to ans you all 1 x 1..

Thanks again, so much help and good will is great to see..
:ok:

Rojer Wilco
3rd Nov 2009, 22:42
I don't believe no one's said it yet, but a sat phone is very handy in remote areas for SARTIME.

Don't be scared to use your GPS. They're excellent tools that should be used in conjunction with other NAV aids and/or visual navigation (if that's your thing). Navigating remote areas without one can be very difficult because most pieces of desert look the same (with the noted exception of north WA).

Have fun!

Delta Oscar Charlie
5th Nov 2009, 05:34
I've been talking to a few people about the hiring of an aircraft and a few of them have said that they can't hire me the aircraft gst free even though I am on the 150 hour commercial course.

I've put in a query to casa on this but in the mean time has anyone any ideas?

tmpffisch
5th Nov 2009, 05:47
It's got nothing to do with CASA......

gutso-blundo
5th Nov 2009, 05:56
Whilst I wouldn't normally recommend to anybody putting a loaded gun to their head and pulling the trigger...
I'd suggest talking to the ATO about the GST policy.

Delta Oscar Charlie
5th Nov 2009, 06:02
How come? Obviously I understand its a tax issue but If I'm on the 150 hour course I'm entitled to GST free flying once I stick to the requirements outlined in the syllabus. If I break those in anyway I am automatically on the 200 hour course and have to pay GST.

I'm not planning on breaking those requirements so it should be no skin off the nose of the hirer then.

tmpffisch
5th Nov 2009, 06:37
Because you're not enrolled in the 150hr course with them?
Not planning on breaking the requirements?

2.8.8. Only hours accumulated while undergoing supervised training with a school whose curriculum includes an Approved CPLA Training Course may be credited towards the 150-hour aeronautical experience requirement for licence issue.

Up to the school to the degree that rule gets enforced...

Delta Oscar Charlie
5th Nov 2009, 08:11
I disagree . How would one gain solo hours as pic if you had to be under supervision at at all times. Many FTO's hire there aircraft from individuals so what would be any different in this case. Thanks for your feedback all the same

Forgot to mention that I spoke to a school in Sydney this evening after my post and they told me I can hire an AC from them GST free no problem once I can prove I'm a student on the 150 hour course.

snoop doggy dog
5th Nov 2009, 09:23
You may need to pay the GST and then claim it back later. Look into it or ask an accountant. :confused:

Johnny Ca$h is the best way to pay for A/C in Oz. As you are earning phuck all (persumably), tax deductions are a non-issue. :ok:

ForkTailedDrKiller
5th Nov 2009, 09:24
Also if anyone has any 'must-see's' (including good fishing spots) within QLD, please let me know

Here you go Merh!

http://www.fototime.com/81D4C7786B1E114/standard.jpg

A good spot for Barra - but "load for bear"!