PDA

View Full Version : G-LADZ comes a cropper!!!

JTobias
31st Oct 2009, 19:50
Unfortunately G-LADZ, an Enstrom 480 owned by some good friends of mine has come a cropper whilst parked at Sleap Airfield today. Thankfully, no one was hurt.

You can read about it here (http://jetbox.wordpress.com/2009/10/31/g-ladz-comes-a-cropper/)!

Joel

TheOptimist
31st Oct 2009, 20:04
I havn't figured out quite how yet, but that's got to be the helicopter pilot's fault.

topendtorque
31st Oct 2009, 21:29
Interesting story, any chance on shedding more light on the reference to the "gearbox failure in flight" bit?
cheers tet

JTobias
31st Oct 2009, 23:56
Hi TET

You can read about the gearbox situation here (http://jetbox.wordpress.com/2009/08/04/safe-landing-for-the-lads-in-g-ladz/)

Joel :ok:

Mike Bathurst
1st Nov 2009, 11:07
In response to Mr Optimists post above, I was the pilot who had just flown LADZ into Sleap and I am sure you must be right. I had flagrantly (and with scant consideration for other pilots) left the helicopter in what can only be described as 'exactly the right place'. On all future visits to this and indeed any other airfields we will be sure to leave it in 'exactly the wrong place' where I can be sure that it won't be driven into.:rolleyes:

Whirlygig
1st Nov 2009, 11:10
Mike, sorry to hear about the accident. :(

Did you put a hi-viz vest on it? :}

Cheers

Whirls

Mike Bathurst
1st Nov 2009, 11:51
When we bought new main blades for the machine recently we paid considerably more for the hi-vis paint option - didn't appear to help much!!

GearDownFlaps
1st Nov 2009, 11:52
Sorry to hear about G-LADZ Joel nice machine , Im sure they wouldnt have hit it if youd left it in the eye catching burgundy

JTobias
1st Nov 2009, 11:57
Personally, I blame the pilot!
But which one? ...........
Regrettably, it was just one of those things.
It's a pi**er, but hopefully some good will come of it.

Joel

Mike Bathurst
1st Nov 2009, 12:54
From now on we will leave the heli in a low hover whilst we go in for a cuppa.

JTobias
1st Nov 2009, 14:17
Actually, I recommend a high hover!

Joel:ok:

Mike Bathurst
1st Nov 2009, 15:14
Good point given that the cafe is on the first floor.

It looks like the heli will be recovered tomorrow to engineering and we are hoping to have an initial damage assessment by Tuesday.

dan_egcb
1st Nov 2009, 15:43
i bet g-ladz is getting sick of sitting on the back of a bloody lorry!

PoloJamie
1st Nov 2009, 18:20
I hope G-LADZ make a speedy recovery!

Non pilot (at the minute) question:
Joel, how does this, and G-LADZ's previous incident work from an AAIB point of view? Is it mandatory that the AAIB are notified of all incidents?

JTobias
1st Nov 2009, 19:29
Yes, it's an AAIB reportable incident although I doubt they will investigate as thankfully there were no injuries.

Joel

bolkow
2nd Nov 2009, 14:10
Jeeze, perhaps the blades dazzled the old boy?

JTobias
2nd Nov 2009, 14:30
Oddly enough, they were specifically painted that way to make it more bloody visible!!!

Perhaps a refund might be in order!

Clitheroe Kid
2nd Nov 2009, 14:36
Jamie, I am a part owner of G-LADZ and was there on the day of the accident. I logged the incident with the AAIB over the phone on Sunday Morning. Although it was a reportable incident, they will not investigate further as thankfully nobody was hurt. I have also spoken to the 88 year old pilot of the Cessna who was shocked and embarrassed but otherwise ok. The aircraft is being recovered today, and i expect to have a preliminary damage report within the next few days.

JTobias
2nd Nov 2009, 14:41
Bloody hell, Steve, I thought you were the only octogenarian still flying.

Joel;)

anyway I'm glad to see G-LADZ is in good hands as per the latest photographs of her :-

http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/ii457/joel_tobias/G-LADZ/G-LADZ_poorly.jpg

007helicopter
2nd Nov 2009, 19:07
I have also spoken to the 88 year old pilot of the Cessna who was shocked and embarrassed but otherwise ok.

Did he explain what or why it happened?

Have to feel some sympathy for him as well

Barshifter
2nd Nov 2009, 19:36
Sorry to hear about that.

Here she is in happier times at the Barton Fly-In this year

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f84/Barshifter/G-LADZ.jpg

JTobias
2nd Nov 2009, 20:09
Wahay

G-LADZ flying, now that's a rare thing these days. :p

Have you noticed how it looks in the photograph? The pilot has it under complete control, as if the machine is an extension to his body.

Can you see the way in which it is being held in a perfect hover whilst being gently reversed out of it's parking slot?

This is clearly a photograph of a masterful and expert pilot at work.

Who is flying it?

Oh, it's me!!!!! :E

Joel

TheOptimist
2nd Nov 2009, 20:42
So what happened exactly, barring the obvious?

I imagine the pilot of the aircraft at fault opened the throttle to shut down the engine (along with retarding the mixture etc) and simply forgot to close it before he started the thing again.

Purely speculative.

206 jock
2nd Nov 2009, 21:50
Have you noticed how it looks in the photograph? The pilot has it under complete control, as if the machine is an extension to his body.

Can you see the way in which it is being held in a perfect hover whilst being gently reversed out of it's parking slot?

This is clearly a photograph of a masterful and expert pilot at work.

Who is flying it?

Oh, it's me!!!!!

Hmmm. Like elephants, helo pilots have long(ish) memories. Always best not to blow one's trumpet too much in this game.

I shared the flying with a pal of mine throughout the day, but the "scary lift" was mine. I regret it's not my usual standard or style but ATC advised me that there was an R44 immediately behind me so I chose to lift and transition away, only for them to remind me that I shouldn't overfly to the West.

I chose to turn away and from the area and it left me flying towards the tress. I knew they were there and I was light with plenty of power but it didn't look good and I'm not happy about it. In hindsight I should have continued because I would still have been clear of the area or waited and used the FATO.

I've been chastised already by my very good friend and instructor ( I do oodles of continuation training) who watched from the ground and bollocked me

JTobias
2nd Nov 2009, 21:59
And you're point is what exactly?

Joel

Whirlygig
2nd Nov 2009, 22:36
206jock, I could see Joel's tongue in his cheek from Norfolk :}

...and it's a "good" pilot who can publicly admit his mistakes using his real name :ok:

Cheers

Whirls

JTobias
3rd Nov 2009, 08:29
Thanks Whirlygig

Perhaps the subtleties of my humour have been lost on 206 Jock. However it's not the first time he has made some adverse reference to me, so maybe he has something against me, though I would love to know why?

Maybe he doesn't realise that I used to own a part share in G-LADZ and have over 250 hours logged in her, or that it is traditionally parked yards away from my own helicopter at Barton, a further demonstration of our friendship!

He probably isn't aware that 4 of the owners in LADZ are very close friends of mine and 2 of them in particular fly my Jet Ranger regularly, and will probably fly her more so now.

He certainly doesn't realise that this afternoon I'm flying 2 of them over to their maintenance facility to meet with insurers etc to discuss the repairs on LADZ, so close is our friendship.

I forgive him though, because his windshield is clearly misted up and I suspect that now the windows have been opened up he will be able to see that much more clearly now.

One would hope so anyway !!!:ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

206 jock
3rd Nov 2009, 10:09
Just not that keen on people bigging themselves up, that's all. But each to their own. Joel, I've never met you (I don't think) and sometimes even glance at your blog in idle moments and have nothing against you. Nor do I have misted up windows (wasn't aware that I'd asked for forgiveness, by the way, but thanks anyway).

And Whirls, do you admit your mistakes with a public name?

http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/348834-know-good-accountant.html

Just asking, as they say.

JTobias
3rd Nov 2009, 10:16
206Jock

Are you having a bad day?
It was a tongue in cheek comment for G-D's sake. I rarely "big myself up" and I don't consider I was doing it then either!

Chill out please, and let's everyone stay pals!!!!!

Hope you enjoy my blog.

Whirlygig
3rd Nov 2009, 10:18
Wow, punchy today aren't we 206jock? :} Have a pop at me 'cos I defended someone else you decided to have a go at? :rolleyes:

Cheers

Whirls

JTobias
4th Nov 2009, 08:23
People

A slight update here (http://jetbox.wordpress.com/2009/11/04/g-ladz-update/) if you're interested.

Joel :ok:

Gaseous
5th Nov 2009, 19:41
Hmm, Thats looking expensive. 50 -70K for the obvious damage at a rough estimate. Let us know if they write it off. It would look nice in my Enstrom graveyard.:E

JTobias
5th Nov 2009, 19:43
Gaseous

I don't think your estimate will be far out!

Heli-Ice
6th Nov 2009, 08:37
Does the tea taste bad in England these days or...? (referring to Jocks go at Jt)

JTobias
6th Nov 2009, 12:22
Heli-ice,

I think he was having a bad day!!