PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Conversion Question ;-)

theaviator2005
31st Oct 2009, 11:56
Hello,

Sitting with a few friends talking and was wondering if anyone would know anything about our following Question!!!!.

If a person is sitting with his/her FAA ATP with lets say 3000 hours total time and 1-2 PIC typeratings and wants to convert to JAA ATPL, he/she have already done the 14 exams and passed and can now do under the regulations as he/she have over 1500 hrs MULTI crew time a Skill test in the jet they are rated in.

Heres the question: Under these regulations you can do a skill test in the aircraft or SIM but would need a CAA examiner with you this is often HIGHLY expencive as they fly FIRST CLASS and stay in 5 star hotels ontop of renting the aircraft or SIM.

Would the following be possible? As they have already passed their JAA ATPL exams, just do a simple CPL, MULTI/IR conversion !!!!
This should give them their JAA ATPL Unfrozen as far as i know, granted their Typeratings would not be valid under JAA.
But as far as i know, but not sure if im right or not, if they do it this way all they would have to do to get their Typeratings JAA is to do the JAA simride on a Renewal next time they go for Recurrent training!!!!!

Thanks

GusHoneybun
31st Oct 2009, 14:42
just do a simple CPL, MULTI/IR conversion !!!!

no such thing, i'm afraid. taking your scenario for a like for like conversion. first, for the IR, there is a minimum of 15 hours instruction, plus a skill test fee, and aircraft hire for the test. the CPL is training as required, plus another skills test and aircraft hire. and don't forget the multi engine class rating, which could be as simple as just a test (plus fee of course), or if the CAA are being picky, the full course.

This should give them their JAA ATPL Unfrozen as far as i know

not true. the JAR ATPL is issued after completing all the pre-requisites (1500 hours, 500 multi crew, blah, blah) and passing an ATPL skills test. it turns out most people do this test as part of the normal OPC/LPC requirements of their company.

no short cuts in JAA-land, keeps the riff-raff out.

theaviator2005
31st Oct 2009, 15:17
I hear what you say, what i meant was it would be much Cheaper to do the MULTI Commercial IR though it requires 15 hrs for IR and hours for the CPL compared to get a SIM or Jet plus examiner and so on running cost easy over $25,000 usd.

Yes i know you wouldnt have an UN-frozen ATPL right away but if you read what i wrote the person already meets the hour requirements which means just having to do a skill test which can be done during a re-current in a sim next time going for training.

Again im not sure you were reading what i wrote right.... By saying just do a simple CPL, MULTI/IR conversion, i of cause knows the requirements for this but find this a much easier and CHEAPER process!!!!

runway067
21st Jan 2010, 16:10
Are by chance A320 type rated? I am going to do a skill test on A320 simulator in Amsterdam and looking for mate. If interested drop me line on [email protected]