PDA

View Full Version : See this happening in the UK ??

Hammer Head Too
31st Oct 2009, 08:30
Apologies. Didn't know how to download the whole ad. But these are the words. Can you imagine this happening down the local Honda dealership?

Honoring America's Armed Forces With An Additional $1,000 Back A New Victory Motorcycle

Victory is proud to announce the Victory Full Throttle Salute. Victory salutes the service and commitment of all U.S. military personnel. For a limited time, visit any Victory dealer to make your best offer on a new Victory motorcycle and Victory will give you an additional $1,000 cash back on top of that with proof of a valid U.S. military ID. You've got our backs, now we've got yours. Click on the link above to visit victorymotorcycles-military.com and download your Full Throttle Salute coupon today! Don't delay-offers ends December 31, 2009.

The Victory Full Throttle Salute is available at all Victory dealers. Offer good on all Victory models through December 31st, 2009. Offer extended to all active, reserve, National Guard, and retired U.S. and Canadian military with proof of a valid military ID. Offer redeemable for $1000 USD or $1100 CND. Offer not redeemable for cash.

Victory and Victory Motorcycles® are registered trademarks of Polaris Industries Inc. Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing and obey the speed limit. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol. ©2009 Polaris Industries Inc.

This email was sent by: Polaris Industries Inc.
2100 Highway 55 Medina, MN, 55340, USA
Go here to leave this mailing list.
We respect your right to privacy - click here to view our policy.

HH2

anotherthing
31st Oct 2009, 09:29
Frankly I don't. But what is your point?

There is no doubt that our Armed Forces do a sterling job. There is also no doubt whatsoever that they deserve better treatment from the Governement etc.

But what makes you think that private companies should give discounts etc to those in the Armed Forces? One could argue that as signing up is voluntary, you know what you are getting yourself into.

What makes you so deserving as a serving member? What about those serving who will never get near an operational theatre in their career - maybe never leaving an office in the UK (whilst still doing an important job) - do they deserve a discount too?

What about firemen, nurses etc and other 'public servants' who work long hard hours and get screwed by HMG as well?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a staunch supporter of our forces having served myself for 12 years and having many friends still 'in', many working at the sharp end.

However sometimes the idea that people are 'owed' things because of what they do goes too far.

Our Armed Forces are owed a better standard of equipping. Better accomodation on base. Better pay, especially lower ranks. Better levels of support from Downing Street and mnadarins that are worthy of working for the Forces etc.

They also deserve more acclaim from the public, but in this day and age that is more and more difficult to come by.

But extra discounts from private companies? These companies could quite rightly point to many other professions that equally deserve such perks.

If these companies were to offer discounts, then great - good on them (there's a Ford dealership near me that offers forces discount for example) - but it's not a God given right!

newt
31st Oct 2009, 09:42
What is your problem anotherthing? Most large organisations get discounts on all sorts of things even in the UK. Its good for business!

No doubt you make good use of BOGOF offers in your local Tesco so whats the problem with the Armed Forces getting a few perks!! We had very few when I was a serving member and in those days we were not getting shot at on a regular basis!

anotherthing
31st Oct 2009, 09:58
newt, my point is that some people think that they should get discounts as a matter of course.

I was making the point that there are many deserving professions out there that would equally benefit.

Every once in a while in this forum we have people harping on about the fact that they do not get discounts or special treatment from a,b, or c - even though they are in the Armed Forces.

Being in the Armed Forces does not mean you should be treated differently or put on a pedestal. You should be appreciated, treated with respect, given what you are due (in terms of Ts and Cs, equipment etc).

Comparing it to BOGOF in a local supermarket is completely missing the point and is comparing apples with pears - we are talking about some people thinking they deserve special treatment because of what they do for a living.

Don't get me wrong, I support our Forces 100% and the appropriate charities are the only ones I give money to, but being a member does not mean you automatically deserve to, or should by right, get extra discounts etc.

If any company wishes to do so and targets thet Armed Forces specifically then more power to them, but it is not a right as some people seem to think!!

No doubt you make good use of BOGOF offers in your local Tesco so whats the problem with the Armed Forces getting a few perks!! We had very few when I was a serving member and in those days we were not getting shot at on a regular basis!
totally invalid argument (see above). Also, there are a lot of members of the Armed Forces who will never be near an enemy bullet in their career - either through sheer good luck, or by the choice of trade. Do they become less deserving as they are notgetting shot at on a regular basis??

Fat Chris
31st Oct 2009, 10:52
anotherthing, I think you should re-read the thread from the beginning and have a think about your two rants.

The original post mentioned nothing about being deserving as a serving member never mind harping on about the fact that they do not get discounts or special treatment It actually came across as a light-hearted, ironic view at the differences between the American and British public's opinion of their respective armed forces.

You are an angry little person aren't you?

Pontius Navigator
31st Oct 2009, 11:01
some people think that they should get discounts as a matter of course.

Actually yes.

There is a certain group of people happy to pay the displayed price for something and there are many who are not.

Overseas it is accepted trading practise to haggle over a price. In UK we are learning. Shops survive by making a profit; they do not make a profit stocking shelves.

Many shops are happy to accept offers which may be lower than their initial markup but gives them more cash earlier than they might get later in a sale. This has absolutely nothing to do with a deserving section of the population but a simple marketting ploy that both attracts customers and gains useful publicity.

Contrast with S*******'s banning the wearing of uniform in the store or Peterborough where Servicemen were banned from wearing uniforms. Both very negative forms of publicity.

Now my local dry cleaners offers 10% discount - no fanfare - but a very pleasant surprise and one that encourages me to return and even use them more frequently (no gags please).

Whirlygig
31st Oct 2009, 11:03
The British Armed Forces, public servants and civil servants do get many discounts from various organisations and companies; it's just that those organisations don't shout about it.

So yes, I CAN see it happening in the UK.

Cheers

Whirls

cornish-stormrider
31st Oct 2009, 11:12
Indeed, but if there were two car dealers in the UK and one offered (and advertised) Mil discount and the other did not then which would we go to?

I don't disagree about the point of we have a right to as we do not. It is bloody nice when someone puts their money where their mouth is and stumps up some readies in the form of a discount

Kipling was right sadly. most of the time it's P*ss off solider boy until the whistle blows.

Two's in
31st Oct 2009, 14:20
Wow! I thought HH2 had simply asked if we could see anyone in the UK applying this clever piece of marketing, whereby the Mil get a discount, the dealer gets more sales, and the company probably gets some free publicity.

I missed the bits where he asked if such recipients were deserving enough, had been under sustained enemy fire for 6 hours or more, had been first responders recently refused a discount or insulted by a motorcycle dealer, or had a false sense of entitlement to such largesse. I must learn to read these things more accurately.

Ali Barber
31st Oct 2009, 14:39
It's just the way the US view their military that is so different from UK. It's also good marketing strategy. Victory has struggled as the poor man's Harley for a long time and was coming good as the credit crunch hit. By advertising this in the US, they won't just get the serviceman's cash, they'll get that of others who support a company that supports their troops.

knowitall
31st Oct 2009, 15:11
"Indeed, but if there were two car dealers in the UK and one offered (and advertised) Mil discount and the other did not then which would we go to?"

who ever gave me the best deal regardless of any "discount" which would probably be the car supermarket down the road

I've no doubt if the man off the street walked into the motorcyle dealers mentioned in the first post he could get a simmilar overall deal

as has already been said its just marketing

Runaway Gun
31st Oct 2009, 15:38
make your best offer on a new Victory motorcycle and Victory will give you an additional $1,000 cash back on top of that with proof of a valid U.S. military ID

This sounds like the Military Staff DO get an EXTRA $1000 off what the man who walked in off the street would get. I'd certainly shop from them.

newt
31st Oct 2009, 16:16
Well "anotherthing" you are hot under the collar! I should watch your blood pressure old chap!

It never hurt anyone to ask for some discount. If that was understood before the start of negotiations then all the better in my book!

I'm off to Tesco now to see what is on offer. Then to the Porsche garage to see what Airline discount I can get!

knowitall
31st Oct 2009, 16:28
"This sounds like the Military Staff DO get an EXTRA $1000 off what the man who walked in off the street would get."

thats what its supposed to sound like

note that its cashback, so thats a thousand bucks you'll likley be paying interest on for starters, if you use credit to buy it (which most americans do)

like i said they'll still be making a profit at that price so if they're willing to offer that deal to forces personell they'll offer it to anyone

Cynical, moi?

you bet

beardy
31st Oct 2009, 16:45
http://wondermark.com/c/2009-10-16-561discount.gif