PDA

View Full Version : BFR - New classroom work?

The Original Jetpipe
31st Oct 2009, 01:37
Hi All,

Just booked in for my BFR and been informed they is a "new procedure" it is not just a flight test anymore but a some class room/text book work included in the test.

Can anybody confirm this? and advise as to what might be ask/tested on? (My testing school did not give me any info?)

Thanks in advance
TOJP.

Peter Fanelli
31st Oct 2009, 01:45
Since when is a BFR a test?
It's supposed to be a review.

The Original Jetpipe
31st Oct 2009, 02:13
Test/review........you can still fail it! therefore in my mind it makes it a test!
More interested in the ground school/class room work before hand!

Aerohooligan
31st Oct 2009, 02:54
G'day Jetpipe

I work for a flying school/charter company, so hopefully I can shed some light for you, though I'm not an instructor (I work closely with them).

My recommendation is this: know your aircraft thoroughly, know your navigational techniques and procedures and above all, know the rules. This seems to be the biggest sticking point with AFRs, from talking to the boys. You will be expected to be able to use the AIP, CAO, CARs, possibly CAAPs (eg CAAP 232, ALA Guidelines), ERSA or Jepps if you happen to use those, to extract information and regulations relevant to the kinds of operations you most frequently conduct. If you're Day VFR, for example, they won't be asking you bastard questions about NVFR or IFR ops, obviously, so tailor your study to your needs.

However, at the end of the day, don't sweat it. As long as you don't do anything blatantly unsafe or illegal, you should be fine. As stated, it's a review - you're allowed to stuff things up. It's designed so that you can be assessed and then brought up to speed on anything that has become a bit fuzzy in the last two years.

Good luck with it and happy flying.

Icarus2001
31st Oct 2009, 07:06
Well first up it has not been called a BFR for a long time. It is an AFR, look it up.

DCA - CAA - CASA have always been gloriously vague about what should be checked/reviewed so it has varied from school to school. Should be a check in the aircraft you have flown in the most in the last little while and should include theory - load systems - rule changes since last review etc that sort of thing.

http://agencysearch.australia.gov.au/search/click.cgi?rank=2&collection=agencies&component=0&docnum=1132961&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.casa.gov.au%2Fdownload%2FCAAPs%2Fops%2F 5_81_1.pdf

VH-XXX
31st Oct 2009, 07:45
There's a mob at Moorabbin claiming that you have do do a heap of book work nowdays for a AFR along with a 2.5 hour (yes, 2.5 hour) flight.

I said no thanks, I don't wanna do my whole PPL again thank you.

Capt Mo
31st Oct 2009, 08:24
Original jetpipe

Check out the CAAP, http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/download/caaps/ops/5_81_1.pdf
it even includes the assessment form for the person conducting the review.

A review should be just that, not a test in the same way as a PPL flight test but a chance to revise their existing knowledge, learn something and come away from it with a positive outcome.

As for the flight, in order to cover all of the items - and the optional nav it takes about 2.5 hours, just like a PPL flight test.

It doesn't have to be a long nav, but consider this, you're doing a review for someone you have never flown with, who hasn't flown much, maybe not a single cross country and intends on doing this after their review, would you want to be the instructor that didnt cover that optional component if that person then became involved in an incident or accident? Signing off a person for an AFR isn't a responsibility to be taken lightly - so consider it from that instructors perspective. And if you don't like it go somewhere else.

Cheers,

Mo :ok:

Arnold E
31st Oct 2009, 11:24
And if you don't like it go somewhere else.

Thank you, I will

Peter Fanelli
31st Oct 2009, 11:35
Well first up it has not been called a BFR for a long time. It is an AFR, look it up.

DCA - CAA - CASA have always been gloriously vague about what should be checked/reviewed so it has varied from school to school.

Not wanting to be too pedantic, but the BFR did not exist in the DCA days.

RV6
31st Oct 2009, 12:50
The school may be referring to the requirement for pilots to complete the CASA Human Factors syllabus at or before their next AFR. The syllabus is available on the CASA web site and the school should be able to point you towards the various text books now available.

YPJT
31st Oct 2009, 13:12

I did in the reference you kindly provided -
"5.1 In this CAAP the process of undertaking a biennial
assessment of a pilot’s skills and knowledge is referred to as a
flight review. In Australia the terms Aeroplane Flight Review
(AFR) and Biennial Flight Review (BFR) are commonly used."

AutopilotEngage
1st Nov 2009, 01:24
Well first up it has not been called a BFR for a long time. It is an AFR, look it up

In NZ it's a BFR, how do you know he's not from NZ?

mcgrath50
1st Nov 2009, 01:40
The Original Jetpipe (http://www.pprune.org/members/51945-the-original-jetpipe)

Definitely a kiwi!

The Original Jetpipe
1st Nov 2009, 08:19
Thanks for the link Capt Mo it helped with study!

And as to my location you are way off!!! think pink floyd!

mcgrath50
1st Nov 2009, 09:30
Yes the moon, empty of people and not as good as it's larger neighbour. Also known as New Zealand :ok:

Runaway Gun
1st Nov 2009, 09:33
The BFR/AFR isn't meant to catch people out, test them and make a fool of them.

It's a review designed to check on your important skills required. See it as a chance to brush up on your skills, as opposed to an insult to your experience.

We all have something to learn - and you never know, it might just save your life.

bentleg
1st Nov 2009, 10:32
Be prepared to plan a simple Nav, get WX etc. In flight do a stall, steep turns, correct entry to a CTAF etc. In any of this if you dont get it right the instructor will help you out. Thats what the AFR is all about.

MakeItHappenCaptain
1st Nov 2009, 21:55
the requirement for pilots to complete the CASA Human Factors syllabus at or before their next AFR

Got a reference for this?