PDA

View Full Version : What are Helipads' REAL Limits; MTOW or Actual Weight ?

FlyHiGuy
30th Oct 2009, 09:41
Hello All: Sorry for my naivety here but I am only a military pilot. I have a friend who has a problem planning a helicopter use around downtown areas and most of the helipads are rated for a certain maximum weight. He is a bit worried that buying a new helicopter he will not be able to operate it to most/all of the rooftop pads because the aircraft of his choice (AW139) is over the limit of most of the pads which are only designed with the S-76 in mind. Can anyone/everyone tell me what the real limits are for these pad ? I'd like to get more than one input for sure from different perspectives/countries/CASA vs FAA vs CAA, etc in case they differ. Essentially, the 139 can operate at S-76/B412 weights with lower fuel loadings which is all he needs for the short hops he wants to make to and from these pads. Your inputs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks !

212man
30th Oct 2009, 11:14
Well, I've been to 'the Helipad' in Singapore, and I wouldn't recomend trying to land an AW139 there :E (Helipad (http://www.helipad.com.sg/v2/index.html))

Seriously, I think that the other main consideration will be the dimensions. Normal Helipad ops in accordance with ICAO recommendations (Annex 6 and Annex 14 Vol 2) require a 1.5D pad, which I assume will mean the the 76 pads may well be smaller than required (depending on whether they were specifically designed for the 76, or just have a weight limit approximately the same.) On the other hand, if the intent is private use (lots of rich businessmen in the area) the situation will be different again - but will depend on the national regulator's rules.

Best to get the regulator's take on it I'd suggest! :ok:

SafetyCase
30th Oct 2009, 11:56
Call these guys:

Helideck Certification Agency - Home (http://www.helidecks.org/)

They might have some advise to offer, not only on offshore decks.

brgds

Runway101
30th Oct 2009, 12:33
I'd like to have a friend with money to buy a 139 for downtown use too (in a town/country that's half the size of my backyard)...

;)