PDA

View Full Version : 2nd hand AIP etc for ATPL Airlaw?

The Darkness
29th Oct 2009, 21:00
Not wanting to sound the cheapo, but probably will.

Am looking at sitting both the CPL and ATPL Airlaw exams in the next few months.

Do I need brand-spanking new documents, or will a 2nd hand set suffice? Does anybody actually re-sell these? Is this a case of wishful thinking on my part?

Any information appreciated from those in-the-know.

Thanks in advance,
The Darkness

tmpffisch
29th Oct 2009, 22:11
People do use 2nd hand documents, and they do get resold.
I've probably got some documents I don't need anymore and can get rid of.

Unhinged
29th Oct 2009, 22:52
When you buy the docs at a pilot shop you also pay significant dollars for the Amendment Service subscription, fancy binders, etc, which you don't need just for sitting the exams.

Unlike a pilot's shop, the Airservices Australia online store can sell you just the important stuff at a much better price. e.g. CAOs complete $110, Text only $20. CARs complete $250, Text only $80 ...

When you're ready to study, go to the AA store (Airservices Australia - Online Store (http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/store/default.asp)) and buy "text only" versions of the documents you need. Put them in binders from OfficeWorks and tag them appropriately. You'll have current docs and save a heap.

No junk male
29th Oct 2009, 23:05
thanks 'unhinged'... that is great info and helps allot of us in the same situation.

Cheers:ok:

tail wheel
29th Oct 2009, 23:29
CARs complete $250,

CARs FREE (http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_90902) - with the Act thrown in!

training wheels
29th Oct 2009, 23:33
If you buy them second hand, at least make sure they're all current with amendments updated. Not that many of the regs have changed much recently, but if you're up for a checkride with a CASA ATO, they may check your docs for currency (mine did when I did my MECIR initial a few years ago).

Unhinged
30th Oct 2009, 00:22
CARs FREE - with the Act thrown in!

Very true Tailly, and a good reference while studying. But you can't use electronic documents in the exams, and the cost + hassle of printing several kg of paper would be huge for most of us.

I just wanted cheap paper copies that I could tag while studying, and then throw out afterwards without hurting from the cost !

BTW, the price of the printed Regs does include the Act + CARs + CASRs

The Darkness
30th Oct 2009, 16:37
Thanks for all the insights. AirServices may be the way to go. But I'll try contacting anyone that may have current sets for sale too!!