PDA

View Full Version : Angel Flight Insurance

Cap'n Arrr
29th Oct 2009, 03:51
Hey,

Just a quick question for those already involved, how do you normally meet this requirement?

5 - There is in force liability insurance providing me with insurance cover in respect of personal injuries or property damage potentially arising from, or related to, the flight with a minimum limit of indemnity of AUD$2 million (whether I intend to fly an aircraft I own or not).

Is it normally covered as part of the hire agreement (I don't own an aircraft), or do you have to take out insurance privately?

Cheers

Cap'n

UnderneathTheRadar
29th Oct 2009, 07:42
That would be normal - the plane's insurance usually covers liability for injuries etc. You will need to check with the person you hire the plane from....

If that isn't covered on the policy, then a call to one of the two biggies can get you a non-ownership policy which covers you (and passengers) on any aircraft you're authorised to fly.

As an aside, are you saying that you hire aircraft with no idea what the insurances of the owner are? Or at least what your liabilites would be? What happens if you crash with a plane full of mates, injure one and they sue you?

UTR.

bentleg
29th Oct 2009, 07:48
I agree that 2M insurance by the owner would be normal, but don't risk it, check..........

I don't own an ac, but I have checked that the ac I fly is covered. AF are happy with that.

Cap'n Arrr
30th Oct 2009, 02:54
Thanks for that guys.:ok:

UTR - I always check the insurance for any plane I hire, I just wasn't sure if AF wanted extra insurance on top of what is already there for you personally, or just to make sure that whatever is hired is covered for the 2M min. Totally agree that it would be unforgiveable to fail to know your insurance:eek:

LeadSled
3rd Nov 2009, 12:44
Cap'n Arrr,
Do you always check that the insurances apply to you as a hirer or you as the pilot in command.

It always comes as a huge shock to a pilot hirer, when he or she is sued for recovery of the amount paid out to the insured, ie; the insurance underwriter is entitled to full recourse against the PIC at the time of the loss.

Most policies on private aircraft ONLY cover those named on the policy, and most certainly not anybody who flies the aircraft. Be as careful with any hire aircraft.

Don't forget, there is NO mandatory insurance requirement for aircraft used for private and aerial work, and then only for Passenger Liability for Charter and up, the hull could still have no other insurance.

$2M "combined single limit" is almost as good as no insurance, even if all the other nasties have been removed from the "standard" policies.

Do you also check that the standard clause that voids the cover, for any breach of law, even if unrelated to the accident (ie; an error is discovered on the paperwork for last 100 h/annual) has been removed from the policy.

Don't forget, aviation underwriters are not governed by most of the insurance consumer laws in place, that would otherwise ban clauses I have referred to above.

Finally, do you check that the cover is adequate, in light of each State's Damages By Aircraft Act, howsoever called. In one recent accident, a claim was made against the operator for some $70M plus for forests destroyed, and firefighting costs in the fires caused by the accident.

All this is only part of my "insurance checklist" before I touch any aircraft, except as a paying passenger.

Tootle pip!!