PDA

View Full Version : Safety - GIS survey

John R81
28th Oct 2009, 18:01
I attended the Redhill safety eavening Monday this week and listened to Gary giving his views on acidents/causes/locations. It got me to thinking.

My daughter is currently studying her MsC in a branch of geography called GIS. If you are not familure with this, it allows the analysis of data by reference to maps/terrain/etc. Use of GIS is restricted mostly by your imagination of the question to ask it. It is used for all sorts of purposes, including siting of windfarms, designing routes for road transport, hydro-electric schemes, and much more. If we had data on accidents (by date, type, speed, location, heading, and any other variable that you want to name / load) then it can be analysed to look for statistically valid trends.

My daughter has to complete a project which is "sponsored" (by which I mean "wanted", not "paid for") by business, government or non-governmental body as part of her course.

Would Gary (or anyone at CAA) be interested in providing a question (and the data) to form the basis of such a GIS project?

Please PM me if interested.

John