PDA

View Full Version : SSSA to be Slashed

Bunker Mentality
28th Oct 2009, 16:03
Posted to MOD MB? Looking for a Flat? Hope you like Bromley or East Croydon or similar.

I heard rumours last week that SSSA was to be slashed as part of the current economy drive. Yesterday, as I was 'marching out' of by bijou bachellor pad at tourex, I asked whether they were true. They are, pretty much with immediate effect.

Apparently, the agents who manage the SSSA lets (HCR) have been told to restrict lets for SO1s and 2s to the £650-750 range. The old limit has been binned. If your app's in already, you might get away under the old rules. If it's not, be prepared for a sojourn in the suburbs. On the bright side, you might well get an all-zones Oyster card out of it!

BTW, my old flat near Canary Wharf is still up for grabs. I understand the Landlord is prepared to be flexible on rent (ie, align it with the new MOD range) because he likes having MOD tenants. PM me of you're interested

Happy flat hunting!

BM

5 Forward 6 Back
28th Oct 2009, 16:20
Where are married people accommodated when posted somewhere like MB? Is SSFA hit by this as well?

Bunker Mentality
28th Oct 2009, 16:28
SSSA = Substitute Service Single Accommodation (ish). It's provided because there is no mess in central London and not enough mess accom around the edges.

Married accompanied people qualify for SFA, so SSSA doesn't apply. The people who need it are those who would otherwise live-in - ie, singlies and bean stealers.

Gainesy
28th Oct 2009, 17:07
Just out of interest, what does the £650-£750 cover?

vecvechookattack
28th Oct 2009, 17:13
A friend of mine is claiming SSSA at Yeovilton.. For his £750 he has a lovely 3 bedroomed cottage.. Very nice

Wrathmonk
28th Oct 2009, 18:41
Gainsey

Monthly rent for a 'part-furnished' flat/bedsit/room. On top of that you get food allowance (~£10-£12 a day IIRC), travel to and from your place of work (oyster card), travel back home (i.e family home) allowance (supposed to cover petrol costs for two journeys per month), London allowance (depending on location) and civilian clothing allowance (depending on rank). Utility bills are paid for directly by MOD and you can claim your telephone line rental back. TV licence fee is also paid for (unlike if you live in a Mess or accom block!) When you add it all up it comes very close to what some of our MPs are being 'slagged' off for claiming:O

Gainesy
29th Oct 2009, 11:18
Maybe, but they are mostly useless plonkers who never deploy and get shot at. Rough & smooth, smooth & rough.

Army Soldier, live in a ditch.:)

knowitall
29th Oct 2009, 12:18
"I understand the Landlord is prepared to be flexible on rent (ie, align it with the new MOD range) because he likes having MOD tenants."

i suspect he won't be alone in that

you've normally got the tenant for 2 years,

its the nearest thing to garanteed rent you'll get and

they normally dont wreck the place

with the current interest rates probably the ideal time to be driving a hard bargin

Bunker Mentality
29th Oct 2009, 13:43
Gainesy,

I hope by 'they' you meant MPs ;).

The civilian clothing allowance is for 'other ranks' only - presumably because they are all working class oiks from sink estates and would otherwise turn up in tracksuit bottoms and singlets. Officers, who are all scions of the landed gentry with private incomes and no chins, have to buy their own suits, just like they have to buy their own uniforms.

BM

Gainesy
29th Oct 2009, 15:49
I hope by 'they' you meant MPs

Of Course!

I've heard of some folk that have to buy their own furniture.:)

Wader2
29th Oct 2009, 16:38
The civilian clothing allowance is for 'other ranks' only -

Officers, who are all scions of the landed gentry with private incomes and no chins, have to buy their own suits, just like they have to buy their own uniforms.

Actually BM the officer do get an allowance of civilian clothing albeit indirectly.

An officer gets a deduction of taxable salary of £367 (last time I was told) that equates to about £147 per year tax relief. Now this is an allowance for the upkeep of his uniforn but, by definition, if he is only wearing civilian clothing the allowance would be applied to the upkeep of his civvies.

Bunker Mentality
29th Oct 2009, 17:03
Fair one, W2. However, that works out at just over £12 a month - doesn't even cover the dry cleaning.

Not that I'm whingeing -that's just the way it is as far as I'm concerned.