PDA

View Full Version : Is this true? Gen Nav Exam break down!

Pilot_x2009
28th Oct 2009, 15:54
Hi, Can anyone please confirm who has sat the Gen Nav paper more recently if the below is a good indication of a break down in the number of questions that maybe asked for each topic area.. or is the paper a complete random from the database, so maybe i'll get 54Q's on CRP :ok: instead of 27 charts & 27 Convergency :eek:.

Basics Of Navigation 8
Magnetism & Compasses 2
Charts 9
Dead Reckoning Navigation 13
In-fright Navigation 11
Inertial Navigation Systems 11
-----

Feed back will be most appreciated :D..

Cheers,

BHenderson
28th Oct 2009, 16:19
Looks correct. There is a document somewhere with this information in.

clunk1001
28th Oct 2009, 17:09
The title " Gen Nav Exam break down! " has me picturing students curled up under their desks in the exam room at aviation house sobbing into their CRP.

....which is also correct ;)

Enjoy!

Grasscarp
28th Oct 2009, 21:31
Yes, I have done some of this in my life!

SweetChariotXV
29th Oct 2009, 00:10
I did GNAV exam at the beginning of this month (October). I was very surprised at the questions. As far as I can remember, this is a (very) rough break down;

* 01 polar stereographic question, converting magnetic to true, then grid course. But trick in question was most people including me put outbound grid course. They were asking for VOR radial. Therefore I should have taken the reciprocal of the track!

* 01 conversion angle question that I remember. No convergence questions. No using departure formula questions.

* Plenty of crp-5 questions using whizz wheel, working out winds, true tracks, cross wind components etc

* A few performance type questions, rate of climb, true altitude etc

* About 10 plotting questions on the ELO1 or 1A chart - basically the chart with Ireland on it

* Can't remember any INS questions. But can't be sure of that. Just remember being very suprised at performance type questions, lack of p. stereographic, c. angle, and convergence type stuff

Best bet, be as prepared as possible as I found it completely not what I was expecting!

JohnGV
29th Oct 2009, 00:11
Just learn it! and get it done!:ugh:

Halfbaked_Boy
29th Oct 2009, 01:03
SweetChariot,

The answer to the polar stero question was 102 degrees true if I remember right?!

And correct, there were a hell of a lot of CRP Qs at the start of our paper, but as has already been pointed out, they can ask ANYTHING, and I'm uncertain as to how closely they stick to the guideline proportions given above...

:ok:

BoeingMEL
29th Oct 2009, 07:54
Just get a reasonable grasp of the subject and you'll get it done. WTH does it matter if a certain % of the questions are INS-related? Or polar-stereo? If you've grasped the subject it doesn't matter! a :mad:

IMHO those setting the exam questions are pretty nimble and can be reasonably expected to keep moving the goal-posts! Learn the stuff, pass the exams and crack on! Good luck to you all anyway.:ok: bm

av624
29th Oct 2009, 07:57
My Gen Nav exam was pretty straight forward... but like every ATPL exam you will/may get a couple of tricky questions. Mine had 2 questions about mean and apparant sun, which i was unsure about.

I dont think it matters about what papers people have sat recently as the next paper will be completely different.

Good luck :ok:

Apollo_Kid
29th Oct 2009, 08:54
Isn't it possible to use computers instead of old wheel CRP-5 on your test? I have my ASA CX-2 Pathfinder and it is like the gift from above for all calculations! Or is it just me who used it during exam...:)

chrisbl
29th Oct 2009, 21:12
CX 2 is not allowed in the exam.

Halfbaked_Boy
29th Oct 2009, 21:53
Apollo_Kid,

Nope, not allowed...

Haha, that's brilliant :D

SweetChariotXV
30th Oct 2009, 00:09
Just learn it! and get it done!

quite correct.

However, as per my point of my previous post, just be prepared. The exam can come up with plenty of surprises. DON'T rely on bristol - the guys from my course that did were the ones that falled short.

But if you actually pay attention and really learn the subject, it can be quite interesting.

Good luck

flyvirgin
10th Jan 2010, 09:12
Does Anyone know where i can get a got list with all the symbols for the chart (plotting) on,
I have got some in the book but they dont seem clear,
Cheers,