PDA

View Full Version : What is the best piece of kit ever issued

billynospares
28th Oct 2009, 14:52
Just a fun thread for you today. What is the best piece of kit you have ever been issued past or present ?

Shack37
28th Oct 2009, 15:00
RAF Form 856 (Nov 1964 Revision)
Issued 20th May 1971

Still in mint condition after 38 years.

BEagle
28th Oct 2009, 15:04
The compo tin widger.

cornish-stormrider
28th Oct 2009, 15:12
The sling for the SA-80 (or whatever we call our guns this week)
GS screwdriver

cazatou
28th Oct 2009, 15:15
1972 Disruptive Pattern Cold Weather Flying Jacket. I rescued it from the waste skip after handing it in on leaving in 1996 - and I still use it for Gardening today.

sycamore
28th Oct 2009, 15:21
RAF Flying gloves,and silk inners..

airborne_artist
28th Oct 2009, 15:21
Issue long johns with a 1953 maker's label. Six years older than me, spent twenty-six years on shelves being counted by generations of stackers before finally issued to me in 1979.

Have kept me warm on many a cold day since.

AR15 was nice, too, but I didn't get to keep it, sadly :}

rogerk
28th Oct 2009, 15:29
RAF Form 1767
(Revised Dec 1964)
First entry 14 January 1970.
... and the required "Bone Dome" - and if you were caught swinging it by the straps ???:=:=:=

Len Ganley
28th Oct 2009, 15:36
Cap Extreme Cold Weather - the one with the fleecy ear flaps.
Also known as DILAC - 'Don't I look a c***'

London Eye
28th Oct 2009, 15:52
I quite liked the kit issued to Section Officer Harvey in the Battle of Britain. Kathy West did a pretty good batlefield reconstruction later I recall. Please, do not post the images - BEags is getting on a bit nowadays:ok:.

airborne_artist
28th Oct 2009, 15:55
Kathy West did a pretty good batlefield reconstruction

I believe that BEags is on the waiting list to go on the tour of that battlefield :ok:

London Eye
28th Oct 2009, 15:58
I may have the map in a draw at home :O.

ian16th
28th Oct 2009, 16:26
The 'KD' pyjama's that we were issued with in the 50's and 60's. I had about half a dozen pairs that lasted many years into civvy St.

My shoe brushes are still operating 100% after 57 years :ok:

I must also 2nd the GS Screwdriver. I wish I'd managed to keep one.

Shack37
28th Oct 2009, 16:38
Just a fun thread for you today. What is the best piece of kit you have ever been issued past or present ?

Adjustable shifter (can't get funnier than that)

sitigeltfel
28th Oct 2009, 16:42
Wooly Pully, mid 70s. Eliminated a lot of shirt ironing!

OKOC
28th Oct 2009, 16:46
I nominate the "head-over" thingy, mine is a grey colour not like the war-like green stuff issued thesedays. I still use mine at Bath Rugby and still get weird looks--I don't know if it's me or my grey thingy.

BEagle
28th Oct 2009, 16:51
Having compared at length the relative merits and assets of Kathy West and 'Section Officer Harvey', I have to conclude a preference for the latter....

Or rather, the 1968 model of the latter.

Gainesy
28th Oct 2009, 17:02
Compo widget is good, still have two and the Spam version which is about twice the length so easier to use.

Compo sausages.

Cold wx flying jacket was pretty good.

Big Blue Bogroll.

Worst?

V-neck wooly pully.

Issue KD.

Issue instant coffee.:yuk:

Krystal n chips
28th Oct 2009, 17:17
Another vote for the compo tin opener thingy.......and also for the 70's style hold-all....the ones with the solid base....always useful for, ahem, "encouraging" Tube travellers to make a space for you if "excuse me please" didn't work...a rather satisfying sound of wood on shin usually got the message across thereafter....still got two in fact... as robust now as they were back then.

goudie
28th Oct 2009, 17:36
Shirts with attached collars!

OKOC
28th Oct 2009, 17:46
Oh Yeah, and the PT, (PE), or whateva, kit circa 1971 esp on the female front.

Out Of Trim
28th Oct 2009, 17:51
Another vote for the compo rations Tin-Opener! I still have one in my Survival Tobacco tin with OXO cubes and fish hooks etc.. :}

Pontius Navigator
28th Oct 2009, 17:56
V-force zuite suite for Mk 2 crews only - free uniform for 10 years and looked the bizz.

PS

And worst had to be the hairy blue where the jacket never met the trousers.

High_Expect
28th Oct 2009, 17:57
An MT hire car.... Fastest car in reverse ever... FACT! :ok:

Gainesy
28th Oct 2009, 17:59
OKOC, there are sites for those sort of feti... er.. interests, Gloggle Roedean PE kit reinforced gusset, 1958 pattern. or something like that.:)

OKOC
28th Oct 2009, 18:17
I say Gainsay old chap--"Gloggle Roedean PE kit reinforced gusset, 1958 pattern. or something like that". How do you know about specifics like 1958 pattern etc ?:\

rock34
28th Oct 2009, 18:20
A set of 'laser' proof goggles. I kid you not. Make a good set of skiing goggles too!

Rossian
28th Oct 2009, 18:37
sans doute - the acrilan pile long johns and roll neck top half issued in mid'70s. Almost, ALMOST, I said better than sex. Catch was, it generated humungous amounts of static lecky which belted your knuckles as you walked through the aircraft and brushed against metal.

The Ancient Mariner

NutLoose
28th Oct 2009, 18:38
Yup....

Best,

The Compo Can Opener,
Babies Heads
SLR, (trigger guard perfectly designed as a beer bottle opener)
Grey Arctic Parka with the Wolverine fur rim to the hood

Worst,

Hexamine cooker

White Shiny Toilet Paper each sheet printed with Government Property
(remember that?)
It was and still remains the only Government White Paper worth a sh*t :ok:

Data-Lynx
28th Oct 2009, 18:45
I'm with Cazatou on the DPM Cold Wx Flying Jacket. Years of use, even after flying kit was returned, and so good in fact that son stole it for OTC. I am reminded to get it back. Thanks.

L J R
28th Oct 2009, 18:52
RAF Flying Socks - Easily beats ANY other Foreign Air Force kit..(for a change).

The Real Slim Shady
28th Oct 2009, 19:06
I'm with Nut Loose on Babies Heads!:D

The best bit of kit NEVER issued....Mike Rothwell's wet weather clothing.

Best bit issued...the fast black on the UAS...Vauxhall Cavalier or the like.

Pontius Navigator
28th Oct 2009, 19:17
sans doute - the acrilan pile long johns and roll neck top half issued in mid'70s.

Still have mine 1965 issue. A newfie even offered me $55 Can for the top. As it was -20 at the time I thought it was not fair to take the $55 off him :}

Sloppy Link
28th Oct 2009, 19:20
Best, arctic socks, the white ones with the red loop at the top. Still have mine from a FI tour in '85.

Worst, DPM flying trousers. Never fit, have to completely undress to have a dump and have the water protective properties of blotting paper.

airborne_artist
28th Oct 2009, 19:41
Hexamine cooker

I won't hear a word against a hexi cooker. The smell of it is still in my nostrils. Many a warming brew has been made using hexi blocks.

Saintsman
28th Oct 2009, 19:52
The trousers that came with the wooly pullies, the ones that replaced the Hairy Mary's. The insides of my thighs were never so smooth!

+ the can opener.

BEagle
28th Oct 2009, 20:37
Having wrestled with trying to cook compo over the useless Primus stove in my CCF(Army) schooldays, I thought the Hexi was pretty space age. Unwrap, crack open, light the fuel and an instant fire. Epic!

Second best item after the comp can widger - the wonderful oatmeal block! Freezing cold and miserable, make some oaty block porridge over a Hexi and the world is suddenly a better place!

Third best item? The pale blue aircrew shirts we had before the olive shrinking green rollnecked abortion. Soft and warm - far better than that useless green thing.

barnstormer1968
28th Oct 2009, 20:43
I too like the GS rat pack tin opener, and in fact have several in the kitchen drawer (and use them).

A superb bit of kit was the 'dixie', a device for heating water in the field (I think it was a U.S. stock item).

But my favourite bit of issue kit was my personal SLR, serial number A51381.
It was older than me, had wooden furniture, and would only work on the higher gas settings:eek: but I loved it.

I had my feelings hurt, while sharing a meal with some German troops one night just outside of Busum, and they saw my weapon and asked if it was from the war!!!!:}

airborne_artist
28th Oct 2009, 21:03
BS - nothing wrong with an SLR/FN - very accurate, and with a bit of match stick placed correctly, two rounds despatched for one gentle movement of the trigger :ok:

Finnpog
28th Oct 2009, 21:06
I agree - the SLR was an excellent bang-stick.
Having seen a new HK 417 in the armoury last week - I have seen the future bastard child of the SLR and the M16...and it seems like a runner.

(They are arguing over this again over on Arrse)

Union Jack
28th Oct 2009, 21:07
Pusser's grip and pusser's dirk!:ok:

Jack

PS The compo can opener was in use by the Boy Scouts in the mid 1950s .....

mr fish
28th Oct 2009, 21:33
EUROGRAN drinking chocolate------and on a hot summer afternoon, lemon powder.

i may be alone on this one!!!

Dan Gerous
28th Oct 2009, 21:33
Best was the Long Johns I was issued with to go South in Dec 82. Still got them, and wore them out in the Cheviots at the weekend, warm as toast. The SLR, when I got my hands on one, always felt comfortable with it. The pair of work shorts I was issued with in Belize in 81. I think they were actually Royal Engineer issue, we all had them over at the Williamson site. 6 month tour, cut down, never washed, thick with diesel, petrol, grease and other assorted crud. Made a nice wee fire after my last day at work there.

stiknruda
28th Oct 2009, 21:53
The Tin-opener
The wire-saw
The reflector mirror with a sight
V-force bunny suit
Silk inner gloves

The Chinese copy of the AK47 with the folding stock - oops, not issued: bought in Africa for £12!

but la creme de la creme

aircrew socks - 20 odd years on, I still enjoy them.

I was given some Gucci Army boots a couple of years ago - they are now wearing in nicely and so much better than Boots DMS

STANDTO
28th Oct 2009, 22:26
Still got my boot socks after 21 years. Impossible to wear out

The Sanders offficers oxfords were brill

Officers brown gloves. Left my set in a car I sold. B*gger

not issue but my swiss army knife still going.

Biscuits. Brown

That Kendal Mint Cake that came with the Hexi stove never tasted good though

Herc-u-lease
28th Oct 2009, 23:14
i still love my chinese fighting suit. as a warm garment to wear in the field it was pretty average, but on the line and doing the gardening it rocks

GPMG
28th Oct 2009, 23:32
Arctic socks

Windproof smock

A Green lid

Ogre
29th Oct 2009, 02:19
Well I'd vote for Boots - High leg (gardening, bondu bashing, and all round outside mucky jobs) and the old blue denims. For some reason the green denims never felt the same!

Honourable mentions to the DPM jacket and trousers, and the knife/fork/spoon sets.

With regard to the PT undergarments for the WRAF, when I was on GST1 it was pointed out by one of the blokes on the course that these items were "B" stores, that is they had to be exchanged for a new pair rather than just discarded. The conversation then worked around the subject of disposal of the returned items, with the suggestion that there were boxes of used pairs probably in a hanger at Stafford awaiting someone to suggest what to do with them!

Dan Winterland
29th Oct 2009, 04:05
Oxford pattern shoes. Still going strong after 27 years.

diginagain
29th Oct 2009, 04:38
........... lemon powder.

aka 'Screech'

You're wierd.:\

Cots, camping. Fit nicely in the Lynx with room underneath for life's little essentials; gat, webbing, yellow handbags etc.

West Coast
29th Oct 2009, 05:34
For US kit it's got to be the poncho liner. For such a thin piece of material to keep one as warm as it does amazes me, very durable as well.

If the lowest bidder developed it, I'd like to see the upper end model at work.

Blacksheep
29th Oct 2009, 08:01
1. The best bit of kit ever issued was the No.4 Mk.1.
"The Lee Enfield Rifle is the reason we still speak English."

2. The next best bit of kit was Black Bodge Tape.

3. Third on the list is that Compo Can Opener widget and the Compo Sausages to which it gave you access.

I was rather fond of the previously owned "Trog Boots", Seaboot socks and ragged old "fishtail" Parka held together with black bodge tape I was given to wear out on the Line at Waddington. Nicely non-military, our kit made us look like a gang of Irish Navvies.

Cows getting bigger
29th Oct 2009, 08:13
Can't remember the name, but the gortex lined boots we used to be given for Arctic training. Great winter dog walking accoutrement.

814man
29th Oct 2009, 08:21
Boots also get my vote. Original pair of DMS issued in 1979, worn for most of 22 years service and now still going strong in garden.

Honourable mention to pair of green gloves with brown leather palms I got in Falklands in mid 90s which are also still seeing service when trimming hawthorn hedge and cutting back rose bushes.

Pontius Navigator
29th Oct 2009, 08:25
PT undergarments for the WRAF, . . .

had to be exchanged for a new pair rather than just discarded. The conversation then worked around the subject of disposal of the returned items, with the suggestion that there were boxes of used pairs probably in a hanger at Stafford awaiting someone to suggest what to do with them!

Actually not too far wrong.

Remember they were all put in large, clear, polybags? One of the local rag and bone junk shops in deepest Lincolnshire used to buy the bags and offer the garments for sale from the bags. Even used to have lots of firemen's blues surplus from when they went to green.

G*d it makes me itchy to imagine ........:\

fincastle84
29th Oct 2009, 08:54
:ok: Angie's issue stockings (with Angie wearing them!). 42 (TB) Sqn circa 1982.

CirrusF
29th Oct 2009, 10:17
I'll second SA-80 sling, and add the SUSAT. Also Arctic goretex mittens.
But my favourite bit of kit was an "exploding" briefcase for OTPs issued in Bosnia. I used to pray that some orrible scroat or serb would open it at checkpoints but despite my best efforts to make it temptingly visible none ever tried.

27mm
29th Oct 2009, 10:43
Electrically heated socks on the Canberra - brilliant when they worked and a nightmare when only one did (asymmetric socks)

parabellum
29th Oct 2009, 11:20
Agree the compo can opener, irreplaceable.

Blue cotton pyjamas issued when going to Aden - 1963.

Boots Cold Wet Weather, (Cobbly Wobblys) - issued as above, the soles and heels fitted by screws, when worn out just screw on a new set.

Woolly pulley with reinforced elbows.

Omega watch.

'H' series 8 man compo pack.

Best of all, my lovely Browning 9mm, constant companion for three years.

barnstormer1968
29th Oct 2009, 12:00
When you started your reply with BS, I thought you were disagreeing for a moment, but then it clicked that you had shortened my name (well I hope that's how it was:}).

I agree that the SLR was accurate to some extent (mine kept me constantly in the top three of the Sqn shooting team), but then it did have the problem of having to be broken to be cleaned. Also, as I was also a huge fan of the .303, then I guess I was also aware of another very accurate weapon.

That said, as stated above, I loved my SLR, and it never let me down (despite its antique age, and worn appearance).

Thinking back to the worst bit of kit I can recall, the '85 issue DPM uniform with the totally non showerproof material, and the stupid pockets spring to mind, along with the associated MK1 boots combat high (shin splitters), which had a long lasting, and damaging effect to my legs right up until this day:eek:.

anotherthing
29th Oct 2009, 12:07
Pussers 'harry' black maskers. Could fix any of the aforementioned items with it...

Also great for impeding the progress of a crocadilly-moose-pig (swamp-donkey), when you are trying to make a hasty escape the morning after several beers too many

effortless
29th Oct 2009, 12:40
Lumpies........................

Wader2
29th Oct 2009, 12:44
Aircrew boxer shorts in a blue shirt material and rubber buttons :}

Arclite01
29th Oct 2009, 13:47
Aircrew socks - mine still going strong from 1993 and the green liney gloves with brown leather palms still going strong. Much better than the black palmed DPM replacements.................:yuk:

Arc

Oh and I have a can-opener thingy too !!!!

Parson
29th Oct 2009, 14:04
High leg boots - easliy worn for 48 hrs+. Can't say that about my Scarpa Mantas.

Wader2
29th Oct 2009, 14:50
Best - Aircrew Crew Coach with its 10 seats arranged back to back and a driver.

Worst - the JU contraption, sliding door and self-drive.

Gainesy
29th Oct 2009, 15:36
With a so-called gear box that went screeeee, scrauggle kerlonk.

I reckon HM Forces must have bought all of 'em, can't imagine anyone with half a brain parting with coin for one.

Hmm, wasn't it a J2 rather than JU?

sisemen
29th Oct 2009, 16:10
For longevity it has to be the set of brushes (shoe, blanco, brass for the use of) that were issued in September 1963 and still in daily use.

My original holdall also now houses my bushfire kit.

And I have a compo can opener on my key ring.

Wouldn't mind a working Buccaneer though if anyone has a spare one they don't want. :}

biddedout
29th Oct 2009, 16:18
Speed tape.

Sonobuoy Tubes.

cornish-stormrider
29th Oct 2009, 16:29
Speed tape does not count. It was never issued - you had to steal it!

As a sooty I'd also say the liney gloves - nice when having to inspect cracks in a hot end.

Bob the Doc
29th Oct 2009, 16:43
Definitely second the aircrew socks and gloves. Of the 'newer' kit, the desert boots (Lowa/Meindl) are massively superior to their predecessors. The windproof desert DPM overtrousers were an absolute godsend on MERT over last Xmas and New Year.

Softie jacket and trs (no need for sleeping bag most of the time)

Extreme Cold Weather boots - Goretex lined and warm as toast. Much better than the standard combat high and not too warm even in summer

JTIDS
29th Oct 2009, 17:02
The new issue thermal mug. Brilliant bit of kit!

diginagain
29th Oct 2009, 17:19
G10 Thermos flask. Keeps hot stuff hot, and cold stuff cold.

But how does it know?

Dr Schlong
29th Oct 2009, 19:10
The newish black kit bag with 2 sets of handles that can be converted to a rucksack - loads of space and as tough as my mum's cooking! Mine's been all over the globe and still going strong.

Also second the softie jacket and trousers - excellent drinking gear for early/late o'clock in AKR in block 101!

Cornerstone958
29th Oct 2009, 19:52
Best my 1250
Worst handing it back in 27 years later
CS

Pontius Navigator
29th Oct 2009, 20:28
Sonobuoy Tubes.

Had a couple of buoy tube end caps ex-summer ball. Had 'em years, great as plant pot holders and also enjoyed by a robin that nested in one.

BEagle
29th Oct 2009, 20:48
Hmm, wasn't it a J2 rather than JU?

Whilst the JU was a pretty dreadful vehicle, the J2 was far worse!

Pontius Navigator
29th Oct 2009, 21:32
Whilst the JU was a pretty dreadful vehicle, the J2 was far worse!

Can't remember which was which but we had one in Akrotiri that was a real peach. We once set off for Epi but it couldn't hack the hill and simply stopped. The engine cut out and that was that.

When MT brought us more fuel they could only get 1/2 a gallon into the tank. Not because the tank was full but because it had imploded. We were the told off by MT for taking it off the unit - they had authorised the 658!

Later we noticed the brake hydraulic reservoir was empty, remember it was on the floor by the clutch pedal? MT said bring the vehicle back to MTSS. When we pointed out that it had no brake fluid they said "drive it slowly".

Not sure who or what was worse - MT or the MT :)

Also remember the MT Fleet in Malta? Command reserve vehicles with "Drive carefully the hydraulic fluid is contaminated".

seafuryfan
29th Oct 2009, 22:14
The old aircrew knife. Replaced with a J knife - useless for pulling up 'o' rings from the floor, breaking into cabs, bottle opener etc

Boozydragon
30th Oct 2009, 00:53
Best kit ever issued was the Fiat Punto hire car and Agip fuel chits issued at Gioa in 1996!. Second fastest production vehicle ever after the white van driven by the Plumber's apprentice!:cool:

Madbob
30th Oct 2009, 10:10
I remember the survival knife - called a "Wilky" knife? It was a cross between a machete and a Bowie knife and a pretty useful piece of kit.

Another good bit of kit - though not the lightest helmet available at the time - was the Mk3 helmet with double visors - it was an improvement over the Mk1A/Mk2A. Fortunately I never had to put its bird-strike resistance to the test, or worse, its ability to protect one's face/eyes from MDC "splatter" if forced to jump out.

The worst bit of kit just had to be Boots (DMS) times 2, for the use of....getting wet, getting blisters, getting Trench Foot - or all three!

MB

Gainesy
30th Oct 2009, 10:56
called a "Wilky" knife?

T'was its nickname as the manufacturor was Wilkinson, of sword and razor blade fame. Nasty cuts by careless users were known as "Wilky Bites".

Forgot to vote for Hexy cooker, sat in me 'ole somewhere just outside Skrydstrup, mug of hot choc/oatmeal porridgey stuff, watching the little blue flames of my Hexy telly.

Poxy Harriers.

orgASMic
30th Oct 2009, 11:55
I will see your compo tin opener and raise you the one out of the old aircrew survival ration with the spoon on the end.

Definitely with you on the SLR.

RAB down jacket proffed from TCW.

The LandRover Series III 90 from St Mawgan that we were sent for Ex SAIF SAREEA II - she had obviously never left the airfield in years and was squeaky and stiff as all hell. A couple of weeks of being thrown around the Omani desert and she was as good as new. Plenty of room in the back for the Maseerah beer run.

The Honda dirt bikes in TCW MT. Miles of smiles (and crashes).:E

bast0n
30th Oct 2009, 12:03
Mk 8 Thunderflash - Mk 83 smoke grenade - 4.5" shell case.

Mess dinners have never been such fun..................:ok:

airborne_artist
30th Oct 2009, 12:21
the one out of the old aircrew survival ration with the spoon on the end

I'd quite forgotten about that. Good call.

Rocket2
30th Oct 2009, 13:08
Without doubt it's my trusty Dzus key, given to me within a few minutes of getting on the IX Sqn tin triangle line at Waddo' & been in my pocket ever since. Have told my missus to make sure it's in my hand when they burn me just in case I'm still breathing when they light the fires - that bit of craftily shaped metal opens anything! Spare one sent to TVOC - hope its proving useful guys :ok:

Wasser
30th Oct 2009, 14:07
Well Said Rocky, I too had a faithfull Dzus key that was always by my side and had multiple uses. However, learn from my mistake and never give away its true purpose:

"Whats that?" I'm asked as I go through airport security.

"It's a dzus key"

"What's it for?"

"Opening aircraft panels" :eek:

They were quite good about it and I did eventually manage to make my flight, less dzus key natch. I still miss it and often wondered what became of it.

kilwhang
30th Oct 2009, 14:45
I'm surprised that no-one has suggested flying boots. I still have a pair and they are as soft as chamois.
Also, Canberra PR7 starter cartridge cases.......when suitably modified and cleaned up they made great beer mugs.

Rocket2
30th Oct 2009, 15:24
Good one Wasser - I've just spilt me tea laughing - suppose you had a set of contact files too? That was my second best bit of kit until Mrs. R2 knicked them for filing her nails - still uses them & they are still as good as new.

andyy
30th Oct 2009, 16:01
Dried Apple flakes from the rat packs. Was told to hide them by a Gurkha Training Cadre DS once, or he reckoned the troops would kill me for them - they still had the old rat packs with heavy tins in!

Lightning Mate
30th Oct 2009, 16:13
Worst:
The 1960s two piece grey immersion suit with the roll-up rubber joint.

Best:
Not "issued", but The Martin Baker seat. I know.....

MightyGem
30th Oct 2009, 16:24
"The compo tin widger"
KFS circa 1947, issued to me in 1972 and I still have them.
Flying socks, still in constant use since I left in '96
Tinned peaches in compo. After 2 weeks in the field...orgasmic!
Pro Boots

cornish-stormrider
30th Oct 2009, 16:26
In that context then I assume the best pice of kit you have ever received would be the MB tie, I think that if you are here to be handed some silk doodad from then their primary product has worked pretty damn well.

The worst would have to be - Boots, DMS,legs and feet, for the ruining of....

airborne_artist
30th Oct 2009, 16:37
I rather liked a pair of puttees. Kept the sh!te off the bottom of your trousers, and gave a bit of support to the ankle. Great when bashing the Brecons with a brick-loaded Bergen etc. Did get a bit soggy if you went too deep in the peat bog, though.

Mmmmnice
30th Oct 2009, 18:03
1. Green Headover - still works on the bike if I can't find newer 'technical fabric' alternative

2. New warm wx socks that look like they'd do OK in cold wx as well? (also used extensively on bike)

peterperfect
30th Oct 2009, 20:49
I'll raise you.... Bast0n's Mk 8 Thunderflash - Mk 83 smoke grenade - 4.5" shell case.... but with a pusser's feather pillow on the top lightly scored.....

henry crun
30th Oct 2009, 20:50
The only thing I still have is my aircrew whistle.

It was never used for its intended purpose but it has survived over 50 years of intermittent use by referees, calling the kids in when they were young, trying to teach the dog various commands, and calling for hush at noisy parties.

STANDTO
30th Oct 2009, 23:34
Anyone remember the 110 V8 Landrover. Green White top that was in the St Athan MT section around 88?

Power and the glory. Beat the Cavalier/Metro alternatives

bakseetblatherer
31st Oct 2009, 07:55
Finger torches rule...

....although night flying sucks!

cornish-stormrider
31st Oct 2009, 11:51
I see your 110 V8 and raise the 34 sqn rockape V8 - the one they called the interceptor.

Parts from LPO's with stuff like rimmer bros and RPI etc.

Scary quick - in a straight line and I had a 600 sports bike at the time and was not afraid to use it.

CirrusF
31st Oct 2009, 18:55
Surely the best, most valuable, and most useful bit of kit ever issued - if ever the QM would let you get away with "losing" one - was the get-out-of-jail gold sovereign. Morphine vials weren't bad either:8

Brewers Droop
31st Oct 2009, 20:41
Has to be the Arctic "Deputy Dog" hat. You looked silly but your old bonce was toasty. Have worn it (and looked silly in it) on many an exercise.

Pontius Navigator
31st Oct 2009, 21:01
and not the best, the black barrelled aircrew torch that ate batteries when it was OFF and cast a deep shadow when on. The next best thing to a cloak of invisibility.

barnstormer1968
31st Oct 2009, 22:13
I have just thought of another item (as I was holding it when reading this thread).
Not the best item of kit, but one of my very favourites, is the green plastic '58 mug (just like the black ones, but the green mug and water bottle are slightly smaller in size). I find it ideal for sipping a nice cool lemonade while reading these threads (ah nostalgia).

More thread drift alert:
I have just returned from the Bristol festival of remembrance night, and felt very at home, just like back in the day, while serving in the army. The band of the army air corps were very good, and the four Royal Marines present sat perfectly to attention throughout the entire night, without moving once:ok:

VinRouge
31st Oct 2009, 22:27
They are doing decent Miele boots for aircrew, which I believe are more comfortable than a 50 stone waaf.

klingonbc
1st Nov 2009, 01:06
My Crewman - essential. The guy in the LHS was optional and I'd rather have had the extra 200lbs of Avtur most of the time. At night with the window open on NVGs an Arctic Smock was a godsend - worn over the Cold Weather Jacket and under the LCJ and armour. Never formally cleared as flying kit but it was brilliant. Lastly that Hekler & Koch HK 53 strapped snugly by the left shoulder - just in case Slab Murphy and his cohorts got off a lucky shot ... and we ended up in the bogs making a run for it. Wessex Hc2 - 30+ years SHFNI - indestructable - fine girl y'are!

6Z3
1st Nov 2009, 08:19
The black pusser's biro available perhaps 20 yrs ago, before they changed the contract to bic.

minigundiplomat
1st Nov 2009, 10:40
The M134 grolly bar.

Has sharpened many a young pilots thought process over who was getting the kettle on when we landed.

lsh
1st Nov 2009, 10:45
"Norwegian" shirt.:ok:

Headover.

lsh

Gainesy
1st Nov 2009, 11:08
Strange isn't it that there is a whole medley of foreign kit that we want(ed) to get hold of, ie Noggie shirts, German boots and US camp beds. Anything we have that the foreigners want?

Remember US troops in GW1 would swop just about anything, including a couple of said camp cots, for the NI gloves "with the secret escape kit in the padded knuckles, honest buddy".:)

diginagain
1st Nov 2009, 11:59
Anything we have that the foreigners want?

The cousins will generally swap anything for compo. I got an Abrams for a 24-hour Menu B.

Well, 30mins worth.

Sloppy Link
1st Nov 2009, 12:17
Addition to my earlier, for simplicity and usefulness when teaching/instructing/discussing features on the ground (from the ground), the "Staff Pointer", designed at the turn of the last century and still a first class piece of kit. In short, two strips of metal with a blade and aperture linked by parallel bars. Whatever I aim at, the student/No2 on the gun etc looks through the parallel blade and aperture over my shoulder and is looking at the same object. Simples.

right chopper
1st Nov 2009, 12:44
Nomex Thermals...toastie

peterperfect
1st Nov 2009, 14:24
WRNS in black stockings. BT.

It's Not Working
1st Nov 2009, 14:41
Egg and Bacon Banjos, Laarbruch, Mid-70s

minigundiplomat
1st Nov 2009, 16:44
Food...ok then:

Bacon & Halloumi rolls - Lady L's, Akrotiri.

Frik, Frites and Mayo - Chicken Inn, Gutersloh.

Mally breakfast (with Telegraph and Coffee on Sun Morning) - Gutersloh.

Baconburger and beans - Compo.

Ulster Fry - Scratch & Sniff Aldergrove.

Mmmmmm

x213a
2nd Nov 2009, 02:42
The MOD1 padlock:ok:

alisoncc
2nd Nov 2009, 03:59
RAF issue ear plugs - ground crew for the use of. Acquired mine whilst on B Sqdn 230 OCU Finningley 1964, before ear defenders became the norm. Still in the original container. Very necessary with 4 Olympus donks giving it stick a few feet above your head on ORP. Still use them when neighbours having a party.

Biscuits - survival, airman for the use of. Green/khaki square tin with a round lid. Even after dunking them for five minutes in your tea, they would still break your teeth if not careful. All we had for a day whilst doing casevac with a couple of twin pins 100 k's south of Abu Dhabi in mid '60's.

Alison

Mech one
2nd Nov 2009, 04:35
The GS screwdriver for me...used to have competitions in the hangar throwing them to one another wearing thick leather/wooly gloves in case you caught one blade first. Still got mine issued in 1947.:ok:

ExBoyEntrant
2nd Nov 2009, 08:47
Well now, I think that the GS Screwdriver has failed so far to receive the accolades it richly deserves; any former engineer worth his salt could attest to that ! :D Had to chuckle (and certainly agree) at one listing for the worst "Issue KD" :ok:

goudie
2nd Nov 2009, 09:03
at one listing for the worst "Issue KD"

Add to that the groundsheet and I don't mean the female variety!

parabellum
2nd Nov 2009, 09:53
Biscuits - survival, airman for the use of. Green/khaki square tin with a round lid. Even after dunking them for five minutes in your tea, they would still break your teeth if not careful. All we had for a day whilst doing casevac with a couple of twin pins 100 k's south of Abu Dhabi in mid '60's.

When on exercise in Libya in 1965(ish)(Army), we used to trade these sealed biscuit tins with the nomads for eggs, never knew what they did with them but the eggs were OK, (not that injected filth), and wouldn't have lasted anywhere near so long in the desert.

Probably the most useless bit of kit I came across was the 'Champ' jeep type vehicle, great in theory but not so good in practice.

Have to agree about putees, good boots, well worn putees and leeches didn't stand a chance!

x213a
2nd Nov 2009, 12:49
Boxes of larium tablets that were thrown in the mess in Sierra Leone, anti-flash and pussers hand cream - all great currency for obtaining wooden carvings! Demonstrating the magical properties of an anti-flash glove with a cigarette lighter got me a 3 foot statue...which was sawdust by the time we returned to the UK!

ivor toolbox
2nd Nov 2009, 13:05
yes, I remember the 110 V8 Landy at St.Athan, and the look on the duty MT face when I commandeered it for gate guard duties after
the 2 others we had went u/s.....

best bits of kit...

compo tin opener
Hexi stove
and the long barrel (No 1 Mk III) Lee-Enfield, I used in shooting club!

ttfn

Capt Pit Bull
2nd Nov 2009, 13:48
I'm going to pitch in with the SLR fans. A proper rifle, none of your poxy 5.56mm rubbish.

But since food is also on the agenda, an honorable mention must go the apple flakes (as mentioned earlier in the thread).

However, at the risk of howls of derision, I was always partial to "Biscuits AB" (widely rumored to be constipative). However, coupled with the bacon grill (widely rumored to be laxitive) the combined effect seemed to allow the production of NATO standard jobbies on a schedule you could set your watch by.

Happy days.

pb

NutLoose
2nd Nov 2009, 18:38
As we are mentioning vehicles, the grey? London Taxi cab the RAF trialled at RAF Upavon, even though it had Royal Air Force down the sides on a bright yellow stripe and a driver wearing a uniform, you could be sure as hell that the minute it pulled up at the local railway station to collect someone, that some herbert would hop in the back and tell you to take him to so and so and then get shirty when told it's not a cab.

I often thought what a good vehicle it would have made if it had been taken on and adopted throughout the RAF, cheap to run, bulletproof (not literally) turned on a sixpence, roomy, comfortable and could be filled with all sorts of luggage or cargo etc and could carry 5 paxs easily............ far better than the standard crud we were getting from Vauxhall, and it would still be running today.

Long wheelbase Landrover, only reason it was 4 wheel drive is you needed to go offroad to do a 3 point turn in one......:p

Finnpog
2nd Nov 2009, 18:44
Another +1 for Biscuits AB:ok:

ShyTorque
2nd Nov 2009, 19:48
A certain little pilot officer ATC Aircrew liaison WRAF. She really knew how to liase.... on and off duty. :E

Where was I?.....I really meant the chinagraph propelling pencil. I was almost heartbroken when mine went missing, twelve years after leaving the mob, especially as I still have almost a whole box of brown refill "leads" (the only colour that doesn't disintegrate in the Belizean heat).

NRU74
2nd Nov 2009, 19:49
Not exactly 'kit'
....but what was the 'Jungle Juice' we had in Aden and the Middle East etc actually made from ?

fincastle84
3rd Nov 2009, 09:27
Don't know what jungle juice was made from but it was good for cleaning the loo!

Clockwork Mouse
3rd Nov 2009, 09:43
The thunderflash.
Floated down the sewer upstream of the toilet block in Ballykinlar (pre-1964) and watch the effect and the ensuing stampede.
Or fired from a 1" very pistol to give a spectacular airburst; timing was critical.
Magic days.

sunshiner
3rd Nov 2009, 15:59
Sadly the baby's head is alas no more in the compo issue - but some fine alternatives provided in the pouch are more than its match. Unfortunately the compo can opener is no more........

ian16th
3rd Nov 2009, 16:04
Was 'Jungle Juice' anything like 'Gan juice'?

This was reportedly a 'cordial' produced from the local, heavily chlorinated water supply.

The local water could only make the most obnoxious tea. :eek:

OKOC
4th Nov 2009, 14:50
ShyTorque-you have a PM

Wader2
4th Nov 2009, 15:21
Talk of jungle juice remins me of Freds. Why Freds? The instruction was to go the base hospital at Butterworth and ask for Fred. "Fred" would turn up, all 6ft 2 of her whereupon the luckless runner would have to ask for 'freds'. Fred would return and handover one of 2 gross of Freds :}

They were waterproof as well and useful to keep leeches out.

Mick Strigg
4th Nov 2009, 15:34
OKOC,

Does that make you the "certain little pilot officer ATC Aircrew liaison WRAF" that ShyTorque was talking about then?

OKOC
4th Nov 2009, 15:53
Mick Strigg--Quote "OKOC--Does that make you the "certain little pilot officer ATC Aircrew liaison WRAF that ShyTorque was talking about then?"

You have just given me THE best laugh I've had in years--no me old mucca--I wasn't THAT WRAF--wasn't you was it? I merely PM'd ShyTorque to offer him a spare chinagraph--f*ck that made me laugh so much--you've made my day Darlin'

cornish-stormrider
4th Nov 2009, 16:02
SAC (A/CPL) A***** H******* was the best issued Wraf, And Alas no I didn't but dreamt about her many a wait for the jets to return.

Does "Hawk of Cowley" count as issued. The fools lent it to mad Frank and we put a lot of miles/leagues/fathoms/chains on it in a week. Just a shame we had to give it back.

The cocktail of pills I was issued during Gas Turbs at Cossie was pretty nice, I have a six week hole in my mind and a 96% in the exam. The instructors are adamant (and amazed) that there was no cheating or manipulation of the exams either.

TBH - I could do with some now please, and also the flt lt doctor that fed them to me, ooh she could ********************** and ********************** but not ********************** and definately ************ with cream and ************ while *****************

(edited for public decency, and also to keep Beags BP in normal range :E)

Cows getting bigger
4th Nov 2009, 17:07
That wasn't the WRAF plt off otherwise known as Bob? If so.............

lsh
4th Nov 2009, 18:17
Certainly worth a trip across from Kleine-Brogel..........!!!!
lsh

airborne_artist
4th Nov 2009, 18:29
London Taxi cab the RAF trialled at RAF Upavon, even though it had Royal Air Force down the sides on a bright yellow stripe and a driver wearing a uniform, you could be sure as hell that the minute it pulled up at the local railway station to collect someone, that some herbert would hop in the back and tell you to take him to so and so and then get shirty when told it's not a cab.

So good that for some time the FI Governor was issued with one. It was the only vehicle that a) could handle the appalling roads in the FI and b) the Gov could wear his fancy headgear in.

Geehovah
4th Nov 2009, 19:26
It has to be Flying Gloves

Dengue_Dude
4th Nov 2009, 19:29
Wilkinson knife - still got one in my shed.

GS screwdriver and 6" adjustable spanner - tools for the discerning tradesman.

Compo can-opener/spoon (in kitchen drawer)

Flying gloves - down to last two pairs (9 years after last Aux AF flight)

Brushes - yep (button stick still in shed too)

Buccaneer protractor for straight lines.

Cool aircrew sunglasses - long before we'd heard of Ray Bans.

RAF logbooks - gave up flying before I filled my last one

Tool boxes (containers for Smoke Floats used in Lord Trophy SAR competition) and 9 mm ammunition box.

Not an exhaustive list but a nostalgic one :)

Forgot yellow bombers, not had one of those for years

lsh
4th Nov 2009, 20:25
Please watch out for the aircrew sunglasses:
It was explained to me that there is no UV protection whatsoever!
The dark tint is nice, but your eye opens up, and gets yet more damaging rays!
Never worn them since.
Perhaps someone else will verify?
(Are they glass? Eye hazard if broken?)

Anyway, please be careful with them.
lsh

Rocket2
5th Nov 2009, 17:02
"That wasn't the WRAF plt off otherwise known as Bob?"
Then at the secret Wiltshire airbase in the late 80's on A line there was 10BA (the smallest screw in the Air Force)! :eek: