PDA

View Full Version : What's good about the RAF at the moment?

Winco
28th Oct 2009, 14:44
At a time when the service is taking a bashing for all sorts of things and from all directions, could I ask those that are left in, 'What's good aboutr the RAF at the moment?' - assuming of course that there MUST be something good...surely?

Winco

Wrathmonk
28th Oct 2009, 15:03
Flying. Without a doubt. Couldn't do something with as much fun, and be paid for it, elsewhere.

The people. Read post 2 on the Remembrance Day 2009 thread. It may say soldier but it could equally be airman. You do not, and can not, get such unswerving loyalty anywhere in 'the outside world'. It may not seem it at times but the enemy are not the staff officers at High Wycombe / Main Building etc.

The fact that, finally, many of our leaders (even at 2*/3*) are experienced in the modern way of conducting warfare. Sure we might still be a bit top heavy (and the new CAS has less (proper) medals than most junior airmen) but we have people in place who are still in touch with the front line and are not cold war warriors stuck in the past. More importantly, the good guys seem to be getting put into places of influence.

Yes, there are things that are bad, frustrating and can get on your t1ts. But if it was that bad why hasn't every one walked with their feet and why is recruiting so buoyant (well, up until it was stopped that is;)). And its not because of the economy - the jobs are there if you look hard enough.

What would make it even better - more money for where its needed (rather than robbed from Peter to pay Paul) and less in-Service and inter-Service fighting (from which only the government can gain from). And less armchair Air-Marshals!:E

PS - don't tar the whole Service because of the behaviour of, at most, half a dozen individuals. The H-C report has clearly stated where the 'buck' stopped. The Catterick crash inquest has also made it quite clear, albeit without saying so in so many words, where the finger of blame should be pointed.

Shack37
28th Oct 2009, 15:53
Wrathmonk

The people. Read post 2 on the Remembrance Day 2009 thread. It may say soldier but it could equally be airman. You do not, and can not, get such unswerving loyalty anywhere in 'the outside world'.

I've read the post you refer to and it's good to have it confirmed by you that this has not changed. You're own post is also a boost having read so much doom and gloom elsewhere:D

The Old Fat One
28th Oct 2009, 16:09
What's good about the RAF...

Being in it for a start.

Plenty of poo on the outside, especially if you are a pilot looking for a job.

TheWizard
28th Oct 2009, 16:26
The opportunity to see the world from a completely different perspective.

Working with people who are prepared to dig in to the reserves and go that bit further when the chips are down and the conditions are pretty grim.

The top level banter.

minigundiplomat
28th Oct 2009, 16:32
The top level banter.

Recce's improving then Wizard? ;)

Strictly Jungly
28th Oct 2009, 16:33
:ok:

Don't forget the great uniform too!!!!

VfrpilotPB/2
28th Oct 2009, 16:42
Well,

All my family have been in it,.... one died whilst fighting in it,
they have some deeds behind them that many mere mortals will never, ever again be able to emulate.... They saved Gt Britain when the rest had given us up,... they frightened the crap out of many bad guys, .. and are admired all over the World for many reasons.

If thats not enough, then we should all be better leaving our Jobs when Comrade Brown and co leave theirs next May or June!!

Chest out, Shoulders back, face up to change ............or walk!!

Peter R-B

bannednew
28th Oct 2009, 19:15
Too true. Leave the place to the REMFs and stay behinds. They are welcome.

mr fish
28th Oct 2009, 21:15
dare i say "typhoon";)

bakseetblatherer
28th Oct 2009, 23:10
Don't forget the great uniform too!!!!
Mmm you gotta love belly button fluff blue

occhips
28th Oct 2009, 23:36
There is no where better in the world for banter - ! it just does not get any better! Never did figure out why aircrew wear blue jumpers with wings when its 85 degrees outside....?

L J R
29th Oct 2009, 01:59
....because we can....!!!

Jumping_Jack
29th Oct 2009, 18:04
Same reason the 'bomb Gods' do too!! :}

Grabbers
29th Oct 2009, 18:07
Me. Edited to add over 8 more letters.

Whenurhappy
29th Oct 2009, 18:37
The Pay....it is scary how really hard you have to work for the same package outside and how little security you have and really, really crap TACOS

R SCANDAL
29th Oct 2009, 19:06
I agree, the Mexican food outside is rubbish.

SPIT
29th Oct 2009, 23:09
All the replys seem to be from Aircrew or ex Aircrew,??
What about the poor sods who keep a few flying ???? :ok::ok::ok:

Boozydragon
29th Oct 2009, 23:28
There will always be those of us who say that things have changed and that it's not as good now as it was in the good old days. The fact is that Her Majesty's Royal Air Force is still be best in the world and has given us all the best years of our lives. At least we had the chance to do the things we did and have that to look back on. I can't see you getting all emotional about Per Ardua ad Tesco.:ok:

Cubanate
30th Oct 2009, 08:07
There are many more good things about the RAF than you realise when you're serving. It's only when you leave and work in civvy street that you fully understand what these are:{:ugh:

Pontius Navigator
30th Oct 2009, 08:13
All the replys seem to be from Aircrew or ex Aircrew,??
What about the poor sods who keep a few flying ???? :ok::ok::ok:

Well?

I presume you mean the SNCOs and lineys. You can't beat the capabilities of the modern SNCO for getting the job done. You do find them outside and often you find they are ex-SNCOs anyway :)

dmussen
1st Nov 2009, 02:22
I had the honour of serving in the 70's. I loved the fact that one could jump in the jet on winter mornings and be in 8/8ths blue while the rest of the population were going to work in slush and snow. The fact that we were paid money by Queen EliZabeth II to do so was an absolute bargain.
The trust, friendship,professionalism, banter and the sheer joy of flying sums it up I feel.

GasFitter
1st Nov 2009, 19:30
1. It's not the Army. :D
2. It's not the Navy. :D

:ok:

minigundiplomat
1st Nov 2009, 22:26
I think the best thing the RAF has going for it at the moment is the recession.

Other than that - I think the only good thing is the people you work with.

Beyond that, Im struggling which is why I'm leaving. There is enough bitter people about. I'd rather leave with some good memories.

navibrator
2nd Nov 2009, 03:48
I left and I am glad I did. There is life beyond the RAF. Banter exists beyond the Services. What I don't miss is the inter-service bashing and watching so called mates climb all over you to get promoted.

TonkaEngO
2nd Nov 2009, 09:14
Wow - 26 positive replies before the whingers got in......Must be a record for here

Roger the cabin boy
2nd Nov 2009, 10:41
I doubt many will have a similar opinion, but going away on Det! Great fun! Having been in for over 20 years, and spent many, many months away in all sorts of unpleasant locations the SH force has found itself, Afghanistan is awesome. Yes, there are not enough RW platforms (of the right types) and the tasking and command process can be painful, but there is nothing to beat the sheer joy and excitement of dangerous (ie enemy threat) flying and getting "stuff" and people to isolated locations, under contact.

Plus, you are away from the triv, are mission-focussed and work with top people - and actually, the kit and support facilities are mostly good too. Take away the politics and personal opinion about what we are doing, I'd happily spend 3 months a year there (which is lucky!).

Cows getting bigger
2nd Nov 2009, 10:50
20+ years of fun, camaraderie and now a very nice pension.

fincastle84
2nd Nov 2009, 13:54
On the 15th of every month I am reminded of how much I enjoyed my wonderful 27 years on Shacks & Nimrods & how well prepared I was for my afterlife in civvy street. I wouldn't have missed a single minute & I guess that is exactly the same for the blokes today. Just ignore the grown ups & enjoy the flying.:ok:

dogstar2
2nd Nov 2009, 14:20
Still in after 20 years - loving it. Done my share of desert time on ops, travelled the world, like to work hard and play hard and have a great bunch of mates with real values. If my kids decide to join I will back them all the way.

Would I have preferred to be a trader in London......No way!! Got mates who have done that for 20 years, yes they are paid loads but they spend all their cash anyway and have a more expenses to cover......and they have never pulled g, dropped weapons, travelled with mates like I have.

Give me another 20 years......if I survive that long.

minigundiplomat
2nd Nov 2009, 16:43
Wow - 26 positive replies before the whingers got in......Must be a record for here

If everyone is expected to give the same answer, don't pose a question!

I imagine you love giving your SENGO exactly the answer he wants, regardless of the reality.

I have plenty of good memories of my time in the RAF, and wouldn't of swapped it for anything. But, the current problems stem from an abundance of bloody 'yes' men, to which you seem to have provided an excellent case in point.

Dengue_Dude
2nd Nov 2009, 18:27
I not only like your login . . . I must agree with what you said. I must admit to alluding to similar on the Airworthiness thread.

Difficult to have faith that it's going to get any better.

Geehovah
2nd Nov 2009, 19:52
Its like being back in the Boy Scouts

Lets build an aeroplane from three pieces of string and a woggle

We need cash to run an Air Force

sunshiner
3rd Nov 2009, 16:08
Remember when you joined up and you were told that there were opportunities to see the world if you joined the RAF. Whilst this is the case, unfortunately, I don't think many of us anticipated spending so much time in middle east *^%! holes............. Get a posting to Cyprus before it goes fully contractorised.

AdanaKebab
3rd Nov 2009, 17:09
Sunshiner, I couldn't agree more. Especially now all the NATO mediterranean jobs are finishing. With the exception of some JFC Naples positions .. but who the hell wants to go there?!!:cool:

The Real Slim Shady
3rd Nov 2009, 17:20
Can't comment on what it is like now, but I left because of resolute incompetence.

How could a Service allow familiies to live in AMQs with metal window frames and single glazing ( shows how ong I've been out) but waste over a Billion pounds on a Nimrod AEW?

It goes on.....major building / renovation at stations about to be closed.

Idiots promoted, because the idiot above them wouldn't promote the guy who bucked the system and stood up to stupidity.

TonkaEngO
3rd Nov 2009, 17:28
minigunwhatever

Dont judge everyone by your dubious standards.
You are making presumptions wrt rank/position.

Count em up - more folk are happy than are not.