PDA

View Full Version : Wainfleet to close 2nd Dec

typerated
28th Oct 2009, 09:24
raf wainfleet range provides bombing and strafing targets - all you need to know about RAF Wainfleet (http://www.phantomii.plus.com/rafwainfleet/wainnews.html)

Wainfleet's website reports ...

Commander Defence Training Estates has taken the decision to close RAF Wainfleet Air Weapons Range from 3 Dec 09 to meet savings targets imposed by the MOD. The last flying day at RAF Wainfleet will be 2 Dec 09. This brings to a close 71 years of operations as an RAF Air Weapons Range.

The programme for November will see Wainfleet going out with a bang not
a whimper, provided of course that squadrons honour their bookings.
Bookings promise one of the fullest programmes for many months with F15
from both the 492nd and 494th, GR4 Tornados from Marham, Harriers from
1,4 and 20 Sqns and the Naval Strike Wing, and of course the Fast-Jet
Trials Sqn. We also expect cabin gun-firing on 10 days.

There will be a Tornado Bombing Competition on 12 Nov between IX Sqn
and 617 Sqn and we expect a large number of visitors from former members
of the Squadrons including a number of ex-wartime aircrew.

forget
28th Oct 2009, 09:58
Bombing Competition on 12 Nov between IX Sqn and 617 Sqn.

Will this include a mock-up of the Tirpitz?

ZH875
28th Oct 2009, 10:04
Thankfully, there aren't too many more RAF Stations left to close.:(

Perhaps it could be kept open if all the MP's pay back their (allegedly) fiddled expenses.

Wensleydale
28th Oct 2009, 11:16
Would it save as much money if the range was just moved from Wainfleet to Westminster?

Jackonicko
28th Oct 2009, 12:11
Permanently closed, or on C&M pending better times?

How much money will this latest piece of pottiness save?

philrigger
28th Oct 2009, 12:37
;)

Where is the next closest range to the east of england air forces? How much extra fuel and flying hours will be required to get to them?

green granite
28th Oct 2009, 12:52
Will this include a mock-up of the Tirpitz?

No point, The Tonka can't carry a Grand Slam. :E:E

27mm
28th Oct 2009, 12:55
Donna and Holbeach are still operational, so we've still got 2 ranges for the "East of England Air Forces" as you rightly put it. Now, if we could only secede from Scotland and Wales.....

bowly
28th Oct 2009, 12:58
Where is the next closest range to the east of england air forces?

Holbeach.

How much extra fuel and flying hours will be required to get to them?

Cock all!

BEagle
28th Oct 2009, 13:06
Has Cowden also gone?

Which of Pembrey, Pendine, Castlemartin and Manorbier are still open?

But I guess there's less need for range work, given the vastly superior simulators and smart weapons now available and with 'dumb bombs' becoming relics of the past.

A sad day to see Wainfleet close after more than 100 years as a military weapons range though.

Wearing a GA pilot hat, given that the RN has so few boa...ships these days, why do they still need most of the English Channel for the odd bit of firing?

Presumably the Pongos are still hosting those jolly spiffing 'fah-parr' demonstrations at Lulworth Cove?

Sloppy Link
28th Oct 2009, 13:31
If you mean the Land Command Power Demonstration, this is now on Salisbury Plain. Lulworth still operates for the Royal Armoured Corps. Castlemartin is also RAC and Manorbier is GBAD, now owned by the Royal Artillery since the RAF Regiment relinquished control. Pendine is DSTL/QinetiQ and Pembry is still the Crabs (:) You started it).

Roadster280
28th Oct 2009, 14:24
The firepower demo was on SPTA when I saw it in 1987. So long ago in fact that the Harrier was a GR3. Still, a very impressive demo, particularly the claymores taking out a platoon of NBC suits on scarecrows. Bits of simulated body all over the shop.

philrigger
28th Oct 2009, 15:26
;)

27mm and bowley. Thank you very much.

VP8
28th Oct 2009, 16:12
BEagle Has Cowden also gone?

I think it fell into the sea:uhoh:

It was getting close to the edge when I was there in the late 80's

VEEPS

Jackonicko
28th Oct 2009, 17:07
To save money, eh?

How long will the clean up take, and how much will it cost?

How much will the tiny portion of the range actually owned by MoD rather than leased realise?

What will be the saving in rent?

What will be the saving in staff costs - presumably a grizzled corporal, a grizzled RO, two flight lieutenants and a dozen local civilians?

Can any other UK range safely accomodate Typhoon strafe?

Will this save money, or cost money?

Is it yet another short-sighted piece of utter f*ckwittery from the clowns in charge?

Thought so.

PS: Though Cowden closed ages ago, the clean-up continues. No money saved from that one yet.

WeekendFlyer
28th Oct 2009, 18:00
Have to agree with Jacko - a ridiculous decision that will save a tiny amount of money in contrast to the benefits of keeping it open.

Wainfleet has a good variety of target attack profiles and weapons clearances that will not all be available at the remaining ranges. Yet again the MOD sacrifices a useful capability in order to save a fairly trivial amount of money in the grand scheme of things.

And compared to the truly frightening £16BN PER MONTH overspend that our useless government is currently incurring on our behalf, the saving from closing Wainfleet will be a drop in the ocean....

GRRR :mad: :ugh:

typerated
28th Oct 2009, 19:26
Which of the ranges will close next? I'd guess the easy money is on Donna but Pembury loses a lot of hours to weather and is also pretty quiet these days. With such a large staff maybe even Spade will be a tempting target for the chop?

5 Forward 6 Back
28th Oct 2009, 19:45
Pembrey's next, surely? The Hawk T2 doesn't carry any live weapons, so all academic weaponry's going to be simulated, much as it is at NFTC.

I bet while the T2's slipped to the right a bit, Pembrey'll close on schedule, leaving us with nowhere to bomb from Valley...

High_Expect
29th Oct 2009, 15:35
Holyhead?!?!

Tangoman01
10th Nov 2009, 20:54
The actual Blue Suiters (RAF) at Wainfleet is 1xFS + 1xSgt Range Safety Officers. The OC is a retired Sqn Ldr.
The biggest losers are the Serco emplyees who now find themselves redundant, with little employment opportunities in the local area.

soddim
10th Nov 2009, 23:04
We at Seacroft Golf Club will miss you Wainfleet. The noise of the cannon shells making their supersonic way towards the strafe targets and the occasional thump of heavier ordinance accompanied by the sound of freedom as the delivering aircraft pull off target is so reassuring to us retired folk on the golf course.

I cannot recall the number of times I have enjoyed the thought that I can now enjoy my golf happy in the knowledge that someone else is now up there doing the buisness.

Why don't you all retire and play golf - looks like our PM does not want to fund you.

Gainesy
11th Nov 2009, 11:21
Even mudmoving has got to be better than whackf**k.

Kolibear
11th Nov 2009, 11:34
Just move the range a few miles up the coast and obliterate Skegness, no one will notice.