PDA

View Full Version : Aussie pubs with Airstrips

Phot
28th Oct 2009, 00:44
Hi All,

I want to clock up a bit of time over summer and I thought what better way than get a few mates together and head off to the outback in search of a pub crawl (so to speak.... no drinking for the pilot, well not if there is no more flying to be done that day).

Does anybody know any good pubs that have an airstrip next door, I.E. Birdsville or William Creek?

Thanks

Phot

Disco Stu
28th Oct 2009, 00:54
Milparinka and Oxley, both in NSW.:D

morno
28th Oct 2009, 01:01
Noccundra in Western QLD

Barkly Wayside Inn in the NT (has a pub attached to the roadhouse)

Goat Whisperer
28th Oct 2009, 01:07
Tilpa, NSW is a short walk from the strip to the pub, buzz the pub and someone will come out and get you.

Milparinka wins, when you can taxi to the pub carpark; Toyota, Toyota, Cessna, Toyota...

40Deg STH
28th Oct 2009, 01:44
Its so many years since I did any aeroplane pub crawl. What a great way to spend those holidays.
Shame there is no annual event where a group head off on tour for a few days! It would be good with groups meeting up from various parts of Aus in the centre.
Maybe warn the pubs to stock up on beer first:ok:

Mr. Hat
28th Oct 2009, 01:47
Barkly Roadhouse. Barkly Homestead Roadhouse NT @ ExplorOz (http://www.exploroz.com/Places/27287/NT/Barkly_Homestead_Roadhouse.aspx)

Melbourne Cup night is rea-asonably rowdy. Make sure you are wearing the right atire!

Howard Hughes
28th Oct 2009, 02:09
Mt Dare Station. (http://www.mtdare.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=12):ok:

Pedota
28th Oct 2009, 02:18
Caiguna WA - you taxi up to the back of the road house for fuel. Very long gravel strip that was in very good condition last time I was there. It is only a short dash inland if you are flying the scenic coastal route. It has great meals and accommodation.

Caiguna Roadhouse is one of three Nullarbor Roadhouses that provide a 24 hour seven days a week service - Norseman and Border Village are the other 2. Staff at Caiguna Roadhouse are helpful, friendly and can provide travellers with a range of takeaway foods and snacks. EFTPOS, Public Telephone and pay shower facilities are also available. If you are heading to the west Caiguna might well be a good rest and refuelling stop - especially given that the next Roadhouse is 182 kilometres away at Balladonia. Travelers should note that Caiguna sells LPG Gas for cars and Premium petrol. Super Grades of petrol are not sold but fuel additives can be bought. For those of you with an aircraft, a landing strip can also be found along side the Roadhouse!

Adjacent to Caiguna's Roadhouse is the John Eyre Motel which has 10 self contained Motel Units and a caravan park with camping facilities. Nullarbor Net suggests that it might well pay travellers to make advance bookings given the number of rooms available. This advice particularly applies during peak travel periods when many Motels on the Nullarbor can be booked out. For further information and bookings please telephone (08) 9039 3459.

tinpis
28th Oct 2009, 02:42
Why would you want to fly somewhere to get on the piss?
Its bad enough having a couple of sherbets and driving home :uhoh:

Phot
28th Oct 2009, 03:15
Cos you have to do something when you get there... I'm not talking about getting trashed just having a few drinks with the locals then next morning on to the next place.

Phot

bentleg
28th Oct 2009, 03:15
Tilpa NSW good (as already mentioned).

Others I have done - Wanaaring NSW, White Cliffs NSW, Hungerford Q, Burketown Q. None of these have the airstrip adjacent to the pub, but the publican will happily pick you up.

Goat Whisperer
28th Oct 2009, 03:24
So too Tibooburra.

and Cameron's Corner.

(spelling)

40Deg STH
28th Oct 2009, 03:35
Hey Tinpis, because its a good time to relax away from work!!!:ugh:
And if you drive or fly after alcohol, well you deserve what you get. The term "responsible" comes to mind. I remember 30 years ago was my last trip and was very enjoyable to get out and enjoy time with friends, doing what we love (flying).
Some of the best learning for new pilots has always been done around a bar. My generation was like that, And I'm sure more recent generations too.:ok:

maybe someone should put together a list!:ok:

Towering Q
28th Oct 2009, 03:47
Kookynie in WA's Goldfields.

There's a decent strip about 100m from the Grand Hotel.:ok:

Fred Gassit
28th Oct 2009, 03:52
I get homesick thinking about some places, Kookynie isn't one of em.
Caiguna has never had a liquor license, maybe they do now but I doubt it.
All the other Nullarbor roadhouses do, but no fuel....

Towering Q
28th Oct 2009, 04:08
Caiguna went through an expansion phase a few years back and now has a licensed bar.

It was a good place to hide whilst doing the RFDS clinics.

I prefer Border Village, better facilities, avgas and a pool.:ok:

ZEEBEE
28th Oct 2009, 04:21
And who could forget William Creek ?

topdrop
28th Oct 2009, 05:44
Haven't been there for a while - but Innamincka was alright.

frigatebird
28th Oct 2009, 05:52
Innaminka
Friendly pub people, pick you up from the strip if you ring ahead - dear fuel at $580 for a 200 litre drum of avgas, the cost of freight into the Outback.

Wanderin_dave
28th Oct 2009, 05:52
One for the Beechcraft set more than the Cessna/Piper set :ok: Brown Brother's Winery have a strip on site.

185skywagon
28th Oct 2009, 06:19
Eulo, west of YCMU. just a short walk to the pub up the main street.
Cadney Park.

sru
28th Oct 2009, 08:22
Noccundra in Western QLD, as has been mentioned by morno

Can taxi to the front door from the strip :ok: (or used to be able a couple of years ago)

Have done it in a B200 :}. Great publican and a great old pub with a bit of history :)

CaptainInsaneO
28th Oct 2009, 09:29
Code: YBKW
Strip condition: Long, large and smooth (just like something else I have :p)

Probably best to call the owner first before you rock up there, but as he has recently purchased an aircraft, it shouldn't be a problem.

I've landed there twice in the past couple o' months.

yowieII
28th Oct 2009, 10:28
The Pink roadhouse at Oodnadatta, they would come and pick you up no-probs,cant remember about gettin a beer thou or accom, William Creek was great fun:ok:

Pedota
28th Oct 2009, 11:28
If we talking about getting the pub to pick you up from the nearby strip - try the Maree Hotel. It is just one of the most wonderful spots with a long history.

That said, the lovely people in Ceduna, Coober Pedy, Esperance, King Island, Kangaroo Island and many others have done just that for me and my fellow travellers - and I thank them all for it. It is one of the real pleasures of arriving by aircraft . . . and many of these places promote their phone number (or frequency) in the various pubications.

But Daly Waters is another strip alongside the pub that is worth considering . . . it is only a short stroll from/to the aircraft. I'll never forget when I landed there I pulled out my mobile to cancel 'SARTIME' and a local pilot said you might as well send them a smoke signal from here . . . so I used the payphone/phonecard instead.

Cheers

Pedota

longrass
28th Oct 2009, 12:01
Ey tinny,

Reckon I could get a 150 into humpty doo tav?

What's the go with landing on sealed roads such as the Arnhem highway anyway?

Phot
29th Oct 2009, 01:43
Thanks guys they all sound great. I'll have to start working out a plan to get as many in as the budget allows.

Phot

Stikybeke
29th Oct 2009, 04:30
As mentioned Noccundra's good but watch out for the ditch on the left near the shearing shed if you'r going to taxi down from the airstrip to the pub (best off just parking off the strip)...and there's no fuel there either...

Tibooburra's the spot....publican from the Tall pub runs the strip, will come and get you, is a top bloke to boot, has fuel (not much A1 though...), accommodation costs $50/ night and is just a good spot to go. A bonus is there's no dust there atm....it all blew east a while back....

Enjoy
:ok:

Peter Fanelli
29th Oct 2009, 11:14
One for the Beechcraft set more than the Cessna/Piper set

You're not suggesting that owners of Musketeers are more likely to visit a winery than the owners of a 210 or Malibu are you?

aileron_69
29th Oct 2009, 13:18
I cant believe noone has recommended Halls Creek yet!!!! Great big sealed runway with the pub right over the road. What more could you want!!! It even has razor wire fences around it to keep the unsavoury types out :ok:
Accomodation is good if a little expensive....mind you so is the beer!!

Racetrack
3rd Nov 2009, 10:08
Boulia - out the airport gate and walk down the main street to the pub
Hells Gate - park pretty much right out front

compressor stall
3rd Nov 2009, 10:48
Cape Crawford - about 30nm inland from Borroloola - on the intersection of two highways. Strip's over the road from the pub.

Bloody great nights have been had there. A mate and I drank the bar dry of Crownies once...:}

Is the strip at Vic River Xing still there? An incredibly spectacular location with escarpments all around. Pub can be a bit quiet at times....

And Gregory Downs? YGDY in the logbook anyway. I seem to remember a short walk to the pub.

Hasselhof
3rd Nov 2009, 11:56
Borroloola itself for that matter. The pub still hasn't got a real licence though they can sell grog along with a substantial meal. Its lost a lot of its charm from the old days though (and most of the violence). The Guest House is a better bet though and you have to walk past it to get to the pub. They serve much better food and have MUCH better accommodation. Both across the street from the airstrip (has Avgas & JetA1). :ok:

Rojer Wilco
3rd Nov 2009, 22:31
Border village airport (YBOV) on the WA/SA border near Eucla. Reasonably priced motel and pub at the end of the airstrip.

Runways a bit dodgy, but I got a chieftain in and out okay. Windsocks completely gone, but there's a couple of directional windmills over the highway from the strip that are good indicators.

Fly low and coastal to Adaleaide from there - the coastline is absolutely spectacular.

Stationair8
4th Nov 2009, 06:34
Cooinda in Kakadu.

igniterlighter
4th Nov 2009, 07:48
King Ash Bay

NZScion
4th Nov 2009, 10:05
Hasselhof, I'm told by a reliable source that Trish now has beer at the Borroloola Guest House, and half the time the guy behind the bar is a local 210 driver :E

YMEN
10th Nov 2009, 15:10
Borrolooser... you serious. Nah its probably a good place to visit.:ugh:

Try Echuca, Broken Hill, White Cliffs, Tibooburra, Innimincka, Birdsville, Kings Creek Station, Coober Peady, William Creek, Rawnsley Park station, All International Airports (If you dont mind the Landing Fee)