PDA

View Full Version : DAEDALUS by Mc Dermott Brilliant music

david parry
27th Oct 2009, 09:40
All news : RN Live : News and Events : Royal Navy (http://admin.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-events/rn-live/all-news/mountbatten-festival-of-music-fly-navy)

Coffin Dodger
27th Oct 2009, 10:19
That's pretty excellent. Thanks for the link. :ok:

Pheasant
28th Oct 2009, 10:02
Fantastic....send a copy to CDS, Gordon, Dave C, CAS, Jackonicko etc!

Is there a DVD?

Fly Navy!

Jackonicko
28th Oct 2009, 12:55
A bit early for 'Fly Navy 100'.

Celebrating the decision to procure an airship (which never flew and never entered service) is a bit of a cheek, really.

It was not until 6 December 1910 that the Admiralty promulgated a scheme to train four of its officers as pilots (with a civilian aero club). The four started training in March 1911. Lieutenant M. Longmore and Lieutenant C.R. Samson become the Royal Navy's first qualified pilots on 24 April 1911.

The first RN aviation unit (A Naval flying school) was established at Eastchurch in Kent in December 1911.

By the time the RFC formed on 13 April 1912, it was supposed to include Naval and Military Wings. The Army's Air Battalion formed one, but the other had only a "nascent naval air detachment". This is hardly surprising, when none of its pilots had more than one year's experience!

Naval Aviation (separate from the War Office's RFC) began on 1 July 1914, when the Admiralty formed the Royal Naval Air Service.

By contrast....

The Army's School of Ballooning was formed in 1888.

British Army Aeroplane No.1 flew on 16 October 1908.

On 24 September 1910, the British Army made the first UK reconnaissance mission during the Army's autumn manoeuvres.

By April 1911, the Balloon Section of the Royal Engineers owned five aircraft - an FE and four Bristol Boxkites.

The Air Battalion of the Royal Engineers was authorised on 28 February 1911 and formed on 1 April. It was established with two companies: No.1 (Airship) Company at South Farnborough and No.2 (Aeroplane) Company at Larkhill, the latter soon forming two full squadrons.

I look forward to congratulating all Naval Aviators on their centenary, when it comes on 1 July 2014. This 'Fly Navy 100' Malarkey came five years too early. Nice try, excellent point-scoring opportunity seized, and good demonstration of New Labour-type spin, but no cigar.

vecvechookattack
28th Oct 2009, 17:19
Oh dear.... Why did we celebrate Fly Navy 100 ? What did we get out of it?

We had a mess dinner at the Royal Naval College Greenwich

We had a party at Buckingham Palace.... Free beer ( Thanks Madge)

We had a fantastic pi$$ up in Liverpool

We had a superb party at Yeovilton's Air Day....

There is a theme to this isn't there....?

david parry
28th Oct 2009, 17:28
QUOTE above Oh dear.... Why did we celebrate Fly Navy 100 ? What did we get out of it?

We had a mess dinner at the Royal Naval College Greenwich

We had a party at Buckingham Palace.... Free beer ( Thanks Madge)

We had a fantastic pi$$ up in Liverpool

We had a superb party at Yeovilton's Air Day....

There is a theme to this isn't there....?:rolleyes: Yes probably that the grubbers greenies pinkies bombheads and handlers, that put them in the air never had an invite:hmm:

miniwafu
28th Oct 2009, 19:26
and lets not forget reminding the crabs of their youth and inadequacies.

"There is a theme to this isn't there....?:rolleyes: Yes probably that the grubbers greenies pinkies bombheads and handlers, that put them in the air never had an invitehttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/yeees.gif "

And, david, lets not jump to conclusions. We have been well done by at all of the listed events - and the ones that have curiously been emitted.

There, there chap. We can't all be like us.

davejb
28th Oct 2009, 20:17
For all the ifs, buts, and maybes, and bearing in mind I'm an ex crab, in my own mind the RFC and RNAS really originated when they started doing something vaguely useful during WW1, and it would be a churlish extreme to regard one as predating the other - regardless of who officially formed a squadron first. Being practical sorts I tend to think this equality was recognised by the fledgling RAF by appointing so many of the survivors to senior posts.... both naval and army pilots made it to the top over the next 20 years.

While we still have a navy it makes sense to have an FAA - oddly enough you need to be a naval officer to really understand what the navy needs, the army are usually the best guide to what troops in contact require, and you need RAF types for air defence/superiorty/supremacy... and according to some folk I've known over the years 'panache' - but to be truthful a geezer from the dark blue called dave had most of that in my experience.
(Granted he did throw me over a railing onto a table of young ladies once in Florida, but he did it with STYLE).

Anyhow, it isn't who came first that matters - it's who is standing at the end.
Dave