PDA

View Full Version : Berlin Schoenefeld

iain32
26th Oct 2009, 18:06
Hi,
I will be travelling to Berlin with Easyjet tomorrow and I was wondering what the best way was to get to the Berlin Hilton from the airport. I know there is a train service but I am not sure where to get off.

Thanks
iain32

strake
26th Oct 2009, 18:25
It's been a while since I was there but I think Friedrichstrasse is the closest - about 10 min walk unless you want to use the U-bahn. Even then it's about 5 mins.

IJM
26th Oct 2009, 19:04
I would imagine that the website for the Berlin Hilton would have a location map, showing the nearby U-Bahn and S-Bahn stations, and what lines they are on.

My experience of Berlin is that its public transport system is excellent, enjoy your stay there - its a great city.

firstchoice7e7
27th Oct 2009, 18:10
You best check the Berlin transport website out, they have dicovered a safety problem with the trains and tube network and it will take months to sort out. I was there last month and they were running an emergency timetable. The airport express trains were running to Berlin Lichtenberg and i believe the tube was ok but running every 20 mins.

IJM
27th Oct 2009, 18:26
Just as well you posted firstchoice7e7, I had based my positive comments on the transport system on earlier visits, when everything was running well!

parabellum
28th Oct 2009, 00:47
I've done the journey a few times by road and it is very interesting too. A bit like watching a black and white film whilst in what was the East sector which magically turns to colour as you cross to what was the West sector.

May have changed a bit now though, that was eight years ago.

WHBM
28th Oct 2009, 23:32
Take the train line S9, the main airport line, from Schonefeld station into central Berlin, to Friedrichstrasse station. The nearest station to the Hilton is Stadtmitte, and that is 2 stops down the U6 U-Bahn line from Friedrichstrasse. You can either make this change at Friedrichstr., or if you have no heavy luggage you can leave at Friedrichstrasse station and walk south about 8 blocks down Friedrichstrasse itself (the U6 runs underneath this street). The Hilton will be off to your left before you get as far as Stadtmitte station.

One standard fare will take you from the airport to any of these stations in the city. If you are going to be there for a while one of the multi-day passes you can buy from the ticket machine at Schonefeld station is not only good value, but means you can just jump on and off city trains (S-Bahn), Underground (U-Bahn) and buses as you wish.

S/U-Bahn map here :

http://www.vbbonline.de/download/pdf/liniennetze/su_berlin.pdf

One thing I remember the Berlin Hilton for some years ago was a stunning Sunday breakfast/brunch.