PDA

View Full Version : Questions about VB and returning home...

DC323
26th Oct 2009, 17:14
Hi, I was hoping someone out there would be able to answer a few questions for me in regards to Virgin Blue recruitment back home in oz.

I am currently flying for an international airline abroad on the 737NG, however due to family, lifestyle, etc - I would like to return home and apply for Virgin in the near future (ie. hopefully next year)

My questions are:

1) If I hold an ATPL (full as opposed to frozen) for the country I currently work in and I 'convert' to an Australian ATPL (I have the reqs - except the ATPL Air Law exam) will VB accept that as I have worked on the licence rather than doing the old FAA ATP trick?

2) Does the job market show signs of recovering at VB for 737 drivers in 2010? (I know I am opening a can of worms here - but any general info would be appreciated).

Any advice, info or suggestions on the questions above or VB in general would be most appreciated.

Thank you.:ok:

Capt Fathom
26th Oct 2009, 21:14
I has been previously mentioned here, and seems it still applies:

You have to pass ALL the Australian ATPL subjects!

From the Virgin Careers Website:

To apply for a position as a Flight Crew member, you must hold the following:

* hold a current Australian passport or a current overseas passport with an unrestricted right to work in Australia
* hold an Australian ATPL or Australian CPL with examination passes for all Australian ATPL Academic requirements
* hold a valid ICAO Command Multi-Engine Instrument Rating
* hold a current ICAO Class 1 Medical Certificate
* have a minimum of 1000 Total Flying hours, including at least 500 hours on a Multi Engine Aircraft

Keg
26th Oct 2009, 23:29
Semantics:

That sentence can be read two ways although the lack of a comma after the 'Australian ATPL' indicates that the requirement to hold the subjects applies to both.

slice
27th Oct 2009, 00:18
DC323 - just to put you in the picture, a number of junior B737 FOs at VB were displaced to the Embraer fleet with the recent downturn and surplus 737 capacity. The AFAP is currently trying to obtain an undertaking from VB that all displaced B737 pilots are put back on the 737 fleet before any external recruitment for the 737 occurs. However I am sure that the management will resist and try to apply the 30 month type freeze as per the Pilot's EBA (due to the costs associated with the Embraer training presumably). They are currently recruiting for the last 2 Embraer aircraft but beyond that who knows.

DC323
27th Oct 2009, 04:31
While I certainly do not dispute what you are saying Capt. Fathom, I have to agree with Keg somewhat. It is truly misleading. As you stated, it indeed says:

"Australian ATPL" but then it says OR which seperates the statement.
"or Australian CPL with all ATPL ........."

So I read it as you either have this OR you have that.

If there is anyone from Virgin who can clarify it would be appreciated.

Thank you for answering (especially for the info slice).