PDA

View Full Version : London Metropolitan University t!ts up too?

rogerthat777
26th Oct 2009, 16:20
PPL groundschool classes not running this year but are London Met stopping ATPL and aviation management degree courses from next year too?

I've had different answers from them but nothing concrete yet.

Anyone know what's the latest situation?

mad_jock
26th Oct 2009, 18:27
Also they are at a 17.5% advantage over the other suppliers because they don't pay VAT on the course fee's

But it does take up alot of resources which don't help thier research points. Could be there is more money to be made banging out papers than teaching a pish degree and a foundation level none academic course.

chrisbl
26th Oct 2009, 21:16
The university has serious financial problems by having to pay back money. £14m for example

peter knapp
27th Oct 2009, 15:09
1. Yes LMU is having to pay back a large sum to HEFCE, but this is nothing to do with the aviation department. It concerns the whole Uni.

2. Yes the PPL night class was cancelled by the powers that be. It was not a lost leader, it actually made a profit. However, I am pleased to say that we have found a venue for it if you are interested call us.

3. The full time and distance learning ATPL courses are running as normal and we are still recruiting for this year and next.

4. The Aviation Degree Pilot Pathway had students enrolled on the first year in Sept. The second year is the ATPL Theory and CPL flying. The Uni has a commitment to see these students out.

So to squash any more rumours - Its business as usual here at LMU

Peter Knapp
Head of Training
Centre for Civil Aviation
London Metropolitan University

flying_highover
27th Oct 2009, 15:21
Hi, just wondering if I did distance learning with Met what extras would I need on top of their package? For e.g., would I need to buy access to a question bank? Could someone who has done it give me an idea of how much it worked out for you in the end and what extras you bought?

Thank you!

volitalis
28th Oct 2009, 22:58
This is a disappointment because as well as taking this course into consideration for next year, I have a contact of someone who is also on the course at the moment and is being messed around by the course leaders and lecturers.

To Peter, if I were to start this course next year would it be as advertised by the prospectus? Because according to the person on the course at the moment currently undertaking the FDSc, the modules should be separate for the FDSc and BSc. However the university has decided to bunch both degrees together without explanation.

This is the set of modules for the 1st year for FDSc Students

Level 1 modules include:

Introduction to Aviation
Study Skills for Aviation
IT Skills for Aviation
Airline Operations and Procedures
Airport Operations
Introduction to Aviation Marketing
Aircraft Operations (Private Pilots Licence theoretical subjects)However both the BSc AND FDSc are doing these modules despite the former being listed for these:

Level 1 modules include:

Airline Management and Operations
Airport Design and Operations
Aviation Marketing Management
Introduction to the Aviation System
IT for Analysis and Presentation
Studying Aviation
As well as this, apparently the pilots of the course were not informed well into the course that the PPL GS had been droppe even though it is listed in the modules on the prospectus.

Plastic Chicken
4th Nov 2009, 14:34
Their website says that they have moved to Luton. I thought their Cranfield base looked quiet.

Running Footman007
7th Nov 2009, 18:59
Anymore info re; CATS...?

Katamarino
9th Nov 2009, 12:10
CATS belly-up? I've been swapping emails with them today about groundschool for the IR - but if they're on the way out, it would help to know! I hope not, they sound just what I want...

Ganzic
9th Nov 2009, 17:58
I am currently studying with CATS- business as usual as far as I know.