PDA

View Full Version : W7 RC to W7 final

berliner57
26th Oct 2009, 07:35
Morning guys,

Just purchased a new laptop, getting W7 on it, currently Vista home premium, been using the W7 RC build 7100 since its release on old laptop.

My question is what is the best way to move all my files and settings to new laptop without having to re-register a couple of programms

Thanks.

mixture
26th Oct 2009, 07:39
Erm, surely the idea behind "RC" was that you knew one day you would have to scrap it all one day when the official version was brought out ?

I reckon you'll sleep easier (and suffer from fewer hard to troubleshoot issues) if you do the right thing. :ok:

From the Microsoft Win 7 FAQ that I'm sure you read....

Can I upgrade from the RC to the final version of Windows 7?
When you install the final version of Windows 7, you'll need to do a clean installation. So plan on backing up your data then reinstalling your applications and restoring your data.

Bushfiva
26th Oct 2009, 10:37
berliner7, check out Microsoft's Windows Easy Transfer.

Mixture, you can upgrade from RC to 7, whatever MS says, although that doesn't appear to be the question berliner7 is asking.

mixture
26th Oct 2009, 10:55
you can upgrade from RC to 7, whatever MS says

Have you had any sort of background or experience in the software development or QA testing process Bushfiva ?

It's not about what MS or anybody else says.

It's simply not the done thing, one of those unwritten rules.

You do not go running development releases in a production environment. It's an implied term with the developer that you should not expect to be able to get any data back from, or migrate from a development release. Just as you expect things to break on a development release.

But, each to their own. Good luck to you both ! Rather you than me !

Temet_Nosce
26th Oct 2009, 12:38
If your operating system is on a different partition from your documents, these will not be affected. However you will have to install all your programs again.

I confirm W7 will NOT upgrade the RC - I tried!

Cheers!
:ok:

Bushfiva
26th Oct 2009, 12:52
Going from RC to Win7 Ultimate is easy: copy the Win7 DVD to the hard disk or a USB stick. In the sources folder, open cversion.ini and change MinClient from 7233.0 to 7100.0 or 7077.0. Save the change and run the setup.

If you're not upgrading to Ultimate (the RC is Ultimate), then you need to diddle with the registry of your installed RC version: go to HKLM\software\microsoft\windows NT\current version, and change EditionID and ProductName to the version you want to downgrade to.

E&OE, no refunds, YMMV, Google is Your Friend, etc.