PDA

View Full Version : Gordon Brown backtracks on TA cutbacks

highcirrus
26th Oct 2009, 00:05
From The Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/defence/6432845/Gordon-Brown-backtracks-on-TA-cutbacks.html) 25 Oct 2009

Gordon Brown is being forced to backtrack over planned cuts in Territorial Army training amid fears that it would turn into a political disaster rivalling his humiliation over the Gurkhas.

Another fine mess Gordon? Could the Keystone Cops perhaps do better?

Always a Sapper
26th Oct 2009, 00:33
If he backtracks on that, what's in his sights to get cut instead?

Double Zero
26th Oct 2009, 05:30
T/A, and all Forces Reserves - some right now in the Front Line - and other training units cost peanuts and do a great job for very good 'value for money'; better off robbing a bank - oops, the operators got there first.

Mick Smith
26th Oct 2009, 09:39
The problem is that it wasn't Gordon's call was it? David Richards made the decision as part of the management of his own budget in order to ensure as much of his resources as possible is put into Afghanistan. Now Gordon is saying no don't do that because it gets me bad publicity. This is politicians interfering in defence management. It's typical of an increasingly inept Labour spin machine.

VinRouge
26th Oct 2009, 09:50
Fortunately a spin machine that is part of a party that will be politically dead for at least another generation. Together with their filthy dirty backdoor left wing policies.

Wensleydale
26th Oct 2009, 11:07
It's typical of an increasingly inept Labour spin machine.

I understand that the Government is concerned at their poor recent performance in this area and have therefore come up with a Pre-Spinning Checklist....

H Headlines. Will it achieve good headlines
A Advantage. Will it give an advantage in the opinion poles
S Soundbite. Will it give a good soundbite at the next news bullitin
E Evidence. Have we covered up the real evidence.
L Lies. Are our lies hidden from the public
L Liability. Can Gordon be blamed when they are proved to be wrong

I also understand that this can be used before ministers start stalling before the next election.

:uhoh:

W

skua
26th Oct 2009, 16:05
Quality!:)

Mick Smith
26th Oct 2009, 17:21
Bill Rammell, junior defence minister, has just stood up in the Commons and made an urgent response to a question to Ainsworth from Liam Fox, Tory defence spokesman.

Mr Speaker,
Can I apologise on behalf of the Secretary of State for being unable to come to the House as he is on Departmental business overseas.

Mr Speaker, the Territorial Army and the UK Reserve Forces make a vital contribution to keeping our country safe. 544 are currently deployed on operations in Afghanistan. When we have forces in the frontline putting their lives on the line for us they have to be the priority. Afghanistan is the main effort for D efence. It gets the first call on money, the first call on equipment and the first call on training and support.

Over £3bn has been drawn from the Treasury Reserve to support operations this year - but we need to re-prioritise the core Defence Budget as well.
And that means tough choices need to be made.

Recruitment to the Army has experienced a significant boost this year, with over 1,000 more recruits expected to complete training this year compared to last year.

Extra money cannot be drawn from the Treasury Reserve for this.

The Army has therefore decided they would reduce the amount spent on the Territorial Army this year, alongside other measures. After discussion, the Secretary of State has endorsed the approach taken by the Army. We have done so being clear that we will not allow any risk to the Afghanistan campaign in the future to materialise.

No TA soldier will be deployed on operations unless the Army is satisfied that he is properly trained and prepared. And pre-deployment training is emphatically not being cut back. Our initial proposal was to suspend the remainder of non-deployment training this financial year of TA activity with a saving of £20m. But as a Government we do listen.

Therefore, the Secretary of State has decided on a small adjustment compared to original proposals. All TA personnel will now receive at least one training day per month in this financial year. This measure reduces the in-year savings by £2.5m.

I realise that the reductions in normal activity are disappointing for TA members. I believe they will understand the reasons behind these reductions and the exceptional circumstances in which they are being made.

Tough choices cannot be made without consequence. Let me be clear, the media and the Opposition have been calling for more focus on the current operations. But you cannot will the ends and oppose the means. These measures are sensible, they are proportionate and they ensure that we make Afghanistan the main effort. I believe these measures should be supported across the House.

taglo
26th Oct 2009, 18:37
Some sources are saying it's one day per month, others (BBC, Press Association, Telegraph) that it's to be one training night (1/4 days pay) per month.

There is a big difference between the two and this sort of confusion only adds to the mess already created.

airborne_artist
26th Oct 2009, 19:15
R4 19.00 news said they'd found £2.5m to fund one drill night per month for those affected by the cuts. That mean they've still cut £17.5m. One drill night a month is pretty much a waste of time, frankly, and won't stop skills/interest fading rapidly.

taglo
27th Oct 2009, 23:32
Complete U Turn! What a shambles.

From the BBC 2300hrs Tues 27th Oct:

Shadow defence minister Gerald Howarth said the Conservatives welcomed the "climb-down" from the prime minister.

He added: "It is a shame that he and his ministers caused so much dismay to those loyal members of the TA training at home and putting their lives on the line in Afghanistan."

Liberal Democrat defence spokesman Nick Harvey said: "The state of the TA is much too important to be used as a political football in this way.

"It was a shocking error of judgment for the Government to have contemplated this cut in the first place."