PDA

View Full Version : ATPL during undergrad University of Leeds/which Uni?

sorinc03
25th Oct 2009, 20:42
Hey guys,
I sent my university application about 4 weeks ago and one of my options was the U of Leeds for the Aviation Technology with Pilot Studies course.

I haven't received an offer yet, but I might in the near future. Provided I get accepted to all three of them, which would be best to choose in order to move on as an airline pilot? I am currently set on Leeds. They offer a PPL during the end of the first year and beginning of the second and say I can get my ATPL after graduation. That would be no problem. I'd graduate at 22, will have an ATPL at most at 24. I e-mailed them to ask whether I could do my ATPL during university. Haven't got a reply yet though.

What are the chances that after university and getting my ATPL, be it frozen of not, I can get hired by an airline within 6 months in the UK? How are things going over there for the airlines? I'd try other countries as well, but for example, Lufthansa requires the ability to speak German:(...

Did I make good options when applying for the university courses?

Thanks,
Sorin

P.S.: could I as an EU national get a bank loan for the amount of the ATPL course considering that after being hired, I'll have the money back in about a year?

Shunter
25th Oct 2009, 20:56
Leeds Uni use Sherburn for their PPL courses. Sherburn can't teach for the CPL or IR, and that's what you're after. Probably something of a spanner in the works, not to mention that a PPL might cost £6k+, whereas a CPL/IR is likely to be nudging £20k, not to mention the £10k's worth of hour building you'll need between getting your PPL and starting the CPL course.

LASORS is well worth reading.

Genghis the Engineer
25th Oct 2009, 21:50
You could readily use the long summer vacations to work on ATPL writtens - with a distance learning school. I believe that Brunel has a scheme set up with BCFT to do this within their degree, but you could self manage this so long as you've passed the PPL in year 1.

G

BullHughes
25th Oct 2009, 22:14
I did that course at Leeds. If you can afford to do your ATPLs, I would just concentrate on the degree (you'll have your work cut out!) while doing hour building in your second and third years, and then once you graduate, do the ATPL exams and flight training in a chunk. You'll cover the ATPL material during the degree, then you'll find the exams a breeze.

BullHughes
26th Oct 2009, 00:21
Agree with UniFlyBoy.

The standard of PPL training was excellent at Leeds-Bradford when I did it. Not sure about Sherburn, I've done some flying from there and it is basically a club.

That degree course at Leeds is an excellent way to get a good quality PPL if you have no funds (just use part of your student loan) but if you are fortunate enough to be able to afford a degree and an ATPL, I would recommend a degree in a more traditional science discipline first.
To meet academic requirements to be classed as a BSc(Hons) Degree, the course at Leeds was beefed up somewhat, as the ATPL theory alone is not of a sufficient depth to meet degree level learning objectives. Along with Meteorology and Air Law, you will also study Fire and Explosion science, Materials science and ridiculous engineering Maths for goodness sake!

You might as well do a subject such as Physics, and just do the ATPL's when you finish. Possibly do a PPL while you are at uni, at a local club, and just enjoy flying for a couple of years.

You've got loads of time. Just try to avoid the temptation to waste your ATPL funds on beer!

UniFlyBoy
27th Oct 2009, 00:03
Very good advice BullHughes. I could not agree more.

thetimesreader84
27th Oct 2009, 10:52
I was talking to colleague of mine who did this course, then was accepted onto our sponsorship programme.

He said that although the degree probably helped him get where he was, in terms of going for any other job outside of flying, its practically worthless. He is even looking at OU courses in case he gets the sack/made redundant/loses medical etc.

"Mickey Mouse" was how he put it. I mean lectures in PPL theory - really? :rolleyes:

TTR

Genghis the Engineer
29th Oct 2009, 12:43
I was talking to colleague of mine who did this course, then was accepted onto our sponsorship programme.

He said that although the degree probably helped him get where he was, in terms of going for any other job outside of flying, its practically worthless. He is even looking at OU courses in case he gets the sack/made redundant/loses medical etc.

"Mickey Mouse" was how he put it. I mean lectures in PPL theory - really? :rolleyes:

TTR

I think he's right.

There are "with pilot studies" which are really quite serious - at Brunel or Sheffield for example, that offer an RAeS accredited degree in Aerospace Engineering - as well as the PPL; Brunel also have arrangements for you to do ATPL writtens in the summer at BCFT - and having it all bundled up together is no bad thing.

The Leeds course, academically, is lightweight - it's not so far as I know accredited by any external body (such as the RAeS or IoPhys), and not targetted to anything but being a pilot. And if you don't wish to contemplate any other career - why waste three years doing a degree?

G

BullHughes
29th Oct 2009, 17:37
I didn't really want to slag my own degree off, but thats about right!
Im working with the army and OU at the moment to top my degree into an accredited BEng, but I've got to do loads of extra work for it, some of it I've already done once :ugh: .
On the plus side, I do know a lot of guys who did that course with me, and are now flying professionally, although they were adamant from the start that they would do their ATPLs straight after.
A fair few got onto the CTC scheme, and said the degree was a major plus in proving their 'commitment to a career in aviation' in the interview process.
Plus, if you need to take loans out for training at a later date, banks like graduates ;) I'm currently paying back an hour building loan at a graduate rate. They didn't even ask me what my degree subject was. Once thats paid off I'll easily be able to get a larger loan for the 400quid an hour stuff (If I need it).
If I eventually end up flying for a living, I'm sure it will help more directly, but if you know you can afford the ATPL anyway, dont bother. Do Maths :8