PDA

View Full Version : WiMax

Wodrick
25th Oct 2009, 11:06
I live in Spain. It is becoming apparent that I will not be able to have a telephone line from Telefonica (same as BT).
I doubt that any ADSL connection will be much good due to distance from the exchange (3km over dubious overhead wiring).
The alternative is a WiMax connection which indicates about 1.5 Mb or so, it's an "upto 2Mb" service at the moment.
Their installation person has visited my house and checked this with hand held equipment. He told me that their equipment is hard wired to my PC via an Ethernet cable. There is a wireless solution available but this costs another 150€.
While I am moderately computer literate the ins and outs of networks leave me floundering so to my question, can I connect the ethernet cable to a wireless router and generate a wireless network ? I don't mind the main PC being hard wired but would like a wireless solution for the laptop.
I am trying to avoid the 150€ you see, I have a couple of wireless routers available.

Bushfiva
25th Oct 2009, 11:44
Almost certainly.

bnt
25th Oct 2009, 12:59
Agreed - if it can be connected directly to the Ethernet port on the PC, that means it's a standard connection.

My only concerns might be in the specifics of how they set it up, so you might want to ask about:
- do they use DHCP to hand out IP addresses, or do they expect you to configure a static IP address that they provide?
- are they linking the service to the MAC Address of the PC? The MAC Address is a unique identifier of every Ethernet port - so if they ask you for the PC MAC Address, that might be what they're up to.

If they have any sense, they won't do any of that stuff - you have their WiMax box, and that should provide the service, regardless of what you plug in behind it.

OFSO
25th Oct 2009, 13:19
Yes, yes and yes. I have a WiMax connection from Iberbanda SA, their installation boys come round and fix the entire thing, which consists of a WiMax module on the wall with an Ethernet cable going from it into the computer, and another ethernet cable going up onto the roof where the microwave antenna is.

Costs me 45 euros a month including IVA and gives "at least" 1Mg down AND up, most all the time (heavy rain storms excepted). I'm 15 kms from the mast just outside Figueras (Province Girona).

When they've left, go and buy a Belkin WiFi router.

(a) Unplug the cable going from the WiMax module to the computer at the computer end and instead plug it into the Belkin WiFi "in".

(b) Then plug the provided ethernet cable that came with the Belkin WiFi into the Belkin "out" and into the computer at the other (that's the vacant socket you left in step (a) above).

Turn everything on again and your PC will function as before. Log onto Belkin's site and download the ioperating system for the Belkin WiFi and it should work first time.

PM me for more details ! I spent more time worrying about whether I could do it, than actually doing it.....

Saab Dastard
25th Oct 2009, 13:20
My only concerns might be in the specifics of how they set it up, so you might want to ask about:
- do they use DHCP to hand out IP addresses, or do they expect you to configure a static IP address that they provide?
- are they linking the service to the MAC Address of the PC? The MAC Address is a unique identifier of every Ethernet port - so if they ask you for the PC MAC Address, that might be what they're up to.

Every home router I've come across has had the ability to specify the IP address and MAC address.

SD

bnt
25th Oct 2009, 13:44
Every home router I've come across has had the ability to specify the IP address and MAC address.
Same here, and I never claimed otherwise. I know how to make the necessary changes if required, but a) Wodrick might not get that kind of info from the Spanish provider unless he knows to ask, and b) it's still a PItA and worth mentioning.

OFSO
25th Oct 2009, 14:02
Just a further comment on Spanish WiMax.

Spain being a very mountainous country and until a few years ago somewhat behind the rest of Europe (except rural France, which is still in the Middle Ages) in providing telecomms to isolated villages; it was very obvious to providers that it's easier to set up a WiMax base on a mountain top and serve several towns or villages by locating a single dish on (e.g.) the town hall roof, than laying coax cable across mountainous terrain to the town or village.

For this reason Spanish providers gained a lot of expertise in the use of WiMax which has stood them in good stead when providing internet connections. My own provider, Iberbanda, offers a phone connection over the WiMax for an additional 6 euros a month, including virtually free telephone calls.

And of course the best thing about it is you don't have to have a Telefonica landline, Telefonica being just about the worst provider of telecomms in the world. (Ask anyone in Spain about the nightmare of getting a Telefonica contract amended or cancelled).

Keef
25th Oct 2009, 17:09
Doesn't Telefonica own O2 in the UK?

Wodrick
25th Oct 2009, 17:21
OFSO pm sent.

I think that the ownership is that way round but from my limited experience they have a lot to learn from Telefonica