PDA

View Full Version : FAA to JAA - written parts passed, now the flight test.......

Air1980
24th Oct 2009, 21:28
Hello all,

I am another lost FAA ATPL holder.....I am in the +1500 hour and +500MCC boat (5200TT, 2705PIC, 3100Multi-crew, typed 747-400 & E145/135) Just took all 14 exams in September, and amazingly passed 'em all - big thank you to Bristol.gs and the QB.....

Now the sticky part - how do I go about taking that pesky flight test? I know I can do a test in a sim of the a/c I am typed in, or do a traditional IR etc in a Duchess, but option 1 is pricey for a furloughed guy, and option 2 would leave me with a frozen ATPL only......not good for getting hired........

Anyone know if you can still fly an examiner out to the states and take the test here? I am working at NASA and have access to a B747-400 sim anytime....

Please, anyone who can help or offer advice, speak up.

(Oh, and if anybody says anything about the "search" function, I'll cut your balls off).

Cheers

Transsonic2000
24th Oct 2009, 22:57
perhaps the following link might shed some light on your question, especially paragraph number two:

http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/372852-faa-atp-jaa-atpl-merged-2009-a-2.html#post4910779

Air1980
24th Oct 2009, 23:47
Thanks for the link. I took a look through that earlier, but it still doesn't really answer the question - what license do I end up with if I go back to the UK for flight training in a Duchess? Do my T.R's from the FAA get transferred as well? I was under the impression that the only way type ratings carry over is if you do it the flight test way in a sim, in my case E145 or B744.

LAX
25th Oct 2009, 00:13
You make reference to Bristol gs and the uk so illl assume you want to get a JAA licence issued by the caa in the uk. You are obviously quite experienced and have jet ratings on your ATP.

1. If your in the uk go to the flight crew licencing walk in reception at the caa in Gatwick with your paperwork and logbooks and tell them what you want/ask what to do next - they are very helpful.

2. If your not in the uk, call the flight crew licencing section at gatwick, make contact and explain your situation - deal with them directly, they are helpful and will be able to advise you accordingly.

Air1980
25th Oct 2009, 03:12
Thanks LAX, I shall be doing that Monday. I have had a lot of flight schools etc tell me "sure, come fly our planes for 15 hours etc....and then....and then...." but time and money is of the essence - so having the requirements read to me direct from the JAA will help separating the lies from the truth. These flight schools don't know that I was a flight instructor for a while at a typical 'shadily' operated school!

BritishGuy
25th Oct 2009, 06:53
Yeah beware. I'm in a very similar situation and I've found that people are asking me to come and and fly their piston twins and that "I should be done really quickly"........ do the sums and it'll cost me about $8k. I'm not paying that thanks. I'd rather pay for a type rating (even if it costs me more) as I can't see how that $8k in a piston will benefit me. Only thing is, I'm not sure if UK/Euro outfits will entertain me with my hours and experience and all my JAA Exams.