PDA

View Full Version : Flight Suit Coveralls backlog

Runaway Gun
24th Oct 2009, 11:32
It's taken my Squippers two month to tell me that my order for flying suit coveralls takes a minimum of 4 months. It took me 3 months to replace my old flying boots. I acknowledge that it's not the Safety Guys fault. Lucky I'm not in theatre at the moment requiring an even more urgent replacement.

Is it the same on other bases?

vecvechookattack
24th Oct 2009, 11:51
Not at all... Try the Flying clothing store at RNAS Culdrose (not sure of the number but it will be on t'interweb) as they have loads....

Having wrote that I then re-read your post.... why do you need to "order" your flying suit / Boots....why not just go over and get a pair..? are you 7' tall with size 23 boots....? If you are then I can see why it is difficult to get you kit but if you are an average size then just nip over and swop your old kit for some new kit...

Runaway Gun
24th Oct 2009, 12:11
I have to order both of the above, because they don't seem to have my size in stock. Therefore it goes on 'special order'. My boots were sourced privately from another base. In fact, my squadron mates have the same problem, regardless of their sizes.

Stitchbitch
24th Oct 2009, 13:55
If you're spec measure (i.e. over size 12) it will take a few months for the suits to pitch up, they aren't off the peg items. The standard size suit shouldn't be a problem, try giving the stackers at Leuchars a call, with the F.3 drawdown there should be loads floating about....:ok:

Could be the last?
24th Oct 2009, 20:38
If there is an issue of availability with the flying suit (or any AEA), then you should also take it up with your Force HQ. There is a formal process to discuss these types of issues with the A4/J4 elements at Command level, who in turn manage this equipment with the IPT.

Why should you do this you ask.......... Because the IPT responsible for the procurement of AEA has been raped of manpower over the last 2 years - to the point of not placing contracts, not being able to update equipment (a decent holster/better gloves/lighter helmets etc etc) and various other fundemental works that are involved with supporting aviation. Therefore, if you highlight this it will give the ammunition to attempt to reverse the rot or at least bring it to the attention of hierachy.

Only a thought :ok:

Not had any sz 6/7/8 at secret Lincs airbase since June!!

ShortFatOne
24th Oct 2009, 21:00
Don't mean to be a kill-joy but perhaps there wouldn't be shortage of essential AEA if we stopped wearing it when not directly engaged in flying related duties? The kit is designed against certain assumptions and wearing it day in/day out for a year whilst gashing around the Sqn, its no wonder there are shortages.

vecvechookattack
24th Oct 2009, 22:11
Good idea but whats a "non flying related duty" All our duties are flying related....thats why we are called aviators. "Non Flying related duties" are conducted by the Non-coms....

majorthunderstorms
24th Oct 2009, 23:53
No size 11's at the secret Oxfordshire airbase either. SFO, if an issue Jumper/Jersey can survive since the late 90's (as many are worn by people 'gashing around the sqn') then I'm sure that official AEA should be sufficiently durable. Incidently I committed aviation the other day and proudly wore a flying suit (not flying related ...but flying duties!):)

mymatetcm
25th Oct 2009, 12:48
the problem with flying suits, is that there is no current contactor to produce them, thats why they are inability regardless of size. I was told it will be 6 months till a contactor will be sourced by my storeman in the know.,

vecvechookattack
25th Oct 2009, 16:41
They are not inability..... Someone is telling you porkies. Give me yr works E-Mail and yr work address and I'll get you a pair tomorrow.

SirToppamHat
25th Oct 2009, 17:03
Could be the last? wrote

Because the IPT responsible for the procurement of AEA has been raped of manpower over the last 2 years - to the point of not placing contracts

Could someone let me know which IPT this is and contact details (PM if you prefer)?

STH

minigundiplomat
25th Oct 2009, 18:01
"Non Flying related duties" are conducted by the Non-coms....

Wildly innaccurate. There are huge numbers of NCO aircrew in all 3 services. There is also a burgeoning population of officers in the 'flying prevention branches' of all 3 services.

Enjoy your quails eggs and swan on toast in your ivory tower.

vecvechookattack
26th Oct 2009, 09:20
There are huge numbers of NCO aircrew in all 3 services

If they are aircrew then they are NOT Non-Coms are they ?

Non-Com = Non-Combatant...i.e. those not concerned with combat. All aircrew regardless of rank, colour, sex or political persuasion are concerned with combat. Combat is a flying related duty (In the Armed Forces).

Therefore all aircrew are always on flying related duties. We don't do Non-Flying related duties. Even when we are writing SJARs, Manning the Tower during Night Flying, Cleaning our Flying helmets and greasing the zips on our goonbags we are always conducting flying related duties. And because of that we can wear what we bloomin well want.

Gainesy
26th Oct 2009, 09:40
Kinnell, is it just me?:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

diginagain
26th Oct 2009, 09:47
No.

And some other stuff.

PTC REMF
26th Oct 2009, 14:06
Slightly off thread I know, but are the Op Herrick Tornado aircrew now wearing the Fire Retardant CS95 to fly in, like the SH crews?

Equilibrium
26th Oct 2009, 14:58
Been waiting for 3 months for replacement flying suits at the secret air base in Wilts.:*:*
Ref: CS95 flying kit the Herc boys have been wearing it for years and at the mo I dont believe there is sufficient stock to replace that when its worn out?

Would be nice to have the CS95 stuff in Army green as well and then wouldn't need flying suits at all.

Out and about in the desert still living the dream:cool:

esa-aardvark
26th Oct 2009, 15:03
Just had a look, I have a "suits flying lightweight MK 7a"
Belonged to my father. Fits 72" to 78" weight less than
188 lbs. Stores ref 22C/2819. Would that help ?
Of course he retired in 1974 so it's perhaps not current
issue ?

Wander00
26th Oct 2009, 15:09
As someone who has long since retired (and from Handbrake House at that, although GD in a previous life) I am astounded at this thread, or at least the content. Here we have aircrew who cannot get replaced their basic working rig, presumably designed to do most effectively the job it is reqired to do. The efficiency of those who cannot get the correct kit is inevitably, to whatever extent, compromised. I reminds me of the time 20 years ago when I arrived at RAF Support Command Command Accounts to find that the Red Arrows flying suits were provided by a civilian benefactor. Two years later, with the staunch support of the then Command Accountant, we finally got the red suits publicly funded, ironically on the grounds of "flight safety". Is there not some 2-Star somewher who can kick ths issue where it hurts, and get the matter resolved.

airborne_artist
26th Oct 2009, 17:51
Have you tried Ebay? There's a new Mk15 size 7 on there, yours for £36.00 delivered. :ok:

vecvechookattack
26th Oct 2009, 18:49
Crikey fella.....you'll be asking us to pay for our own Navbags next...... Oh yeah, forgot....we already do that...!!!!

TheWizard
26th Oct 2009, 18:50
Size 7 for Runaway Gun ??

Do be brief!! http://forums.airshows.co.uk/images/smilies/smilielol.gif

minigundiplomat
26th Oct 2009, 19:33
Non-Com - Traditional term for non-commissioned officers, hence NCO.

However, appreciate where you are coming from with non-combatants and pedant mode is going off.

rolandpull
26th Oct 2009, 19:57
Maybe the guys in Ramstein on ground tours could wear blues? Actually, they have offices on the first floor and higher so do really need flying suits - damn!

navibrator
27th Oct 2009, 17:54
That's a good idea - 6 or 7 flying suits will make all the difference.

suebob
27th Oct 2009, 22:11
There is indeed a shortage of flying suits due to a contractual 'gap' (as I was told by the IPT). This is now resolved and deliveries are expected to start again this week, with the backlog cleared by Christmas.

jonnyloove
28th Oct 2009, 08:01
If there is a shortage in flying suits what other shortages are there in flight clothing?
Are gloves hard to get and Nav bag's now?

Stitchbitch
28th Oct 2009, 19:09
CBA_C "... and where's my 'Typhoon' Goretex flying jacket we were all promised?"
It's waiting for you at Clothing stores, only one hang up, you have to get on a Typhoon course before you can get one :}