PDA

View Full Version : Transfers in LAX

bigal1941
24th Oct 2009, 10:11
Am proposing to come up from San Diego on Horizon, transfering to BA onwards to London. How long should I allow from Horizon terminal to international departures and is 90min before a safe time to check in on BA and get through security. Thanks in advance Alan

Bealzebub
24th Oct 2009, 10:29
The Horizon terminal (3) is next door to the Tom Bradley international terminal.

From the BA website:
Heightened security regulations make check-in and immigration queues tediously overlong so expect a long wait at immigration and allow three hours to check in for international flights. Note also that, if you move between terminals, you will need to pass through security screening again. Only ticketed passengers are allowed past security.
You will also need to buffer in time for any dealys to your inbound connection and the time it might take to collect your baggage. If it were me, I would plan on 4 hours from the arrival time to the departure time.

bigal1941
24th Oct 2009, 18:24
Thanks very much for the info, despite the free ticket I will now probably hire a car and do the journey by road and save the hassle, and probably some time Alan

HandyAndy
25th Oct 2009, 01:03
I was in LAX last week. I didn't arrive on a connecting flight but from check-in (CX at Tom Bradley) to the lounge took 25 mins tops at 2100hrs.

Not sure what the BA website means when they mention immigration queues as the green Visa Waver stub was taken by the check-in guy and I didn't see an immigration officer thereafter. The queue through security moved along fine.

Just my experience on that day. :ok:

MathFox
25th Oct 2009, 10:08
from check-in (CX at Tom Bradley) to the lounge took 25 mins
Under good circumstances you could do better... But you want to be on the plane out, which means in time for boarding: be at the gate 15-30 minutes before departure so they don't have to call for you in the terminal. BA closes its check-in 45 minutes before departure and it would be quite a rush to get to the plane in time.allow three hours to check in for international flights.
The 3 hour recommendation has some safety margins, but arriving on a plane, get your luggage (30 min), walk to the adjacent terminal (15 min) you are very lucky to make your plane with a 90 min connection time. I would add a margin of an hour for delay of the incoming plane and a queue at check in.

OverRun
26th Oct 2009, 01:11
I echo MathFox - allow 2.5 hours for a domestic arrival/international departure transfer and if you are the worrying type - allow 3 hours. It can get slow, crowded and unpleasant at LAX, and sometimes it can be twice as bad as that.

ExXB
26th Oct 2009, 20:33
what would you recommend for BA's 1550 departure on a public holiday (1 January, next)? We'll be coming in from Laguna Hills by car ...

3 hours would cut into Lunch!

All kidding aside, any thoughts much appreciated.

MathFox
26th Oct 2009, 21:12
Why don't you do lunch at the airport; drop off your bags with BA four hours before departure, then go to a nice restaurant close by and report at the security check two hours before departure. Gives you more than an hour for lunch! :)