PDA

View Full Version : Faa Flypast In Liverpool

SPIT
23rd Oct 2009, 16:54
Hi
I went to see the Flypast celebrating the FAA and I have NEVER SEEN anything so USELESS IN ALL MY LIFE ??. I would have thought (as advertised) that they would have a SWORDFISH and the SEAHAWK but they did not seem to have anything older that 20yrs old. I think there was a SPIT tucked away in the middle of the formation but that was all to represent the FAA when they had there OWN fixed wing aircraft the rest was either copters "which were nice" or FRADU or RAF . If that is the way they celebrate a branch of their service as a result of the flypast (which by the way HRH THE DUKE OF YORK took the salute from HMS ILLUSTRIOUS) I fear for the future of the FAA. :mad::mad::mad:

Mick Strigg
23rd Oct 2009, 17:16
Swordfish - Engine U/S

Seahawk - Elevator U/S

Spitfire - actually a Seafire (a Naval aircraft over 20 years old)

Sea kings - Aircraft over 20 years old

Lynx - Aircraft over 20 years old

You certainly can't please all the people all of the time!

jayteeto
23rd Oct 2009, 18:55
My other half was on a course down at the docks. She rang me to say everyone at the academy were thrilled and delighted. In these cash and kit strapped days it is difficult to get a pair airborne for some units. The locals enjoyed the show, thanks fishheads!! :ok:

SirPeterHardingsLovechild
23rd Oct 2009, 19:48
One of my facebook chums took her kid and had a 'great day'

Bismark
23rd Oct 2009, 20:25
SPIT,

Sadly, unlike BBMF the RNHF aircraft are wholly funded by public support. In addition, unlike the BBMF, the aircraft types are largely unique and the only examples flying in the world. Thus when they go wrong, they go really wrong, particularly the engines and they need lots of a) money, and b) expertise to fix them. Even when there are other examples flying (ie the Sea Fury) the aim is to keep the RNHF model as close to original as possible.

I am sure the aim of the FN100 flypast in Liverpool was not to get as many aircraft airborne as possible but to make the attraction sufficient to remind the good people of the North that Naval Aviation exists, despite the machinations of Torpy and Anderson, and that it is almost 10 years older than the RAF.

Fly Navy

AllTrimDoubt
23rd Oct 2009, 23:04
Spit

Fom my perch within the formation it looked fine.

Others I've since heard from on the ground seemed appreciative.

You, Sir, are therefore a to**er! :}

david parry
24th Oct 2009, 10:05
MS So no Sea Vixen call sign 134, or Sea Fury???? as advertised:hmm:

vecvechookattack
24th Oct 2009, 10:08
Well said Bismark.

Not sure what has happened to the Sea Vixen...

TorqueOfTheDevil
24th Oct 2009, 10:30
Not sure what has happened to the Sea Vixen...

Forgive me if this is a Wah, but in case it's not, I found this on another forum:

Don't think the Sea Vixen will be taking part in this event, as its only qualified pilot (Lt Cmdr Matt Whitfield) had a stroke earlier this summer & hasn't been able to fly the Sea Vixen for some time now.

Very sad news. For what it's worth, seeing the aircraft forming up over Shropshire was rather impressive! Full marks to the Seafire pilot for breezing past the Jetstreams at what looked like twice their speed as he climbed out, while making nearly as much noise on his own as 8 Jetstream engines...And another mistake by the original poster was to complain about the lack of FW - the 4 Jetstreams are both over 20 years old and liberally adorned with "Royal Navy".

david parry
24th Oct 2009, 10:33
Could be something to do with the pilot having a Ticker blow out !! last month, hope hes okay now:ok:

vecvechookattack
24th Oct 2009, 10:37
So, what was in the formation that was under 20 Years old...?

Just the Merlin then eh..?

tarantonight
24th Oct 2009, 18:33
Like your reply to SPIT. If it were that easy, there would no doubt have been an Air Balloon floating along.

Probably have been the wrong colour.

TN.

Farfrompuken
24th Oct 2009, 18:55
on't think the Sea Vixen will be taking part in this event, as its only qualified pilot (Lt Cmdr Matt Whitfield) had a stroke earlier this summer & hasn't been able to fly the Sea Vixen for some time now.

Saw Swampy the other day and he's fine. Confident of return to flying soon. Fingers crossed for him.

tarantonight
24th Oct 2009, 19:37
Nice to read re Sea Vixen pilot. Had fears for him that his flying days might be over.

Without wishing to pry - on a forum with many contributers.........................!, assume it was a minor ailment as far as these things go?

Tarantonight.

MightyGem
24th Oct 2009, 19:56
We watched it from above and only just resisted the temptation to tag on at the back. :)

Could be the last?
24th Oct 2009, 20:20
Sadly, unlike BBMF the RNHF aircraft are wholly funded by public support.

Why is that then?

And who pays for the Army HF?

Bismark
25th Oct 2009, 08:44
Sadly, unlike BBMF the RNHF aircraft are wholly funded by public support.

Why is that then?

And who pays for the Army HF?

RN money goes to VICTORY, Army to Nat Army Museum, RAF to BBMF.

Army HF same as RNHF - public donation. Any rich types please start giving!

Wrathmonk
25th Oct 2009, 09:30
Bismark

In an earlier thread (http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/390759-what-could-next-axe-2.html)where the disbandment of BBMF was muted your fellow Dark Blue colleague (vecvec) stated:

Sadly, HMS Victory doesn't belong to the RN and so they couldn't sell it.

I questioned whether it is under some sort of PFI arrangement instead but received no answer. I'm taking from your comment above that vecvec was [again:E] talking hoop and that, if necessary, VICTORY (as could BBMF) are vulnerable to salami slicing/defence cuts?

david parry
25th Oct 2009, 17:25
Who pays for the Twin Squirrell that Andy, landed onboard then???;)

Bismark
25th Oct 2009, 17:30
a. VICTORY is owned by the RN.

b. The Queen (Civil List) because it is cheaper than 32 Sqn.

MightyGem
25th Oct 2009, 20:32
Who pays for the Twin Squirrell that Andy, landed onboard then
Which I didn't think was cleared for deck landings?

Jucky
25th Oct 2009, 20:56
It doesn't count as a DL if the ship is at anchor or alongside.

Radar Command T/O
25th Oct 2009, 21:27
Counts as a DL, there's just no SHOL at anchor.

matelo99
26th Oct 2009, 08:43
If it counts as a DL whilst tied up alongside, why can't we log them?

vecvechookattack
26th Oct 2009, 09:06
Why would you want to log them..... Do you get a prize when you reach 1000 DL's ?

david parry
26th Oct 2009, 10:46
We didnt on the Vic 65, 125,000 nautical miles steamed, and 10,000 DLs;)