PDA

View Full Version : A question about the best place to train

Greg90210
23rd Oct 2009, 16:21
Hey guys, I'm a newbie to the site and to the whole pro pilot business in general. I'm fresh outta school and looking to get my training underway.
The question i have is where abouts do you think i should train. I live in Dublin and so for convenience NFS in Weston is easiest, although PTC in Waterford seems to be the biggest light in the field in Ireland. I've heard a lot about PTC bleeding you dry with their costs and overheads and that the licenses you end up with in the end are not the standard that they advertise and you're left 100k in the hole. In Weston they told me that the whole PTC thing was a crock and that they just have students in fancy dress and a lot of empty promises along with a big marketing department.

I'm kind of torn and not sure which way to go. NFC is cheaper but PTC seems so professional and I just dunno what to do.

Can anybody give me some advice?

Thanks
Greg

Jalpha
23rd Oct 2009, 16:44
That "professionalism" you see is called good marketing, almost 100 grand and the majority in the states. I would also think aboutAtlantic flight centre Cork, not a bad word said about them on any forum, and a lot less dosh, for what is exactly the same. Remember PTC is not an intergrated course. If you want one Oxford is prob one of the best for less money again. However NFC is not bad also sound people run it and as its so close to you it would be cheap and handy. If i were you id get a PPL first. NFC and Cork will allow you to pay as you go also.

12Watt Tim
23rd Oct 2009, 18:07
Dublin has direct flights to Bournemouth, and there are a couple of schools there. Got to be as convenient as Waterford.

Greg90210
23rd Oct 2009, 19:44
My main concern was that I would be missing out on something by not going the PTC route. I have heard that they are all marketing but that was from another flightschool and so i thought that it might just have been competition fueled. I'm aware that going to florida offers a faster route but to be honest money is tight with me and so i would struggle to pay accom and living costs along with flying costs in the states.

It is my somewhat maybe naive ambition to work for Aer Lingus if they dont sink or get taken over by Ryanair. I've heard stories about the way Ryanair treat pilots and so am inclined to want to avoid them if it is at all possible given that that may be the case. I've done a lot of research on the industry but have come up with a lot of conflicting data, does anybody know if their are job prospects in the Irish aviation market outside ryanair? Or what future hiring trends in Aer Lingus might be? I know it's the old "how long is a peice of string" debate in many cases but I'd be obliged if somebody could just give me some info on how I should proceed in all this

Jalpha
27th Oct 2009, 11:43
You have already answered you own question marketing, marketing. What exaclty will you be missing out on if you dont go to PTC?. If you go you will be missing at LEAST 30000 grand more, than if you go elsewhere. I am repeating myself if you want the full frills go intergrated and go to Oxford. The other alternatives in Ireland are more likely to give it as it is. Always remember paying lots of money wont get you past an interview,it will depend on you! remember its the same licence. As regards where you want to work, youll go where you get a job and thats a big if these days. Im lucky i have a career i can pick up again. I would advise you to have a back up plan, how are you going to pay for training?? Sorry to rain on you parade some schools have an ability to make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside and charge you for it. PM me