PDA

View Full Version : Oman Hawk Crash. Crew ok

Stan More
23rd Oct 2009, 06:46
Heard a rumour that an Omani 2 seat Hawk crashed on landing at Masirah. One brake had full pressure indicated which they couldn't disipate. After staying straight for a few seconds the jet came off the side of the runway and the gear collapsed. Crew made a rapid egress; shaken not stirred.

Glad they were ok.

I remember that the Hawk pre-landing check calls for hyds of 3 twos, 2 zeros. What advice is there for getting rid of the residual pressure if you don't have 2 zeros?

Can't Hover
23rd Oct 2009, 08:23
I remember that the Hawk pre-landing check calls for hyds of 3 twos, 2 zeros. What advice is there for getting rid of the residual pressure if you don't have 2 zeros?

Ask the instructor to take his feet off the brakes?? Worked every time for me.

Glad to hear the crew are ok.

Rigger1
23rd Oct 2009, 09:00
Clearing a Hawk stuck brake - Can only think of pumping the brakes and cycling the handbrake - BUT NOT AT THE SAME TIME. If that doesn't do it , the Brake Control Valve is definitely knackered so do the riggers a favour and eject rather than trying to bring the thing back because it's a swine to change.

Seriously, I don’t know what FRC’s say but I really wouldn’t try and land it, instant recipe for disaster.

Bob Viking
23rd Oct 2009, 09:20
It's not that bad! Just land on one side of the runway and wait for the tyre to burst. It'll be exciting but it won't kill you!
BV:eek:

BEagle
23rd Oct 2009, 09:42
I had a stuck brake indication on the Hawk at Chivenor (aahh) many years ago. But plenty of fuel. So I flew round and round whilst the assembled experts gathered in the tower.

By selecting idle thrust and operating as many hydraulic services simultaneously as I could, I was pretty sure it was an indication problem. After burning down to min. fuel, I landed with one hand near the anti-skid switch figuring that if a tyre burst on touchdown, I'd minimise any swing towards the estuary by turning off the anti-skid and bursting the other.

All went OK; it was indeed an indication snag. Probably. But I shut down and asked to be towed back - this caused OC Fg Wg to moan as it upset his flying programme. Tough titty, Wally!

Rigger1
23rd Oct 2009, 09:58
I landed with one hand near the anti-skid switch figuring that if a tyre burst on touchdown, I'd minimise any swing towards the estuary by turning off the anti-skid and bursting the other.

Bloody good idea, I like that. :ok:

grobace
23rd Oct 2009, 10:43
Quote:
I landed with one hand near the anti-skid switch figuring that if a tyre burst on touchdown, I'd minimise any swing towards the estuary by turning off the anti-skid and bursting the other.
Bloody good idea, I like that.

A better idea - if you're sure it's not a problem with the gauge -might be to land with both brakes on and induce a double tyre burst. I did that once in a Lightning and it stopped exceedingly quickly - in a straight line.

Min Decent Ht
23rd Oct 2009, 14:05
The newer generation Hawks, 100 series, have an improved Anti-skid system over the T1 with spin-up protection. Apparently BAeS test pilots landed with the brakes on to test it in the early days (can anyone confirm that?). I guess it only works if both brakes are on!

Glad they walked (ran) away. Some new drop tanks needed I wager.