PDA

View Full Version : PPL currency question

crjlover
22nd Oct 2009, 20:38
Hi all,
my first post here in the rotoheads forum.
From January probably I will start my PPL training, but first I would like ask you a question. For fixed wing (in the JAR world) PPL you need to fly 12 hours per years and at least 1 hour with an instructor. Is it the same for helicopters? If not how is it for helis?

Sweet Potatos
22nd Oct 2009, 22:01
As far as I know - correct me if I'm wrong those who know better!!

In the UK you need 2 hours per heli rating on your licence and I believe 1 hour with an instructor per year too.

chopper.al
22nd Oct 2009, 23:05
This may be wrong but I believe your licence is valid for 5 years and to keep it current you must have had a Licence Proficiency Check within the last year. If your LPC runs out you must fly with an instructor for at least 2 hours and then sit your LPC with an examiner.It has to be said that your instructor may recommend you have more time with an instructor before he would sign off your LPC.

I didn't think there was any difference in fixed wing and in my opinion they should really mirror each other.

Whirlygig
22nd Oct 2009, 23:39
You need to fly two hours a year in each type for which you have a rating AND pass a Licence Proficiency Check with an examiner for each type.

If you let the LPC lapse, as long as you've done the two hours, you just need training as required. When you have enough experience, this can mean a few circuits, then test.

Cheers

Whirls

212man
23rd Oct 2009, 00:49
Just to expand on Whirly's comments - the LPC flight time can be included within the 2 hours requirement.

VeeAny
23rd Oct 2009, 06:50
the LPC flight time can be included within the 2 hours requirement.

Quite right but if you let the LPC expire and don't have 2 hrs in the last 12 months on type it becomes 2hrs training + an LPC. So try and not let it get that far as it can become expensive.

nigelh
23rd Oct 2009, 11:35
Light helis are banded together so if you fly 206 , AS350,enstrom480 and say gazelle then you only have to do one checkride to cover you for all types that you have on your licence , so long as you are current (2hrs) on them . This is a great saving but make sure the examiner/instructor marks it in your licence that this is a group renewal and not just the type you did ride in . I think Robbos are different and are in a class of their own !!!

Whirlygig
23rd Oct 2009, 11:50
I thought that rule only applied to isngle-engined piston helicopters (not including R22 and R44) such as the Schweizer, Bell 47, Brantly and Enstrom F28 and not turbines like the Squirrel and Jet Ranger.

Cheers

Whirls

VeeAny
23rd Oct 2009, 12:09
Whirly

It applies to Single Engine Turbines Also subject to 2 hours on each type in last 12 months.

The types must be < 3175Kgs (not hard to achieve).

You must have 300hrs PIC on helicopters and at least 15hrs on each type.

And you cant renew other types by experience by flying the same type twice in succession for the purpose of the LPC.

Cheers

GS

Whirlygig
23rd Oct 2009, 12:28
You must have 300hrs on helicoptersAh, that's why I hadn't heard of it :}

Cheers

Whirls

dogpaddy
24th Oct 2009, 12:41
Is it possible to do the annual LPC in another JAA country with an examiner from that country?

Ready2Fly
26th Oct 2009, 14:21
Yes, it sure is with the only difference being that an examiner from/in another JAA country is usually not allowed to sign for the LPC in your license, i.e. he has to sign the form and send it to the authority of the state which issued your license which will then deal with it (...and certainly charge you for doing so).

windowseatplease
26th Oct 2009, 15:07
So try and not let it get that far as it can become expensive.

Too right, the whole JAA type rating system is one big cash-cow. Why can't we have ONE type rating for single engine piston, and ONE for single-turbine etc. No school/private owner is going to let someone take a heli off on their own unless they had at least "differences training" anyway.

The fixed wing world has class ratings (eg Single Engine Land) - why can't we?

I can't beleive the CAA group the Hughes 500 and the B206 together for the purposes of renewing (the only connection is they share the same engine - very different handling characteristics etc) but they won't group together the R22 and R44.

Then again when has the CAA ever made sense on anything to do with helicopters? It seems like they treat the GA heli world as annoyance.

HillerBee
26th Oct 2009, 16:06
I can't beleive the CAA group the Hughes 500 and the B206 together for the purposes of renewing (the only connection is they share the same engine - very different handling characteristics etc) but they won't group together the R22 and R44.

Then again when has the CAA ever made sense on anything to do with helicopters? It seems like they treat the GA heli world as annoyance.

It's the JAA that made these rules, the UK CAA is only part of the JAA and cannot be held responsible for these stupid rules.

windowseatplease
26th Oct 2009, 16:56
The CAA had these rules before JAA was introduced.

perfrej
28th Oct 2009, 22:01
New rules in our country. If you have less than 1000 hrs you can do PCs by group and all types within the group that you have at least two hours on are renewed.

If you have more than 1000 hrs all single engine helicopters are grouped together.

Less than 1000 it's (the ones I know):

B206, 500, SC330, En480 is one group

AS350, EC120 is one group

Pistons, I beleive, is one group

The new thing is that you have to cycle the PC within the group. I have B206, 500 and 330 ratings, and now I will have to do the next PC on the 330 because the last one was on the 500 and the one before that on the B206. Before this change, you could choose which to do the PC on.

Correct me if I'm wrong!

Oh, by the way, I think that the requirement for a PC with no hours on type is that you do one hour dual and one hour of PC to fulfill the 2 hour minimum.

(PC is Proficeincy check in this post ;)

Readyornot
30th Jun 2011, 20:52
If my R22 rating is up 01/08/11 and the last time I flew an R22 was 01/08/10, then if I did my R22 LPC today would the two hours I flew pre 01/08/10 count?

Also what happens if I let the R22 LPC lapse?

(all my flying recently is in the R44 so my PPL is still current)

Helinut
30th Jun 2011, 21:38
The CAA produce a great document called LASORs that pretty much answers these and similar questions for you.

Ecopy available from the CAA website For FREE!

Whirlygig
30th Jun 2011, 22:02
The answer is contained above - if you did your LPC tomorrow, provided you had flown two hours since 1st July 2010, you would be eligible .... but likely very rusty as well. :)

Cheers

Whirls