PDA

View Full Version : New(ish) Iranian Attack Helicopter

Bravo73
22nd Oct 2009, 19:03
...that appears to be based on the Iranian version of the humble JetBanger! :eek:

CEysBZ8HibI&hl

More details here (http://www.irandefence.net/showthread.php?t=48688).

http://www.iranmilitaryforum.net/wiki/images/7/73/Shahed-285-1.jpg

Doors Off
23rd Oct 2009, 12:30
And other Militaries are spending millions on making it an IFR machine:bored: Hmmmmm, I thought we in the west were the smart ones:(

SASless
23rd Oct 2009, 13:34
This is the competition I guess.....

http://www.airforceworld.com/heli/gfx/oh58/oh58_1.jpg

HELOFAN
23rd Oct 2009, 13:42
Wowee, I followed the link read down to the bottom from that site Iran Defense and it did not have nice things to say such as ...

"We gona uproot you anglo-zionists americans, zios and britains are most inhuman on earth, your cruelty is hotbed of our fungoid".
Hehe thats really telling them...I bet that really gets people angry!!

What the devil is a zios?
I googled it and I came up with an Italian restaurant and pizza kitchens.
Who can have it in that bad for an italian restaurant or even pizza?
I love Italian food.

And what the heck has the pom's, yanks & pizza makers been up to behind everyones back? Leave the Iranian's alone for goodness sake.

What aircraft do they fly in Iran that they have not purchased from OS or pulled a china reverse engineering "no we didn't knock it off...we made that ourselves" move? If you don't like them that strongly, Only Buy Iranian.

I don't want to start a war but Jees if you feel that strongly, give back the technology and throw rocks.
Yes I know they get a lot of stuff from the Chinese and Russians but not that much.

This post will proberably get deleted any way.

HF

TwinHueyMan
24th Oct 2009, 02:28
Those guys are awesome. I never thought anyone could run longer with one Type Certificate than BHTI. Thanks for keeping the retro-60's charm alive, Shaheed.

Blackhawk9
24th Oct 2009, 02:55
Unlike the Arabs the Iranians aren't stupid (iranians are persians, arabs are arabs!) saw lots of interesting things when in Iran a couple of years ago, AB212's with TOW missiles fitted , AS-61 Seakings with Maverick missiles fitted, 205's upgraded with twinpac's still with tail rotor on left and with new pointy nose fitted to replace old blunt Huey nose, they make there own plastic blades for there Chinooks (looks like a C model blade constructed like a D model blade), flat plate cockpit glass on the AH-1J's, even saw a couple of single engine Cobras and was moved on quickly when I asked about the single engine Cobras! (Iran doesn't have single engine Cobras!), still have about 6 RH53-D's in excellent condition (6 delivered in the 70's and 3 and a couple of wrecks donated by US in 79 ).And many variants of the 206/206L
I was told that Iran still had approx 120-150 of almost 300 214A/C's, 40+ of 100 Chinooks, 80+ of AH-1J's and all without US support for 30 years

ferrydude
27th Oct 2009, 12:47
innovation and the "faster, better, cheaper" approach is certainly not limited to the Iranians. How about a Hellfire Missile equipped C-208?
Armed Bread Box for Iraqi Air Force
Posted by David A. Fulghum at 10/15/2008 9:29 AM CDT

Right now, the new strike capability for the Iraqi Air Force is flying out of a civilian airport in Fort Worth and will be delivered to Iraq starting in December.

Two Cessna Grand Caravan 208Bs, armed with a pair of AGM-114 Hellfire missiles each, were photographed flying out of Meacham Airport earlier this month. The field has no official military presence, but it is the home of a major ATK Integrated Systems major modification facility and the armed Caravan is one of its projects.

Also operating out of ATK’s shops are C-130s, a deHavilland Dash-8 and a Swearingen Metro IV all heavily modified for clandestine ISR operations, say those with knowledge of the field’s operations.

In Dec. the IqAF will receive the first three armed Cessna Caravans -- with laser designators for the missiles -- followed by two more in early 2009, says Brig. Gen. Brooks Bash, current chief of the coalition air force transition team.

The IqAF is already flying a number of unarmed Caravans for intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR), VIP transport and pilot training and it is expecting its armed Caravans by year’s end.

In July, the Multi-National Security Transition Command Iraq signed over eight Cessna 172s as primary trainers and three Cessna Caravan 208s as advanced trainers to the Iraqi Defense Ministry for the Iraqi Air Force’s training program at Kirkuk AB. The plan is to train 130 new pilots annually. The service’s projected size is 6,000 airmen and 133 aircraft by late 2009.

The olive-drab Caravans have with no national markings, but they do carry an off-colored rectangle near the top of the vertical stabilizer where Iraq puts national flag markings on its military aircraft. The aircraft are fitted with an EO/IR surveillance sensor ball offset to the left side of the aircraft. The engine exhaust is offset to the right to avoid interference with the IR sensor. The sensor ball, targeting pods and missiles will be the same as those on the Predator UAV. A pod on the leading edge of the right wing of the Caravan holds a weather radar. The aircraft also has missile warning sensors on the tail and nose and what appears to be chaff and flare dispensers for self protection.

Comments (6) | Permanent Link

BigMike
23rd May 2012, 22:41
http://previous.presstv.ir/photo/20120523/mbadakhsh20120523100902687.jpg

"The Iranian Army has announced plans to showcase the country’s first domestically-built helicopter gunship in an upcoming specialized military exercise.

Deputy Commander of the Iranian Army's Ground Forces Brigadier General Kiomars Heidari said the “Cobra Melli” (National Cobra) helicopter gunship will be deployed for the first time in a specialized military drill by the Army’s airborne units in the near future, Fars News Agency reported Wednesday.

The commander did not offer a specific date for the drill but described it as “a showcase of military self-sufficiency in the field of helicopters.”

“In the past, the army’s airborne units were hugely dependent on countries that built helicopters but thanks to efforts by Iranian experts of the Ground Forces, such dependency has entirely been done away with,” said Gen. Heidari. “We now depend on native forces to conduct all repair and maintenance work on our helicopter fleets.”

He also emphasized that all the design and development process for building the helicopter gunship has been carried out in the country, adding that in some respects its capabilities are superior to the US-built Apache helicopters.

He reiterated that in the upcoming army drill, indigenous military helicopters will be armed with a variety of domestically-manufactured precision arms and missiles.

Heidari stated as well that a number of advanced anti-helicopter and anti-armor weaponry would also be examined in the upcoming drill"

PressTV - Iran to deploy indigenous war helicopter in upcoming drill: Cmdr. (http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2012/05/23/242668/iran-to-showcase-indigenous-war-helicopter/)
comments at the bottom of the link are gold.... ;)

ironchefflay
23rd May 2012, 23:03
built by the same special effects company that brought you Blue Thunder!

HowlingMad Murdock
23rd May 2012, 23:36
I concur ironchefflay - heh,heh,heh, some of the ones in The A-Team look better than that!:) Too funny!

hillberg
23rd May 2012, 23:52
An R-22 with a slingshot would do better.:} Seen this Bell clown ,clone.:D
What ever, Funny as heck. Better than AH 64?:= I liked the Armed Rotorway Execs in Cosavo.:ugh:

mhale71
24th May 2012, 02:01
It looks like it's made of cardboard.

I see theyve moved on from their cri cri... oops .. I mean faez.:rolleyes:

Nigd3
24th May 2012, 02:13
I'm just astounded that any air force or government would release such a photo and story and actually believe that it won't be ridiculed!!

Top marks for bolting some Home Depot parts to a Jet Banger copy though. That chin turret can double up as a garbage can.

SASless
24th May 2012, 02:28
They could have bought some from Bell a lot cheaper probably.....and in a truly hot and high environment these things will be a real killer. They should build swarms of these things....do a Wizard of Oz thing!

HueyDog
24th May 2012, 03:56
They could have bought some from Bell a lot cheaper probably..

Every few years I have read articles about helicopters seized by US authorities that were in the process of being exported under various guises with Iran as the eventual end recipient.

I agree with Blackhawk9, however, that the Iranians have done pretty well in duct taping their old helicopters and keeping them in operation over the decades.

Epiphany
24th May 2012, 07:39
The Israelis will be quaking in their boots.

spencer17
24th May 2012, 20:39
Scary, very scary :E:E:E

Matari
25th May 2012, 01:57
SASless,

Check out that Bolkow in the background of Bravo73's Post. It has a more advanced, over-the-horizon kind of mast-mounted site system than the Bell in your pic! :E

SASless
25th May 2012, 02:30
Must be some very tall trees grown there since I left in '79!

Alternatively....one does not have to do an OGE Hover with that length mast sight!

Ascend Charlie
25th May 2012, 07:12
In The Jerk, didn't Steve Martin have a dog called Shahed?

...or was that $hithead.......