PDA

View Full Version : Piper Aztec?

rogerbucks
22nd Oct 2009, 17:40
Redeeming my voucher for an hour in an Aztec this week-end- Really looking forward to this, as I've never flown a twin (I fly a Reims Rocket normally) Any tips on how to get the most of this, and does anybody know where I can download a checklist? Thanks:ok:

Danny boy
22nd Oct 2009, 18:59
Great aeroplane,very easy to fly,

Can be expensive to operate with the price of Avgas etc,proper 6 seater twin...

Be warned its difficult to go back to a single after a flying a twin...reference the performance twins can offer..

have a good flight..PM me if you want a MEP Class Rating..

Fuji Abound
22nd Oct 2009, 19:52
It is a very good aircraft.

The first thing you will notice compared with most singles is that it has many similarities to a bus, or how you would imagine a bus to drive - or perhaps should I say a truck - hence Aztruc.

It will seem big and heavy and relatively speaking it is!

It also has a deal more inertia than light singles. It is even more important to level, wait, wait again, let the speed build, and then trim.

Of course it has none of the tricks of more modern twins. Set the throttles so they are level with each other and the props will be out of sync. Tinker with one a little and you will smile as they purr to your beckon. Forget the cowls and you may shock cool those lovelly engines and notice the owner grimace as he doesnt look forward to his next bill. If your instructor demonstrates a engine failure enjoy the luxury of the healty reserve of power the Aztec has - it doesnt work that way in a lot of other twins.

It will be hard work. It is a big step up from your average spam can and at first it will seem to you a lot is going on and things are happening quickly. You will soon realise the Aztec is a big baby - its really just two Warriors with the same rubbish mag rockers displaced to the side of the aircraft, with all the other familiar dials in much the same place except someone has stuck the tim wheel on the roof and turned it into a milk churn.

Unless you are very lucky she will be a bit or a lot tatty - dont expect smart leather seats, loads of glass or any other such luxuries. This is flying as it was in the days no one worried about the cost of fuel or thought these aircraft would still be flying today.

Enjoy! :)

Pilot DAR
23rd Oct 2009, 05:33
Depending upon which model it is, you may find it sensative in pitch, particularly at low speeds. The "E" and "F" models (which have the long, pointy noses) are the most likely to need a gentle touch. Be careful not to over control in pitch when taking off and landing, you can get a PIO going more easily than other types. Smooth, cautious control inputs, rather than rapid control movement will keep you looking like a pro. If you're left seat, and you have an electric trim button, you might need to push it down before you select a trim direction to get it to run the trim.

If you'll be the one operating the flaps and landing gear, WITHOUT MOVING THE CONTROLS FOR THESE ON THE GROUND familiarize yourself how they move, and how the landing gear lock works. Understand how the hydraulic pumps are set up, so as to know what action is to be taken in the case of one or the other engines failing. Depending upon configuration of the hydraulic pump(s) on engines, the failure of an engine may require hand pumping to get the gear and flaps up or down. Expect that the pilot flying with you will take care of this, but you should understand the drill.

After a half hours or so of flight, selcting the gear up agian my return it to fully retracted. It can tend to let itself down in flight on some Aztecs.

If the heater is being used for the flight, understand how it is to be used, and when to select fan, to cool it before landing.

As should be the case for any two pilot operation of a multi engine aircraft, you should expect to receive a pilot briefing just before takeoff, as to who will do what if something goes bang at an inconvenient time. If you are not offered a briefing, you should ask for one from the other pilot. It is unreasonable and unsafe for you to not know what is expected of you if the unexpected happens. The other pilot may say "keep your hands off, I'll take care of everything", and I suppose that's what he/she wants, but then perhaps they could be making better use of CRM.

A gentle and forgiving aircraft, use a gentle hand, and you'll be rewarded with a gentle ride! Have fun...

Pilot DAR

D SQDRN 97th IOTC
23rd Oct 2009, 06:20
if you're based in Sussex, does that mean you will be flying Charlie Echo from Shoreham?

rogerbucks
23rd Oct 2009, 07:05
Affirmative!!