PDA

View Full Version : Missing wireless

A Very Civil Pilot
22nd Oct 2009, 14:58
Somehow I've managed to make my computer lose it's wireless option, so I thought I'd try the experts for help.

The wireless network icon with has a red cross on it. Double clicking it reveals no wireless networks available (it should at least pick up the neighbours if I've broken the actual router); and when I repair the network, it comes up with not repairing the problem because it can't connect to the network.

Broadband works fine with the cable.
Orange ISP and router, to an XP laptop.

Any suggestions to get it working?

Edit: it's asking for the wireless switch to be turned on. As I've lost it, where can I find it.

bnt
22nd Oct 2009, 16:19
Edit: it's asking for the wireless switch to be turned on. As I've lost it, where can I find it.
If you don't tell us what model of laptop it is, how can we find out? Some laptops have a physical switch somewhere on the top or side, while others use a key combination e.g. Fn+F2. Look for a button or key with a wireless symbol on it.

A Very Civil Pilot
22nd Oct 2009, 16:30
Sorry, Packard Bell easynote. There is no physical switch. Fn+F2 etc doesn't seem to work.

Saab Dastard
22nd Oct 2009, 16:33
Fn+F1?

Why not go to the PB website, and look for support for your specific model - there's loads and loads of easynotes around.

Notebook - Model Selector (http://support.packardbell.com/uk/item/?m=step2&i=menu_notebook)

SD

green granite
22nd Oct 2009, 16:39
Errrrrrrrr rtfm? :E

C-N
22nd Oct 2009, 17:10
"Missing wireless Somehow I've managed to make my computer lose it's wireless option,"

I've previously experienced this. Turns out I have accidentally uninstalled the driver of my laptops antenna. So, as what is suggested by other posters above, I suggest you go to the official site of your laptop and download the laptops wireless antenna driver there. Or if you have the drivers in CD, then just reinstall it in CD. There are hundreds of thousands of websites offering bogus drivers. So I suggest you read the manual and go to the official site mentioned in the manual.