PDA

View Full Version : Theoretical Knowledge Currency?

NickGooseBrady
22nd Oct 2009, 10:05
Hello All,

Quick Q hopefully!

To be able to undertake the SEP(L) FI course a candidate needs to have demonstrated that they have passed the theoretical knowledge for either CPL(A) or ATPL(A).

Due to many reasons I will not be completing a CPL or an IR within 3 years of the date of the exam passes but am planning on doing the FI course as a PPL(A) holder 5 years after the date of the exam passes in order to instruct at my service flying club.

My question, therefore, Is there a time limit on these exam passes in relation to the FI rating? I cannot find the answer in LASORS.

Many Thanks

NGB

Whopity
22nd Oct 2009, 16:02
No, there is no time limit. JAR-FCL 1.335 statesBefore being permitted to begin an approved course of training for a FI(A) rating an applicant shall have:
(a) at least a CPL(A) or completed at least
200 hours of flight time of which 150 hours as
pilot-in-command if holding a PPL(A);

(b) met the knowledge requirements for a
CPL(A) as set out in Appendix 1 to JAR-FCL
1.470;
Under EASA proposals you may not need it at all, but that could change!

NickGooseBrady
22nd Oct 2009, 16:07
Cheers chap, I read that in LASORS too but thought it was rather vague! I thought it could possibly mean that as you have to complete the CPL/IR within three years then you also have to complete the FI course within three years. Does this also mean that you can do a CPL with no time limit post exams? Hmmm I wonder!

What is the latest with EASA? Does anyone have a reference that I could refer to?

Whopity
22nd Oct 2009, 23:33
Does this also mean that you can do a CPL with no time limit post exams? No, the 3 years applies.
What is the latest with EASA? Does anyone have a reference that I could refer to? It is stated in EASA Part FCL draft but, as they have had over 11000 objections we will all have to await the outcome.