PDA

View Full Version : Queen of the Skies - for how long?

dghob
22nd Oct 2009, 06:36
Another post referred to delays in delivery of the QF A380s and it got me thinking about the gradual disappearance of the 747 - the "Queen of the Skies" - from our part of the world (Brisbane). These days when I see a 747 overhead Brisbane it causes me to stop and watch because there's a feeling that history is passing before me, and my vehicle to many great experiences around the world is, like me, ageing. I know there's a lot still plying the skies in Oz and around the world but I'm wondering how much longer this icon will be around in any numbers. Any thoughts on this from ppruners who would know?
Cheers
dghob

VBPCGUY
22nd Oct 2009, 07:51
Very limited in MEL now, QF UA FJ and the occasional NZ (today SUJ came in)

By George
22nd Oct 2009, 11:46
Last SQ flight into SYD Nov 8th. Last Aus destination. End of era I guess.

chimbu warrior
22nd Oct 2009, 23:52
I'm afraid the Queen of the skies is the B727, not the B744. Sadly, the true Queen of the skies is a very rare sight in Australian skies these days.

Worrals in the wilds
23rd Oct 2009, 01:22
We still get both queens, actually, though fewer of each every year :)
A lot of operators seem to have switched from 747s to 777s or A330/40s in recent years. I guess that's progress, but 747s are always amazing to watch on takeoff. So are 727s once you get the ear bleeding under control ;). I like aircraft that sound like aircraft rather than vacuum cleaners.

frigatebird
23rd Oct 2009, 01:37
Found it rather amazing at the time (20 years ago), when a retiring Qantas skipper transiting at Nadi came across to look in the cockpit of an ATR to see a 'glass cockpit' as he was going to be out before the 400's came on line. Hasn't time flown..

http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy129/bird__photo/Fiji/scan0003.jpg

ZappBrannigan
23rd Oct 2009, 01:48
The 747 will remain the Queen in my eyes. The A380 looks like an A340 with a glandular problem - there's just something about the 74 that means I can't look away when I see one landing or climbing out.

The 727 is a bit before my time - but I'll stop what I'm doing to listen to them take off and climb out here at ML (haven't seen one in a while), or CNS on the odd occasion I'm up there.

DBTW
23rd Oct 2009, 02:45
Sorry guys! I have heard the Hawker Hunter referred to as "the Queen of the Skies," and several other beautiful Fighter aircraft.

Of course there can be more than one type bearing such an accolade, but the title can really only refer to true thoroughbreds. It could never apply to a talking baggage, trash hauling, transport type.:)

I was only saying...

dghob
23rd Oct 2009, 06:43
"Of course there can be more than one type bearing such an accolade, but the title can really only refer to true thoroughbreds. It could never apply to a talking baggage, trash hauling, transport type"

...heh..heh..:ok:

Jabawocky
23rd Oct 2009, 06:44
Ya trouble maker! :}

Now maybe the Hunter would be a good stable mate for the Y:oh:K

Enema Bandit's Dad
23rd Oct 2009, 06:57
Which Australian airline employs the most Queens of the Skies? :eek: :ouch:

XanaduX
23rd Oct 2009, 07:17
Sorry guys! I have heard the Hawker Hunter referred to as "the Queen of the Skies," and several other beautiful Fighter aircraft.

Of course there can be more than one type bearing such an accolade, but the title can really only refer to true thoroughbreds. It could never apply to a talking baggage, trash hauling, transport type.:)

I was only saying...

Sorry mate, but the Queen of the Skies title can not be applied to some obscure aircraft that very few people have heard of. The 747 will always been the true Queen of the Skies.

Pontius
23rd Oct 2009, 08:33
Sorry mate, but the Queen of the Skies title can not be applied to some obscure aircraft that very few people have heard of. The 747 will always been the true Queen of the Skies.

Of course it can :ok: Flown the Hunter and the B747 and there's simply no contest. The 747 is lovely but the Hunter kicks its arse in the bid for the title :)

PS: A true pilot not having heard of a Hunter is as unlikely as having never heard of a DC3.

Heavy Cargo
23rd Oct 2009, 09:19
HeavyLift getting another two B727-200Fs in BNE shortly the 727-100 going to operate ex PNG :ok:

XanaduX
23rd Oct 2009, 10:41
Of course it can :ok: Flown the Hunter and the B747 and there's simply no contest. The 747 is lovely but the Hunter kicks its arse in the bid for the title :)

Ok, I take that back and humbly apologise for my post. Who better qualified to comment than someone who has flown both types. :ok:

Arnold E
23rd Oct 2009, 10:44
Heavy cargo
So???