PDA

View Full Version : Prolific D & G PPruNers

Pedota
22nd Oct 2009, 02:59
Some regular PPruNers have been around this forum for a long time . . . and some have had a lot to say over the years. I got to wondering who is our ‘oldest’ (as it were) and who has had the most to say?

Here are some results that came from a precursory glance at the profiles of some recent posters . . .

Tail-wheel – Jan 1996 – 2084 posts = 0.41 posts/day
Bonvol – Dec 1998 – 365 posts = 0.09 posts/day

Keg – Apr 1999 – 2879 posts = 0.75 posts/day
SOPS – Aug 1999 – 674 posts = 0.18 posts/day

Chumbu Chuckles – Jun 2000 – 4075 posts = 1.19 posts/day
Sunfish – Aug 2004 – 3049 posts = 1.60 posts/day
Lowerlobe – May 2005= 2282 posts = 1.40 posts/day

And just the other day I saw that BOAC had posted 10269 times since Mar 2000 – which is 2.93 posts/day!

No malice, innuendo or anything pejorative is meant by this . . . I am just curious. I for one am most appreciative for everyone’s contribution.

And another thing . . . where do old Ppruners go when they no longer contribute - who can ever forget the mild and modest Captain M?

Mods - I don't mind if this gets shifted as I couldn't really see a slot for 'self reflection'.

Cheers

Pedota

Cypher
22nd Oct 2009, 03:19
Don't forget good ole Windshear's Jobday Friday posts...:ok:

compressor stall
22nd Oct 2009, 04:10
Dont forget many profiles were reset in the great server crash of about 2000...

Chimbu chuckles
22nd Oct 2009, 04:13
Yup - I was here long before 2000:ok:

Disco Stu
22nd Oct 2009, 04:46
I've been about since the mid 90's and seen the various incarnations of servers and seen the tantrums from both those posting and those moderating/owning the BB.

It's mostly been all good fun but I do wonder these days if some of the contributions actually come from an aviation professional at all. One hopes the ratbag posters are NOT in the industry , if they are then heaven help us.

Capt M is still alive and kicking as is Slasher, both are still engaged in the professional art of 'pilotage'.

Disco Stu
:ok::ok:

frigatebird
22nd Oct 2009, 05:03
This is just to get my post average up.. have a lot of catching up to do, -- and I have time on my hands..

Chuckles for President
Suzy Balogh for P.M. (We need a .. .. .. .. ..)
Barnaby for Senate Leader

Hope it gets read around the World :ok:

Pedota
22nd Oct 2009, 05:27
I nearly forgot these DG&P GA posters . . .

Tinpis - Aug 2005 - 3007 post = 1.98 posts/day
Jabawocky - Jul 2007 - 2171 posts = 2.71 posts/day
ForkTailDrKiller - Jan 2007 - 2206 posts = 2.19 posts/day

I too was caught up in the '2000 server crash' and lost my 'identity' - but is there anyone who is 'older' than Tail_wheel (Jan 1996)?

Pedota

Orion Delta
22nd Oct 2009, 05:35
that is really really scary

Pontius
22nd Oct 2009, 05:39
I know I was sometime in 1996 but can't remember when. It's quite funny reflecting back on the email list, where you had to go through each post and then trawl back up through the list to find the previous comment on a particular subject. Then along came the new, fangled forum board....wow. Also caught up in the server crash when our DOJ and post count was zeroed. Not that I minded on the post count because, at the time, I spent far too much time wittering on about nothing and that count was good evidence of the fact, for my wife to use against me :uhoh:

Jabawocky
22nd Oct 2009, 06:25
Don't count me in with the old and wise..........

Just a smart a$$ with plenty of broadband access! :}

compressor stall
22nd Oct 2009, 06:26
And in about 1998 when the Aussies got booted from the R&N forum into their own sub forum as the Podeans got sick of the anti Dick Smith prattle!

Ultralights
22nd Oct 2009, 08:12
10 yr long service ?

Skystar320
22nd Oct 2009, 08:20
Long Service Leave? Paid.....

tail wheel
22nd Oct 2009, 09:35
The Mod user name "Tail Wheel" was only registered a few years ago - maybe three years ago? The Tail Wheel profile registration date of January 1996 is the date I originally registered in the first 75 or so PPRuNe users.

I'm up for Mod's Long Service Leave......... :E

It's quite funny reflecting back on the email list, where you had to go through each post and then trawl back up through the list to find the previous comment on a particular subject. Then along came the new, fangled forum board....wow.

That confirms Pontius has been around almost from the beginning. All users received a daily email with all new site posts. My guess that ceased around 1998?

Pedota
22nd Oct 2009, 09:44
Ah . . . so who else are you Tail_wheel? I wonder what happened to the various 'Woomeri' of yesteryear? And I haven't seen Gaunty around for a while - I wonder if any of these events are related?

Cheers

Pedota

Woomera
22nd Oct 2009, 09:50
Someone mention my name? :E :E

Zoomy
22nd Oct 2009, 10:01
Isn't Woomera where all the Asylum seekers go for their first Australian overnighter.

Just kidding, Woomera you have contributed to this BB admirably.

I have had to change my name a couple times, due to leaving the site open on the desktop at work. Some fellow employees went to town using my username, learnt a valuable lesson,I can tell you.

In the past though, there has been some really good stuff on here.Great debates, great advice and a truly great industry spirit.
I must agree with Disco Stu, that of late there has been some less than professional, garbage.

remoak
22nd Oct 2009, 10:08
Ah yes - I remember the days of the daily email summaries and the distinctly agricultural look of the forum - even before the weird phase Danny went through of using "target" graphics! I think there were three sections in those days...

Like many, I have had several identities since then... :}

tail wheel
22nd Oct 2009, 10:16
"....of late there has been some less than professional, garbage."

Yes..... agreed! However when we grow from a couple of hundred users over a decade ago, to 280,000 users today, an increase in the signal to noise ratio is inevitable!

Most of Mod's problems today come from a few new users who do not appreciate the quality, professional aviation debate which built this site.

Most of the Dunnunda Mods right back to the start of the Dunnunda Forum are still around and post on PPRuNe.

Tinpis was around almost from the beginning, however he "tarnished" his original users name, offended one of the Mods - and had to "reinvent" himself! :} :} :} :}

frigatebird
22nd Oct 2009, 10:25
Some of us are TRYING to be constructive Tailwheel. Guess we can be pretty trying sometimes..

The Voice
22nd Oct 2009, 11:16
Oh lordy there are some truly old memories being forced to the surface! I also have long ago qualified for the LSL club .. met some truly great people along the way at the 'bashes' here and there that are now life long friends, finally recovered from a couple of battle scars, laughed so hard from time to time and choked on the odd cup of coffee to boot, shed a tear as well .. but am pleased to say that I have learnt some other stuff from the other side of the playing field that I didn't really know on my side.

Very fond memories of Snaily .. truly wish that he was still around this place ...

the wizard of auz
22nd Oct 2009, 11:17
Ah, whats all this piffle about professional writings?. Not everybody comes here to be professional. some of us come here to stir the pot, wind the "far to serious" people up and then wander off, only to return later to see what sort of kerfuffle has been created. the great server crash claimed my start date and post count as well........ actually, I'm sure there were two crashes. one earlier on..... possibly 98/99??

Pedota
22nd Oct 2009, 11:58
So the 'Woomeri' speak once more . . . nice to hear from one of you again! We still miss your moderate style for our intemperate views.

The Wizard . . . I had forgotten about your eloquent contributions!! Welcome back. And what about East West Loco . . . a very reliable contributor in previous years.

Does any one else remember the very stern lectures we used to receive from Danny and the other ‘head office moderators’ about being the most recalcitrant and time consuming forum! I guess we didn’t listen to them either.

Gaunty . . . are you still with us?

Cheers

Pedota . . . since the BIG 2000 CRASH.

PPRuNeUser0182
22nd Oct 2009, 12:02
...and where is Pass-A-Frozo!!!

I used to enjoy debates with her involvement.

yowieII
22nd Oct 2009, 15:27
Hey Wiz, who has time to do that sort of ****e:confused::ok:

haughtney1
22nd Oct 2009, 19:24
I remember finding this site in mid 2002.....and it took me 6 months to work out what dunnunda meant:bored::ugh:

training wheels
22nd Oct 2009, 21:10
Anyone remember Gladiator and his Aussie side-kick (forget his screen name)? I joined around that time. They apparently had some legal court case against SQ for breach of contract and almost every third or fourth post on here was about that! :rolleyes:

VH-XXX
22nd Oct 2009, 21:48
and it took me 6 months to work out what dunnunda meant

I'm still trying to work that out.

tail wheel
22nd Oct 2009, 21:50
Some of the more memorable that come to mind - excuse the spelling:

Slasher (Registered 23 February 1998. Last post 6 October 2009)

CaptIFSnailtails (Spelling???)

Jazzi and the Panel (Registered 7 September 1998. Last post 30 October 2006)

Wizard aka Flukey (Registered 1 September 1998. Last post 26 August 2009)

The Voice (Registered 1 January 1998. Last post 22 October 2009)

Redsnail (Registered 23 February 1997. Last post 23 October 2009)

Gladiator Registered 15 December 1998, last post 25 July 2005, but I don't remember him/her.

Dunnuna Mods have been:

Southern Comfort (????)
The Kelly Gang (Registered 21 November 1999)
Woomera (Registered 8 March 2001)

troppo
22nd Oct 2009, 22:08
What happened to NASA?

QSK?
23rd Oct 2009, 00:21
And what about Voices of Reason? How many posts did they have? Dick Smith must be a high submitter as well?

Pinky the pilot
23rd Oct 2009, 00:59
I joined in April 02 under current handle but was around under a different one earlier. Asked one of the Woomeri to cancel it for me.

Must admit that way back then the boards were more.... errrr....genteel shall we say. It is certainly more robust now! I'm not really convinced that it is any better for it.

Anyone remember a poster (forgot the name) who, after a very lengthy debate on a subject (also forgotten) finally outed himself as an academic(?) and promptly disappeared.

Some were not amused!

Yes Gaunty, where are you?:confused: I still remember the little animated attachment entitled 'Gaunty's big night out' you once put on a post of yours. It caused screams of mirth at the local Library where I was ppruning at the time.:ok:

Much Ado
23rd Oct 2009, 02:06
Yes the place certainly has changed over the years. Pinky I think most would agree threads were VASTLY more 'robust' in the good old days. You just have to think back to the '89 wars' that raged in this place.

Then people started getting litigious and the workload of the Mods went up several notches.

We still miss your moderate style for our intemperate views.

All the current D&G Mods, + one other, were 'Woomera'. 4 mods posting under the one ID - a better system IMHO. I see one of us still remembers the log in for Woomera :}

I chat to Gaunty via skype occasionally. He is in rude health:ok:

Lets see, besides MA and Woomera I think I have had 3 ids going back to 97ish. Scary how time passes.

tinpis
23rd Oct 2009, 02:39
pakeha-boy?

Pedota
23rd Oct 2009, 02:56
How could I forget Buster Hyman - joined May 2000 - 4202 posts = 1.22 posts/day.

Dick Smith is not so prolific - joined May 2002 - 1671 posts = 0.61 posts/day.

I too was around when the Kelly Gang were trying to keep us lot under control . . . what a task on certain topics like 89!

remoak
23rd Oct 2009, 02:57
Yeah what happened to the pig hunter? ;)

The Voice
23rd Oct 2009, 03:15
oh how sweet .. the glory days of "the" Panel are remembered with such fondness :E

at least 1 union became forged from that little enterprise!!

I think they mainly lurk around here these days ..

.. and it was CaptainIFsnailtRails Taily .. :)

Worrals in the wilds
23rd Oct 2009, 03:43
4 mods posting under the one ID - a better system IMHO

Apologies for the drift, but out of interest, why did they change the system? I've lurked from about 2001 and the common moderator user ID seemed to preclude the personal attacks on mods you get now.

tail wheel
23rd Oct 2009, 04:35
CaptainIFsnailtRails – no match in our database so his last post would be before the big crash, whatever that year was.

I've lurked from about 2001 and the common moderator user ID seemed to preclude the personal attacks on mods you get now.

Apologies for the drift, but out of interest, why did they change the system?

The common user name for the Kelly Gang and Woomeri caused problems. Moderating can be subjective and the mods, using one Mod user name, caused some conflict of opinion. Multiple users, one user name simply because unworkable.

Nasa, God bless his soul…… Registered 28 January 1999. Last post 7 June 2008.

Voices of Reason. Registered 31 January 2004, 132 posts, last post 25 April 2006

Dick Smith. Registered 13 May 2002, 1,617 posts, last post 23 October 2009.

Gaunty. Registered 16 July 1999. Last post 21 September 2008.

pakeha-boy. Registered 9 February 2000. Last post 21 July 2008.

Pig hunter is not in the database.

Must admit that way back then the boards were more.... errrr....genteel shall we say. It is certainly more robust now! I'm not really convinced that it is any better for it.

I disagree Pinky. Debate in the old days was far more robust with a fair bit of “cut and thrust” but I will agree the content was far more professional as was the quality of posts.

I remember having a cold ale or five over a discussion some years ago with a group of aviation people at a local Aero Club, when the subject of PPRuNe came up. No one volunteered their user name but it only took a couple of minutes to work out their PPRuNe identity. Then one of them started criticising the Woomeri and one in particular he'd like to meet on a dark night for a recent banning......... If only he'd known who was sitting next to him. :E

Of course, Mods are very sober people...... well, most are. I remember one night, early morning actually, well maybe not too early - around 4.00 am, in a Queensland bush pub when I had to quietly slip away from a certain Dunnunda Mod and a couple of CASA Mermaids and go to bed. A many course Chinese meal, followed by eight hours of solid drinking was simply too much for me.

I think that Mod was still going when I got up for breakfast......... :} :} :} :}

Tends to happen in PPRuNe circles. As Disco Stu, OzExpat, The Voice and quite a few others can confirm! :ok:

Much Ado
23rd Oct 2009, 05:03
I think that Mod was still going when I got up for breakfast.

Ya big blouse:}

Disco Stu
23rd Oct 2009, 05:12
As Disco Stu, OzExpat, The Voice and quite a few others can confirm! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Confirmed:{:{

Keg
23rd Oct 2009, 05:28
Wow. I was just thinking about Slasher the other day and was surprised that he was still 'current'! I'll have to do a search for his most recent contributions as his postings from the late '90s were always a crack up.

Someone asked about Kaptin M. You can still find him but alas not on PPRUNE. You can't even post a link to his website as he's considered 'the competition' and PPRUNE just blanks it out. If you google 'Kaptin M' and go to the third or fourth link down you'll find him.

tail wheel
23rd Oct 2009, 05:59
Keg. Registered 28 April 1999, 2,882 posts (since the big crash.)

Kaptin M. Registered 14 July 2000. Last post 17 February 2008. Runs his own aviation site which is quite popular with PPRuNers.

I think Slasher had the sharpest wit, and Capt Snails was the funniest bugga ever on PPRuNe.

Snatch
23rd Oct 2009, 06:00
I know Bendo has one of those PPRuNe tie-pins that Flaps40 had made years ago (?) but I don't :confused: :uhoh: :ooh:

Lemme think... Rushcutters Bay 1999 I was a seasoned PPRuNer ... Blackadder came all the way out from the UK to attend... The Voice, Kapton Kaos, Claret, Monte, OG3.. and still got photos to prove it :E

I wish I could still log in under my original handle though :ugh: :*

Howabout
23rd Oct 2009, 06:03
I've always wondered what happened to our beloved Winstun. I owe Winnie just for the laughs.

tail wheel
23rd Oct 2009, 06:05
PM your original user name and I'll see what I can do.

I have a PPRuNe T Shirt which used to get dragged out for PPRuNe Bashes only. Alas, it seems to have shrunk with age! :{ :{

OzExpat had a PPRuNe cap. None of the "goodies" are available now.

Winstun. Registered 19 October 2002. 240 ludicrous posts. Banned 17 April 2004.

Disco Stu
23rd Oct 2009, 06:15
OzExpat had a PPRuNe cap.

That hat nicely fitted a PPRuNe head:ok:

OzEx is going to have to get a new signin name soon:D

I can't even remember my original signin name:ugh:

Whatever happened to V1 Oops (Think DC3 and Botany Bay) or Vne (who gave me the Disco Stu moniker)

Disco Stu

tail wheel
23rd Oct 2009, 07:15
V1 Oops Not in the database.

DC3 is a Canadian user, registered 4 July 2000, inactive since 2004.

Botany Bay not in the database.

Buster Hyman
23rd Oct 2009, 08:26
Rats! Thought I'd gotten away with it!

Luckily, Jet Blast posts aren't counted...otherwise you'd all realise just how pathetic my life is! :(

Pinky the pilot
23rd Oct 2009, 09:38
I disagree Pinky. Debate in the old days was far more robust with a fair bit of “cut and thrust” but I will agree the content was far more professional as was the quality of posts.

You are of course, quite correct Tailwheel. I had indeed forgotten just how heated some of those early posts had become.
However, they were as you say, far more professional etc and that is what I miss.:sad:

I think that Mod was still going when I got up for breakfast.

Now, just how did I know that it was none other than Much Ado who was the Mod involved?:hmm:

Would have thought that he was getting a bit old for that sort of thing!:E:D

Howard Hughes
23rd Oct 2009, 10:18
Luckily, Jet Blast posts aren't counted...otherwise you'd all realise just how pathetic my life is!
As I recall you had over a million posts at one stage...;)

remoak
23rd Oct 2009, 10:55
Pig hunter is not in the database.

Lol... no mate, it isn't a user name. Pakeha-boy is well known for his love of hunting wild pigs when back home in NZ... or so I seem to recall... we used to exchange a lot of PM's but I haven't heard from him in a while.

Buster Hyman
23rd Oct 2009, 11:04
As I recall you had over a million posts at one stage...
And RSI....

Keg
23rd Oct 2009, 11:42
.....but that wasn't from posting on PPRUNE was it Buster! :E

compressor stall
23rd Oct 2009, 11:44
And the hilarious days of Pprune Chat - 1998-2001.

Bendo
Voice
Reddo
Jazzi
GoGirl
Capt Kaos
JJ
BP
HOTAS
A Squared
Slash
Ozex

And the panel assessment that ended up in reverse and Jazzi had to ring Danny for moral support (?) from a pub in Cairns....

Who have I missed...?

Wire We Here ring any bells? :}

Horatio Leafblower
23rd Oct 2009, 11:56
Where is Bendo anyway?

Ahhh PPRuNe Chat... the last refuge of the isolated pilot, isolated consort, isolated pilot wannabe and the occasional pilot consort wannabe :E

Elk McPherson
Apache
Whogivesa???
Snr Sgt Bargearse :}
Tigga
and don't forget...
rlterrke aluyenetyeke :}

:ok:

remoak
23rd Oct 2009, 13:26
PPRuNe chat... how about Velvet... :eek:

Buster Hyman
23rd Oct 2009, 13:28
.....but that wasn't from posting on PPRuNe was it Buster! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif
Hell no! Mere coincidence!

But, you won't be laughing when I release the washable keyboard I just invented....

the wizard of auz
23rd Oct 2009, 13:37
Aaah, Pprune chat was a fun old time. Stallie, I seem to remember you were flogging about in a 402A....somewhere near Tennant Creek while we were chatting back then. Reddo was batting for the red and white team in the north part of the country. Strewth... I feel old.:}

tinpis
23rd Oct 2009, 19:46
Pigsguts? :hmm:

compressor stall
23rd Oct 2009, 21:29
402A? Dat be one of dem new pahlanes brudda. I was belting around in a 401A!! good times.

The Voice
23rd Oct 2009, 21:51
Disco old mate .. at your age you're allowed to forget some things! :p

Bluddy Ozsexpot .. 'bout time he graced his homeland on a permanent basis!! :D

just perhaps we MAY see a resurgence in the old pprooonland chatroom again .. gee they were funny nights - wound up having to set myself a 3 glass limit those nights ..

KK still lurks the hallowed pprune turf .. GG pokes her nose in from time to time ..

AND .. there's photo's of the Sydney bash? oh geezus, that was in the days of big hair :bored:

where is OG3 these days anyway?

I remember meeting Stallie when the thing with wings of choice was a 210! My how we've all grown up and found better toys to play with!! :D

OpsNormal
23rd Oct 2009, 21:57
Someone mentioned the Pprune badges. That sure was a while ago. Ozexpat brought many of them in from a bash in Blighty, sprocket then posted them down to me and they made their way far and wide from there.

Horatio... hehehehe :ok:

Stallie fired-up the memory of the hot tub in chat. :D

Dunno what the original date of my original nick was (97-8?) but it seems like so much has changed since then (and I know that I am not alone in going through a few user names in the interim).

I remember some people of the region getting their noses out of joint about a certain resource material being published by The Goss helping Ozzy newbies with contact details to try and help them find their first job, yet no info (although requested) about EnZed companies was ever forthcoming.... :ugh:

I'd like to thank all of those who contributed to it back then, if all of you could of read the good news stories/feedback that came out of it you'd have been surprised! Gooonyez!:ok:

I must admit that Pprune in the early years was a far nicer place (my opinion only) and brought many together into friendships they still have to this day! Some of our other halves even have their own Pprune ID... :ok:

Regards,

OpsN.;)

Mr. Hat
23rd Oct 2009, 23:44
My favourite read is ITCZ and Metro Man.

Don't see much from ITCZ these days.

Stats - who is the ppruner with the most posts, oldest membership, quickest expulsion?

tail wheel
24th Oct 2009, 00:31
At one stage my user name was showing a million posts - Danny got bored and changed the number.

I registered in the first 100 users. Membership grew fairly quickly in the early days, mostly from the professional pilot and airline fraternity. I suspect these days our growth in more in the wannabe and junior pilot/new CPL category, which has influenced debate.

Quickest expulsion? Probably less than five minutes from registration! :E

tinpis
24th Oct 2009, 01:00
Chat is a dead horse nowdays.

ForkTailedDrKiller
24th Oct 2009, 02:14
Quickest expulsion? Probably less than five minutes from registration!

One of my multiple personalities would probably make a fair run at that! :E

Dr :8

the wizard of auz
24th Oct 2009, 08:45
I still have a pin that Sprocket posted me and one that Blue diamond gave me a bunch of years later. I even have the T-shirt that was made for the first Auzzy bash in Melbourne (yeah yeah.....STFU all you mob that are about to announce how much fun we all had at my expense).
seems that there are a bunch of names that were regulars for a long time just dropping of the Pprune world.

john_tullamarine
24th Oct 2009, 09:23
T-shirt that was made for the first Auzzy bash in Melbourne

Mine is still fine .. just need a second one added to it so that it will go all the way around the girth these days ...

Headaches from that time are still in the memory ...

the wizard of auz
24th Oct 2009, 10:44
Hehehe.... Yes they are.
I managed to find a heap of photographs from that bash and the next one. you feature quite prominently in round one....... and none without a drink in or at hand. :}

john_tullamarine
24th Oct 2009, 10:49
Then, obviously, it would be poor form for either me or Gaunty to persist with the rumours that we are both teetotalers .. given to clean living and Christian ways ?

No junk male
24th Oct 2009, 11:22
I have enjoyed reading about the good old days, so thought you might appreciate this 'ole' humour.

After being married for 44 years I took a careful look at my wife one day and said, "Forty-six years ago we had a cheap apartment, a cheap car, slept on a sofa bed and watched a 10 inch black and white TV, but I got to sleep with a sexy 25 year old woman.Now I have a $500,000 home, a $45,000 car, a nice big bed, and a plasma big screen TV, but I'm sleeping with a 69 year old woman. It seems to me that you're not holding up your side of things."

My wife is a very reasonable woman. She told me to go out and find a sexy 25 year old woman and she would make sure that I would once again be living in a cheap apartment, driving a cheap car, sleeping on a sofa bed, and watching a 10 inch black and white TV.:E:E

quacker
24th Oct 2009, 11:30
Some of us to protect ourselves occasionally have to re-invent under a new name.
Unfortunate side effect of the industry with the wrong bosses.

"oops,back to sleep now"

Pinky the pilot
25th Oct 2009, 02:02
Then, obviously, it would be poor form for either me or Gaunty to persist with the rumours that we are both teetotalers .. given to clean living and Christian ways ?

Probably.:D

The Green Goblin
25th Oct 2009, 02:32
Some of us to protect ourselves occasionally have to re-invent under a new name.
Unfortunate side effect of the industry with the wrong bosses.

"oops,back to sleep now"

Been there, done that, bought the T Shirt :cool:

Username 5 for me now :E

the wizard of auz
25th Oct 2009, 03:49
I believe I have evidence to refute that claim John. Pics of Both of you actually. :}
I still have the first and only username.

OzExpat
25th Oct 2009, 05:43
Ah yes, and who can forget those good old days when Jet Blast wasn't for the faint hearted! :ok:

Tends to happen in PPRuNe circles. As Disco Stu, OzExpat, The Voice and quite a few others can confirm!
Confirmed - provided you don't produce THAT photo again too soon! :}

OzExpat had a PPRuNe cap. None of the "goodies" are available now.
Still possess said cap, a set of PPRuNe wings - and a MELbash t-shirt that no longer fits quite as well as it used to. :(

I also recall the same panel assessment that Stallie attended. Also have a photo or 2 from that occasion, but suspect that Mrs Stallie mightn't appreciate them. :E

Capt Claret
25th Oct 2009, 08:15
I have a photo of Stallie's pink tutu! :E

Pedota
25th Oct 2009, 10:36
And so a few more prolific posters have ‘outed’ themselves . . .

John Tullamarine – Apr 2001 – 3510 posts = 1.13 posts/day
The Green Goblin – Nov 2008 – 684 = 1.94 posts/day

At the other end of the scale I noticed that Snatch joined in Jun 1999 and has only made 26 posts = 0.01 posts/day. Perhaps he/she has other identities?

And I agree with Mr Hat . . . when Metro Man posts I always listen to what he has to say. I do the same with Chumbu Chuckles – his posts about flying PNG just blew me away . . . there are some unpublished books in all this stuff.

Cheers

Pedota

OzExpat
25th Oct 2009, 12:30
there are some unpublished books in all this stuff.
There's a few that have been published as well.

apache
25th Oct 2009, 22:58
I am on the wagon.

tail wheel
26th Oct 2009, 03:18
I am on the wagon.

You can be banned for that!

:=

apache
26th Oct 2009, 03:55
fair enough..... I'm off the wagon.

the wizard of auz
26th Oct 2009, 04:37
I fell off the wagon, and was then run over by it. enough to drive a man to drink. :ok:

Hugh Jarse
26th Oct 2009, 08:40
I've been a member since around 96. Until the great meltdown got me.

I remember meeting such legends as The Voice, Capt. R. Sole, Bendo(?) and Blackadder at Rushcutters Bay on the first Sydney Bash. I'm sure there's more, but I have CRAFT.:}

Horatio Leafblower
26th Oct 2009, 09:06
G'day Jarse

Bendo tells me he met you at the CYC... was it 4 Jan 2000? :confused:

apache
26th Oct 2009, 09:35
Did Capt R.Sole ever do his nudey run thru the ansett terminal as promised?

tail wheel
26th Oct 2009, 09:35
Bendo: Registered 22 February 2000. 459 posts. Last post 10 August 2008. :E

Capt R.Sole: Can't find that name in the database.

Blackadder: Registered 2 June 2001. 12 posts. Last post 13 May 2003.

I know the Registration date for Blackadder to be wrong - he was certainly around prior to 1999.

twiggs
26th Oct 2009, 09:46
Haven't seen much from Wirraway (http://www.pprune.org/members/29018-wirraway) lately.

Total Posts: 2,720 (0.86 posts per day)

He always seemed to post the news articles as soon as they were released.

The Voice
26th Oct 2009, 10:14
Thanks for the memory refresh 'Jarse .. Blacky .. now there's another chat buddy blast from the past .. I thought he took up residence in Asia somewhere after moving from the yookay neck of the woods ...

you can get booted for falling off a wagon now? goodness me!!

note to self - dig through the boxes again and look for the t-shirt and badge .. lord knows where they are hiding these days ..

Clarrie .. how's things? Another notable being most quiet these days ..

Horatio Leafblower
26th Oct 2009, 11:31
Taily...

..Bendo first registered in 1998 but got lost in the Great Server Crash... as I recall he had a membership number below 5,000 but he may be fibbing. :hmm:

A quick search reveals a Bendo post in this thread (http://www.pprune.org/flying-instructors-examiners/13981-airborne-instructional-techniques.html) dated June 1999, which I presume is post-crash (?).

Jabawocky
26th Oct 2009, 11:46
Gooday Horatio :ok:

Hows that ADF going mate?

And Bendo has always been a smart a$$ who expands the truth, bit of a Tosser:E but give him my best regards:ok: Did he like that new ADF you bought for him?:)

Hey check your PMs too mate!;)

Pedota
26th Oct 2009, 11:52
Now there are some Agitha Christie hints if I ever saw them . . . just who is Bendo and how is he/she related to Horatio and Jabawocky? Guess we'll never know the real answers to these question - not that they matter really!

Cheers

Pedota

Centaurus
26th Oct 2009, 12:00
There's a few that have been published as well.

See November issue of Pacific Flyer magazine for a good review by Mac Job of a book by a Ppruner.

slackie
26th Oct 2009, 19:19
I prefer to be semi-anonim....annnonime...annono...unknown! However it's not hard to find out who I actually am!! Although I do have one other (hopefully) completely inknown identity for more "controvertial" posts.:ok:

slackie
26th Oct 2009, 19:22
...and bugg3r me, it appears i have been around since early 2000...that's a lot of wasted bandwidth!!!:bored::} (120 seconds later!!!!)

Jabawocky
26th Oct 2009, 20:44
Fortunately Jaba is not related to bendo or horatio, but they both fine outstanding folk I believe!:E

tail wheel
26th Oct 2009, 21:45
Jabawocky: Join Date: 16 July 2007. Posts: 2,254 (2.70 posts per day)

:{

Pinky the pilot
26th Oct 2009, 23:51
I am on the wagon.

Oh No!!!! Now who is going to help me finish the bottle of red if we ever run into each other again Apache?:uhoh:

I'm off the wagon.

Whew!! Had me going for a bit there!

apache
27th Oct 2009, 07:13
from memeroy, Pinky old chap, you really didn't need too much help finishing the bottleS of red.

....... However, always ready to help you with that.

OpsNormal
27th Oct 2009, 08:06
Was there ever a wagon or is that what I was run over with all those years ago....:}

I seem to remember a certain (limited numbers) bash at the old General RW Bourke one night.... Captain Latte, OG3, Apache and a few other reprobates and their "alter alter" egos....:E

Hugh Jarse
27th Oct 2009, 08:18
Horatio, that would be right. :}

'Twas a good night, that.

Can't remember whether Capt. Claret was there, or we bumped into each other in the sim centre.

Did Capt R.Sole ever do his nudey run thru the ansett terminal as promised?No, I'm led to believe he put his back out and was unable to follow through. Something about an old "war wound"....

Jabawocky: Join Date: 16 July 2007. Posts: 2,254 (2.70 posts per day) Crikey. It's about quality, not quantity Shaggs :}

Buster Hyman
27th Oct 2009, 08:48
Did Capt R.Sole ever do his nudey run thru the ansett terminal as promised?
knowing the Ansett terminal, he wouldn't have gotten past the ticketing counter before being "mobbed by admirers"..... :uhoh:

(Not that there's anything wrong with that...)

Jabawocky
27th Oct 2009, 09:17
Like I said at the start...... Not necessarily a huge technical content, just a smart a$$ and plenty of broadband.......

Jabawocky: Join Date: 16 July 2007. Posts: 2,254 (2.70 posts per day)

http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/boohoo.gif

Crikey. It's about quality, not quantity Shaggs http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/badteeth.gif

Now here here you two, and you know I know a bit :oh: ....How about your numbers get "seasonally adjusted for all the multi personna compared to my one! :=

And if you take out the multitudes of ADSB and other raging debates (quality at times), photos thread (supreme quality) and the global warming thread (essential reading)............yeah OK...I still have plenty of cr@p left behind...... but not as much as you politicians are try to suggest! :E :ok:

Jaba:sad:

First_Principal
27th Oct 2009, 09:33
Well looking back at some postings from '99 I don't see any usernames that are regularly in current use, not to say that the same users aren't still around though :E

For those that are interested in what PPRuNe looked like back then you may want to have a squiz at these for example:

Welcome to PPRuNe (http://web.archive.org/web/19990208015703/http://www.pprune.org/)
PPRuNe Bulletin Board (http://web.archive.org/web/19990921145626/pprune.org/cgibin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Dunnunda+Forum&number=12&DaysPrune=2&LastLogin=)

I see the mods listed as ULURU and Southern Comfort, neither of whom appear in the present user list...

remoak
27th Oct 2009, 09:50
Lol... I found myself in that archive under my old username, and I had over 1000 posts even then! Takes you back, that does... :}

YPJT
27th Oct 2009, 09:59
:eek: I see Realist on that old list. Wasn't he a hoot? Usually threatening legal action from his solicitors.

Horatio Leafblower
27th Oct 2009, 11:00
Ahhh yes, the Triple Idiot I think he was called... :}

Mr. Hat
27th Oct 2009, 23:07
Very interesting First Principal thanks for that.

I started in 99 from memory but didn't pluck the guts up to get a tag until 02.

I often wonder what the story is behind some tags. Some are very clever - Huge or Buster!

tail wheel
27th Oct 2009, 23:20
Crikey - I forgot about the Uluru Mod user name. I think came between the Kelly Gang and Woomera?

That user name is no longer in the database.

tobzalp
28th Oct 2009, 09:46
While not making the 90s, I created my first banned :8 identity in early 2000. Of note, my finish the sentence thread is still to this day on the front page of Jet Blast. Vernon... (http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/103589-finish-sentence-thread.html)

Pedota
28th Oct 2009, 11:48
And what a wonderful achievement Tobzalp . . . last I checked there were a rather prophetic 20,737 responses to that thread since 2003 - a beautifully simple idea. Perhaps some posters here will enjoy the story as well?

Cheers

Pedota

tail wheel
28th Oct 2009, 11:53
If you are talking aout your alter ego registered 28 November 2002, last post 3 April 2009, it doesn't look like it is on the banned list to me? :confused:

If I have the wrong user name, PM the user name and I'll see if I can grant parole. :ok:

OzExpat
28th Oct 2009, 12:06
Okay, okay, just to state the bleeding obvious... I am not on the wagon and NEVER have been. No tw, this is NOT the opportunity to produce THAT photo as evidence! :}

Which photo??? :confused: :confused:

Oh, you mean this one of you and Wiz at the office:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Woomera/Brisbash.jpg

:} :} :}

Tail Wheel

Skycop
28th Oct 2009, 12:15
OzExpat,

Some of us don't even need to see that photo. I remember it and I didn't even attend that bash! If you get into the company of naughty girls, you might end up like.......well, a naughty girl. :E

I was originally registered May 1995 as SARboy, but the crash (there's been more than one) put paid to me back then. I changed location by 6,000 miles and type of work and someone else re-registered as me! Never seen him post though.

Pedota
28th Oct 2009, 12:19
Oh dear . . . just what can they be talking about????

greybeard
28th Oct 2009, 12:48
In at the early stage when it was a "broardsheet" and actually had some good stuff.

Got burned in the "crash"

The standard is not what it was or perhaps could/should be, but the mods do their best.

Still good fun most of the time.

:ok::ok:

*Lancer*
29th Oct 2009, 00:08
Are there any characters out there who have been trawling around for years, and have YET TO POST?

Perhaps now is the time to register and come out of the shadows!! :ok:

Blue Sky Baron
29th Oct 2009, 01:54
Also been around since the very early days before the bulletin board style was introduced.
Also have vivid memories of PPRuNe Chat, especially the night of Sept 11 when the Twin Towers were attacked. There were about a dozen people on chat and within 5 miutes of the attack chat lit up like a christmas tree with hundreds logging on. Pages were scrolling so fast it was almost impossible to read anything.
I still enjoy reading posts here but rarely get involved unless I can make a positive contribution. :E

BSB

tinpis
29th Oct 2009, 21:34
What became of Sheep Guts? :hmm:

Pedota
29th Oct 2009, 23:03
Yes, the standard and quality of posts has dropped since around April 2005.

Well it cannot be tinpis' fault then as he didn't join until August 2005 - or at least one of him didn't!

tinpis
30th Oct 2009, 01:50
Well it cannot be tinpis' fault then as he didn't join until August 2005 - or at least one of him didn't!

Been here since 2000.

Buster Hyman
30th Oct 2009, 02:16
Been here since 2000.
Use by Date was 97 though...:E:ouch::suspect:

the wizard of auz
30th Oct 2009, 11:41
Bwaahahahaha ^ ^ sorry Tinny, that was friggen funny. :}

apache
30th Oct 2009, 13:13
my monniker was never lost, or reset in "the crash" !!!!!

perhaps it was all a big excuse to get rid of troublemakers?

the wizard of auz
30th Oct 2009, 13:35
Ya think?????? well, I'm back then. :E

tinpis
30th Oct 2009, 20:36
Nah, wrong Buster. 1989 :hmm:

triadic
31st Oct 2009, 00:17
I should be out mowing the lawn, but have just caught up with this most interesting thread.

I value PP for what it is and for what it gives the users, be they extremists or not! Of course there is much bar talk and you just have to take that for what it is, but on the other hand there is a lot of good stuff and it is always a good source of information (I won't say "news").

I tend to be a more serious poster and that reflects in my posts, but have been here for some time and enjoy the natter - one just has to pick and choose I guess.

I see that Gaunty has had a few mentions, but he was for some time the mod for these forums. And at one stage we had 4 for this part of the world, which I thought was good, but obviously made work for the mods and used up bandwidth.

The only thing that still gets me from time to time is when posts are moved without apparent reason and the mod's don't say why, especially when it is airline related and in reporting points. But it is their BB and we just have to accept that I guess.

Good work TW.... :ok::ok:

OzExpat
31st Oct 2009, 07:52
Yes, thank you tw. I really enjoyed seing THAT photo again... :eek:

peuce
1st Nov 2009, 00:23
I think there should be special mention of those PPruners who have been threatened with legal action by other PPruners ... and I'm proud to be part of that club.

Some take PPrune vewy, vewy sewiously :E

Tinstaafl
1st Nov 2009, 01:26
1998 join for me. Still on my original user name even through the crashes. Lost about 1300 posts in one of them though. Don't care about the trivial, but a bit of a bummer about the technical ones.

nasa
4th Dec 2009, 05:28
Still here Tail Wheel, Troppo.........Just time constrained and "Better to have people think you are a fool than open your mouth and prove it" :ok:

Come in and read every now and then but tend to run outa time before I get thru most Threads.........

gaunty
5th Dec 2009, 02:56
Aaaaahh me and like a few of us around here, I thought I would be kicking back on my Nordhaven 67 doing a bit of passagemaking with Mrs gaunty and playing with the grandkids (2 now and one due on Monday).

But then the GFC arrives almost the very day I start a brand new business, ooops, I am working harder than I did when I was a callow yoof and we are in good shape with a whole new way of doing business, the old way got trashed in Oct 2007. We actually knew it was coming but our past experience suggested the timing was right, out of great adversity comes great opportunity.:suspect:

Although my peers will know that the judicious application of age, experience, rat cunning and guile usually overcomes the exuberance of yoof.:*

PPPRune has been an interesting 10 years it maybe more, number of posts? and then there was the crash of 2000, never was a target just a measure of engagement. A lot fun and some very funny, very erudite folks and straight talkers until a social climber of the worst kind Super Mod bowing to some bullsh!t from a somtime meddler screwed the pooch.
The day the music died.
Many of you will never know of the influence that D & G folk used to have in Canberra circles. Several really really dumb agenda fraudulently run were exposed rollled back and their authors run out of town, and so it goes. You knew this was so when the alphabet orgs and meddlers spent nearly as much time trying to discredit PPRune as they should have been spending getting on with their bizarre agenda.

I've popped in from time to time, but time and tide with the GFC and stuff have prevailed and as they say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. next year is going to be great, different but great, those who have been through these times before some of us oldies (its the 5th for me) know that that apart from knowing what is going to happen next and the pain, the real benefit is that it flushes out the weak and the ill conceived dreamers. Nothing wrong with dreamers as long as they have a bankable business plan.

On another note, the documentation is in and the auditors arrive from the US in Feb to complete our IS-BAO accreditation. We will then hold the highest level of aviation accreditation possible and one of only around 200 worldwide but growing companies that do. The list is impressive. www.ibac.org (http://www.ibac.org)

In the meantime if I am about to be inundated with grandkinder from the ES and my latest so If I dont get back before Christmas have a very happy one and remember nothing and I mean nothing is more imortant than family, not even aviation.:eek:

Have a good one all.

tinpis
5th Dec 2009, 18:35
Gaunty
Best wishes for the festive season and New Year :ok:
I'm surprised that somebody over Perth way hasn't invented a tablet you can add to your planes fuel tank to cut carbon emissions?:E

TeePee

Checkboard
6th Dec 2009, 12:10
Hi gaunty, and all the others!

Some memories and old names here then. I've met the original dunnunder mod, Southern Comfort - who proved that (certainly at that time) D&G needed more than one mod, for 24 hour coverage to stop the litigation threats! :ok:

Post counts became pointless when Danny amused himself in 2000 or so by upping some to 10,000+, and dropping others to zero. My actual count is too embarrassing to mention. :O

Fond memories of "the panel" as well. :}

What's that, dear .... OH! nothing ... just PPRuNing, ya know .. :E

the wizard of auz
6th Dec 2009, 13:29
Ah yes. The Panel. now there was many evenings entertainment. Jazzy was a baaaad lass. :ok:

redsnail
6th Dec 2009, 15:19
Yep, and when jazzi posted a little while ago she was informed by a UK based moderator that "she was no longer welcome". So she left. :( However, she's alive and well in Cairns. :ok:

CaptainIFsnailtrails was a legend. Not only did he possess a wit that was pretty much unbeaten, his Techlog posts were well worth a read. One senior B744 TRE at BA said that Snaily's weather radar post was the best he'd ever seen on "how it works and how to make it work for you". Alas, Snaily's gone. :{

Slasher does come close to Snaily. I wish he'd post (any where!) more often. :)

As for Southern Comfort :E

lame
9th Dec 2009, 03:38
I cannot believe some of you are still here. :E

Fantome
14th Dec 2009, 21:43
Ah Gaunty . . .. just when we feared the worse with your prolonged silence, up you pop with the inspiring news that you have reinvented yourself and intend to set the pace again in the swampland you know with the certainty of an old gynae's grope.

May the season of goodwill and wide gates of religious hypocrisy pass comfortably. And may for have many a fond embrace in the bosum of your . . ..

As Vonnegut ('Slaughter House 5' ) , oft reminded us. . . 'and so it goes' . .

'Oh, I want to be in that number . . ..'