PDA

View Full Version : Languages bonus?

Co-Captain
21st Oct 2009, 15:46
Nobody in my learning centre can answer my query, hence the post.

I remember hearing of a scheme whereby if you were able to speak another language you could 'register' that ability and were thereby entitled to a small bonus.

Did I dream this or is there such a scheme out there?

Ta :ok:

minigundiplomat
21st Oct 2009, 15:51
I seem to recall the scheme from RAFG, where german speakers got some form of award.

Im sure it still exists for Pashto/Dari/Farsi speakers, though I havent seen anything recently.

If it's GCSE Spanish - Good luck with JPA!

8-15fromOdium
21st Oct 2009, 16:17
Its in a DIN - 2009DIN01-192 Defence Operational Languages Award Scheme.

BTW your Learning Centre needs a kick up the @rse for not knowing this.

hungryhorse
21st Oct 2009, 16:19
I gained the German Colloquial Level C qual in 2001/2 at JHQ Rheindalen - for my efforts I received a one-off payment of £150. Which is better than a kick in the sl*ts. The level was between GCSE to A-Level standard - not sure what that equates to now!

HH

L J R
21st Oct 2009, 16:25
...and then with your newly found (small) bonus, you can enjoy the benefits of being outside the wire at Bastion......

isaneng
21st Oct 2009, 16:26
A note of caution - revealing your linguistic capability may also make you susceptible to temporary duty in out of trade and area assignements....

airborne_artist
21st Oct 2009, 16:33
I well remember the call for good Spanish speakers in early 1982. Quite a few who'd been collecting their language pay got a surprise!

Climebear
21st Oct 2009, 16:44
Google is your friend.

Some details available in JSP 752 Chapter 9 Section 13 'Language Awards' available online here (http://www.rafcom.co.uk/pay_allowances/pdf/JSP752_Ver9.pdf) through the RAF Community Support website (http://www.rafcom.co.uk/).

09.1301. Aim. The aim of Language Awards is to offer a financial reward to encourage Service personnel to obtain language qualifications that are directly related to the needs of the Service. The detailed rules and procedures, sponsored by SP Pol Manning, regarding the eligibility and entitlement to Language Awards are laid down in the following single Service regulations:

a. RN - BR 1797 Chapter 16.

b. Army - AGAIs, Volume 1, Chapter 21.

c. RAF - AP 3379, Volume 2, Leaflet 1919.

09.1310. Eligible Languages. The operationally important languages covered by the Scheme are Arabic, Farsi/Dari and Pushtu. Awards will be paid to Service individuals who apply to join the Scheme and are accepted by passing the MOD Language Examination Board (MODLEB) examination at the required standard in any of these languages.

There's more at the link.

minigundiplomat
21st Oct 2009, 16:54
I well remember the call for good Spanish speakers in early 1982. Quite a few who'd been collecting their language pay got a surprise!

So 'Dos cerveza por favore' didn't quite cut it?

CirrusF
21st Oct 2009, 17:10
I seem to recall the scheme from RAFG, where german speakers got some form of award.

BAOR had award too. I vaguely remember getting £150 or so, plus a "Regimental Darts Champion" badge on my arm.

BEagle
21st Oct 2009, 18:07
Back in the days of 1369s, they always wanted you to state your linguistic qualifications. So every year I used to write 'French / German / Latin 'O' levels 1965, current standard - lapsed'.

Until one year some oikish flight commander said that 'O' level Latin was taking the pi$$ and demanded that I delete it from the draft....:rolleyes:

B****y lower order peasant probably did metalwork at some grim Secondary Modern.....:\

Cornerstone958
21st Oct 2009, 19:41
Ere... Nothing wrong with Metalwork....'O' Level Grade 'B' !!!:}

Co-Captain
21st Oct 2009, 20:20
Useful responses chaps - thanks.

And the language is only useful in very cool places! :cool:

Manuel de Vol
21st Oct 2009, 22:24
Back in the days of 1369s, they always wanted you to state your linguistic qualifications. So every year I used to write 'French / German / Latin 'O' levels 1965, current standard - lapsed'.

Until one year some oikish flight commander said that 'O' level Latin was taking the pi$$ and demanded that I delete it from the draft....:rolleyes:

B****y lower order peasant probably did metalwork at some grim Secondary Modern.....:\

One of my flight commanders (a gentleman with an IQ which might just - on a good day - have challenged Dubya) wrote on my 1369: "He is reasonably intelligent."

Pissed me off no end ... I'd spent many years persuading everybody that I was as thick as a brick (I was after promotion) and he queered my chances.

I spoke pretty good English when I was in the Air Force (not my mother tongue.) I didn't get a penny extra for it.

I also spoke a couple of other languages and although the Air Force didn't pay me for my linguistic ability, I got better tables in restaurants and paid smaller bills.

Swings and roundabouts.

With the contraction in UKAF, would 'Geordie' be a good option for somebody wishing to learn a foreign language?

Capetonian
21st Oct 2009, 22:35
My 'ex' was ground staff for SAA. In those days (early 1980's) they got an allowance for each language over and above the two national languages, which were Afrikaans and Afrikaans and Afrikaans (and 'n bietjie Engels), plus one foreign language. She spoke 5 languages and her allowance was a grand total of ZAR 6. Yes, 6 rand! Admittedly in those days you could get a meal for 6 rand, whereas now it's not even the price of a beer.

South Africa was a bilingual country, or tweetaalig as they said. So if you spoke Afrikaans and you was able to string togevver a few words of Engels how bad your aksent were wasn't mattering, you was officially buy-ling-yew-al.

Those were the days.

On_The_Top_Bunk
21st Oct 2009, 22:48
I had to sit an exam at North Luffenham for my colloquial exam in 1985. Got paid £180 on passing Polish. I think you can re-qualify every 5 years.

Manuel de Vol
21st Oct 2009, 23:23
Some people did quite well out of Luffenham.

I knew a guy (as perhaps do many of you) who went there to learn Russian and married one of his instructors. - He speaks fluent Polish, too.

L J R
21st Oct 2009, 23:24
Do you need an additional language to find your way to RAF Valley?

Manuel de Vol
21st Oct 2009, 23:25
If you get lost, you could always ask your fa-ah-ah-ther;)