PDA

View Full Version : Image Verification during login

Captain Planet
21st Oct 2009, 12:35
Every time I login, on entering my username and password, I'm transferred to the same window again with an image verification consisting of numbers and letters that I must enter along with my username and password again.

Just wondering if this is a Google Chrome specification or is it PPRuNe themselves?

Regards,
CP.

TheOptimist
21st Oct 2009, 12:43
It's Pprune.

It's a step websites use to verify that you're not a bot - the images are not recegnisable as text.

The fact that it has to be done EVERY time is absolutely stupid. Last time I checked, people can't turn into computers.

Captain Planet
21st Oct 2009, 12:55
It is ridiculous. With most sites that I've had this situation with, there was a registration in which you confirmed your email address and after that you didn't have to go through the same process again. Maybe PPRuNe might be kind and adopt this? The image verification truly is a pain in the arse!

Regards,
CP

mixture
21st Oct 2009, 13:07
absolutely stupid.

It is ridiculous.

I concurr. It is both absolutley stupid and rediculous.

It is a lazy, half-hearted attempt at a quick fix.

There are much more elegant ways to do things.

The problem is, from my understanding, is that there is a split management structure on PPRuNe. Whereby the people that actually use the system (the mods) do not have any influence on its technical implementation (handled by some techies in the US as far as I can tell). The techies never use the site so they probably couldn't care less about the impact of a solution like this as long as it "works".

Bushfiva
21st Oct 2009, 13:33
Ensure you allow cookies from the domain, click "remember me" and you only have to go through the ritual once.

As for "techies", not only do they own this site, they own several hundred other sites, as well as vBulletin itself.

If you have to log in every time, it's a self-inflicted problem.

green granite
21st Oct 2009, 14:00
But don't do it in an internet café. :)

mixture
21st Oct 2009, 14:41
Ensure you allow cookies from the domain, click "remember me" and you only have to go through the ritual once.

Some of us are obvioulsy more security conscious thatn others....:ugh:

If you have to log in every time, it's a self-inflicted problem.

Feable excuse. Missing the point completely.

Bushfiva
21st Oct 2009, 14:46
So continue typing the captcha text, security boy.

mixture
21st Oct 2009, 14:50
don't worry, I will...... :ok:

I could start trying to explain why your stance is incorrect but I'll leave you to it, agree to disagree.