PDA

View Full Version : UK ATPL .... but where?

RollNow!
21st Oct 2009, 10:59
Hi all... 1st off... apologies if this has been discussed a million times here but im just looking for some "horses mouth" opinions of ATPL flight schools. Recent ones too :)

I am a PPL, ready and raring to go for ATPL theory now. I have a shiny new "Q-Bank" to start with. Im just looking at different schools right now and before i invest all that money for the privilege of melting my poor brain i was wondering which one was the best to go for.

I have looked in AFT in coventry, C.A.T.S and BGS. I hear they are all good but on experience which one would people go for? Any advice is appreciated and thanks in advance :)

RN! :}

RollNow!
21st Oct 2009, 11:25
Thanks both!

CATS is good for the money since i will be distance learning. Ill have to simply because i need to keep working. Im a lowly dispatcher so i will need all the cash i can get for it. Im also hour building so cash is tight.

Ill need to look at BGS prices but that confirms for me how good they are meant to be i have heard a lot of good things about them. As for CATS i know less about but i hear nothing bad so that has to be a good thing :)

RN!

Coffin Corner
21st Oct 2009, 11:40
A lowly dispatcher? Don't do yourself down, you guys do a sterling job.

As for ATPLs, one assumes you are going to do them slowly? One also assumes you have read the pages on the "Growing Evidence Of An Upturn yaddayadda" thread?

If you are going to press on then under normal circumstances people can only give informed decisions on 1 groundschool, because that's all they have attended. In light of this I am recommending Bristol gs. They are superb, and will get you through.

Good luck whatever you decide

CC

Halfbaked_Boy
21st Oct 2009, 12:46
RollNow!

Hope you're doing well! I distance learnt with Oxford, and on the whole, I found that there were some things left to be desired. Technical support is not excellent, and the atmosphere felt very 'forgotten', as there were huge pieces of correspondence that dated back to the '90s. At the end of the day, they got me through all my exams, but based on what other people have told me and my own experiences, if I had to do this all over again ( :eek: ), I would go for Bristol 100%.

It's your life, but for a modular student, I think Bristol are generally accepted as the market leaders in many peoples' eyes based purely on their experience and dedication to providing training in the way they do, i.e. distance learning, and I have a few friends who employed their services and there were no complaints whatsoever, zero, zilch! Says something about the company I'm sure!

Best of luck to you :ok:

edit - Just re-read that, the way it reads 'bias' was unintended, apologies!

njptvr
21st Oct 2009, 15:58
I am currently studying with BGS and cannot recommend them highly enough.

Though I have nothing to compare BGS to as I havent attended any of the other ground schools I can say that the support and materials from BGS has been excellent and the tutors utterly helpful!

RollNow!
21st Oct 2009, 18:01
Thanks for all the posts!

Im a little more in the know now. I thought the BGS responses would be good ive heard good things anyway. As for CATS, has anyone been / studied there?

Just need to factor money into it now but looks like on of those two for sure, thanks all :ok:

RN!

21st Oct 2009, 19:13
Hi

I am with CATS currently and am really pleased with support I have received.

So far am on a 95% pass rate average, I know people who did BGS and they have given great feedback also so to be honest its a choice of if you want the flexibility of 3 sittings and 3 1 week GS' or 2 sittings and 2 2 week GS'. The flexibility was the deciding factor for me as it would have been difficult to get long periods off.

Which ever one you decide will be OK you just have to put in the hours.

Best of luck with exams :-)

Texas tornado
9th Nov 2009, 21:29
I would say both schools are excellent and offer the same but Cats at £995 for an online course is pretty good value if money is tight.