PDA

View Full Version : Vale - Phil Astley

trashie
21st Oct 2009, 03:24
We lost one of the good guys today

From CASA SCC forum

Phil Astley passed away peacefully last night after a long battle with illness. Phil spent the last three months of his life in hospital, where he was visited by colleagues, including the Director of Aviation Safety John McCormick.

Following a long and distinguished career as a pilot in the Royal Australian Air Force (where incidentally, as a wing commander, he was Greg Hood's boss in the Sinai Peace Keeping Force), Phil started with CASA in April 2001 in Flight Crew Licensing as a project officer.

Phil worked tirelessly on developing the competency standards and related training documents that saw Australia lead the world in implementing competency based training systems into flight crew licensing. He was also an active person handling inquiries and solving licensing problems on a day to day basis.

Some of Phil's major achievements included significant contributions to the Day VFR syllabus, the flight crew licensing Manual of Standards which covers the full suite of pilot qualifications from licences at all levels, ratings and endorsements, and for the full range of aircraft categories including helicopters, aeroplanes, gyroplanes and balloons. This is a major achievement in itself and has been referenced by regulators and trainers around the globe.

More recently, Phil had been the author of several significant Civil Aviation Advisory Publications on multi engine aeroplane training, single pilot human factors and threat and error management for general aviation training, night VFR operations, and aerobatics. Phil had also started a new CAAP on flying instructor rating training; a topic he has always been passionate about. Unfortunately, he was not able to complete the job but we will finish it off as a tribute to Phil's work.

While he seemed to be a laid back person, Phil was always passionate about training and standards. He engaged everyone on equal terms and that is why he was able to achieve agreement on the publications he produced; he worked with colleagues and a cross-section of industry members. Phil never stood on ceremony but quietly went about his business. His tenacity to keep pressing on and resilience to diversions are evident in his achievements.

Phil played an important role in significant developments in flight crew licensing and improving flight safety through enhancements to standards. He was always a proponent of education and training and will be remembered as a valuable servant of the country.

For his immediate work colleagues, Phil will be remembered as a friend and a person who always wanted to help and assist regardless of the issue at hand. And he applied that to whomever he was interacting with.

Phil was a legend - a life well lived and always with the interests of aviation safety at heart.

Dangly Bits
21st Oct 2009, 03:30
We lost another one of the good guys.

RIP mate.

DB

djpil
21st Oct 2009, 10:45
Worked with him on one of the CAAPs but never met him face to face. Definitely one of the good guys.
Some time ago I came across an old magazine with a photo of Phil and Noel Kruse with a Tiger Moth at Moorabbin.

triadic
21st Oct 2009, 12:25
Knew him post the RAAF when he was instructing at MB. Yes, one of the good guys who did far more than he had to.... he will be remembered.

RIP Phil

Brian Abraham
22nd Oct 2009, 03:34
Received through RAAF links.

Phil is survived by his daughter Joanne (Jo) and son James (Jamie) who, together, have invited close friends and colleagues who knew him to celebrate his life at a wake to be held at the Kamberra Winery, Northbourne Ave, Watson on Monday 02 Nov at 2pm.

Attendees are invited to take along photos, war stories and any other memorabilia where (short) speeches can be made from about 3pm.

BULLDOG 248
22nd Oct 2009, 05:17
Phil-5......Bulldog-0......You never said I was wrong. But would get me to go in another direction to get my answer. Of the questions you asked me...I wish I could do the same to you. But I couldn't.

RIP Phil.

Roller Merlin
22nd Oct 2009, 11:20
Phil was the great quiet achiever of CASA. He single-handedly drove the development of all the competency standards for a range of flying licences and ratings when few others knew how or cared, and has probably contributed more towards the future of basic flying standards and training in this country than any of his peirs. I had many dealings with him over the years in his work to set measurable standards in aviation, and he was every bit the gentleman that has been said so far in this forum, very considerate to all, professional, friendly, genuine and was a real asset as a CASA rep. I will miss him. Gone to a better place now.

RM

dogcharlietree
22nd Oct 2009, 19:47
A sad loss to the industry. A gentleman and an aviator.
RIP Phil.

maxwt
23rd Oct 2009, 23:17
Phil was certainly a gentleman, a good leader and a terrific pilot. RIP.