PDA

View Full Version : IMC rating - which book ?

742-xx
20th Oct 2009, 23:22
I'm looking into the idea of doing an IMC rating and was wondering if anybody could recomend a suitable book ?
I just want to read about exactly what is required/expected/involved etc.......

Many thanks.

Black Prince
21st Oct 2009, 09:20
Book No.5 of the 'Air Pilot's Manuals' - "Radio Navigation & Instrument Flying" is a good one.

tdbristol
21st Oct 2009, 09:23
I would also recommend the Oxford Aviation IMC rating DVD, which I found helpful when I did the IMCr

TractorBoy
21st Oct 2009, 09:50
I used the grey book in the Trevor Thom series on Instrument Flying. For exam prep I bought the IMC Confuser by the same guy who did the PPL Confuser - well worth the money. :ok:

BTW - I don't know if the exam has been updated, but when I took it it was still referring to FIS, RIS, RAS although Basic Service etc had already been introduced.

Quarto
22nd Oct 2009, 11:01
The only book I bought was the IMC Confuser. This helped for the exam.
My Instructor gave me a decent set of notes which helped. Ask your intsructor for if they have anything available or google and you may find some notes online. You will then be able to ask your instructor if it is suitable.
I should also add that I did occasionally dip into my ATPL notes to clarify a few things but I guess I could have used google for that.

IO540
22nd Oct 2009, 11:48
I think there are two very distinct requirements.

To pass the exam, you need the IMC Confuser.

To learn about safe IFR flight, you need an instructor who has an IR and flies for real (not many of them about).

I had the Trevor Thom book (book #5 I think) and it was poor; seemingly written by different people with disjointed bits stuck together. And almost nobody flies IFR for real using the old navaids; they are used for backup but primary nav is done with a decent GPS. I think the American IR books are much better.

tmmorris
22nd Oct 2009, 19:05
'VOR, ADF and RMI'. The book which enabled me finally to understand NDB tracking with an ADF.

Probably an obsolete skill in these days of GPS approaches, but if you can do a good NDB approach with an ADF, most other things are child's play!

T

DBisDogOne
25th Oct 2009, 14:38
TT Volume 5 (like most people!) - I thought it was OK & did the job for me.
IMC confuser - essential
For both, check out Amazon before going to a pilot shop - usually a fair bit cheaper.

Also, not essential but useful, got from ebay for -I think - £35 the OAT IMC DVD, it was much better than I though it'd be having not used OAT material before.

From the same seller I scored the Night Qualfn DVD too for under £15 even though I've already done it. Again, was also very good & useful for brushing up.

Definately check out ebay for the DVD's as they can be well under half retail price but be warned, each one usually is being chased by several people so keep an eye on it.