PDA

View Full Version : A380s interfere with "radios"???

stepwilk
20th Oct 2009, 13:43
From this morning's (10/20/09) New York Times, in an article about the planned expansion of the international terminal at LAX:

"...air traffic controllers have had to choreograph airport operations around the [A380s], at times delaying other flights to keep the doubler-decker crafts [sic] from idling and disrupting airport radio signals."

Huh?

Broomstick Flier
20th Oct 2009, 14:02
ILS protection zones, perhaps?

saman
20th Oct 2009, 14:26
NIH, perhaps?

stepwilk
21st Oct 2009, 02:46
Okay, that makes sense.

ChristiaanJ
21st Oct 2009, 15:18
Question from a "techie", not flight crew.

The map is KATL (Atlanta) from a totally unrelated thread

http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n385/motidog/KATL-27L27R.jpg

Are the 'ILS HOLD' markings on that map related to this story?
I.e., are they points you have to hold at on the taxyway so as not to cause interference with the ILS?

I can well understand, that something like the Hippo with its bigger RCS (radar cross section, or radio cross section if you want to be finicky), especially side-on, could cause some unforeseen problems...

CJ

STBYRUD
21st Oct 2009, 15:22
Thats precisely what they're for - usually there are holding points further away from the runway marked as "CAT II/III" for just that operation, when the weather requires Cat 2 and 3 operations these will be used instead of the standard holding points.

ChristiaanJ
21st Oct 2009, 15:34
Thanks, STBYRUD !
That also explains the "CATII/III" signage seen along taxyways when travelling as SLF, which I never properly thought about.....
Never too old to learn :ok:

CJ

STBYRUD
24th Oct 2009, 07:23
Well, it received its own ICAO Wake turbulence (its not really a weight class since the 757 anymore) class - Superheavy, with a minimum separation to another S craft of 4NM, extending to 8NM for L aircraft... I guess that says it all.