PDA

View Full Version : .Img file

Sprogget
19th Oct 2009, 19:35
I have a .img file that i can neither burn nor extract & it's driving me crazy. So far, I have tried windows, Nero, Magic & ultra iso, Daemon tools to mount it & extract this to try & get the data off it. The file is ony 7.8mb & it's presented as a .img - I'm stuck with the format. It's possible that it's corrupted, but I don't think so.

Anything I'm missing? The file is data, not audio or video.

rgbrock1
19th Oct 2009, 19:37
Isn't an .img file a Mac-centric file? If so, and you don't have a Mac, it's basically useless for all other operating systems.

Sprogget
19th Oct 2009, 19:51
Yeah, that's true, but I understand that I should be able to convert it to an iso & go from there? You're right that I'm getting unkown format errors.

rgbrock1
19th Oct 2009, 19:53
I know of no software which will convert an .img file to an .iso. And unless the file you are trying to convert from .img will eventually find its way to a Mac, there is nothing in it for you anyway.

Sprogget
19th Oct 2009, 20:03
Hmm, found one called winimage, but still no joy. Buggah.

rgbrock1
19th Oct 2009, 20:08
Sprogget:

I gave you the wrong poop! (Must be my advancing age.)
The Mac-centric files are .dmg files. not .img.
There are several software packages which will convert .img files to .iso but you've referenced most of them.
Have you tried changing the file extension from .img to .iso and see what happens.
Also, when using MagicISO did you ensure the "Standard ISO Image file (.ISO)" was selected at the output format?

If this file was ftp'd I hope it was done so using binary and not ascii!!!

Sprogget
19th Oct 2009, 20:22
Ok, I found a freeware converter that works. Now I have extracted the data & it can drop into my app. All done - thanks for the help.:ok:

bnt
19th Oct 2009, 21:55
I was going to point at this page (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromImgFiles): since the version of Ubuntu I'm using (Netbook Remix) is supplied as an IMG file, I could use their utility to extract it directly to a USB key and install from there. (My Netbook has no CD/DVD drive at all.)