PDA

View Full Version : Requesting upgrades

YHZChick
19th Oct 2009, 18:19
This might be the wrong forum (apologies if it is) given my question relates to requesting upgrades at check in.

How common is it among dignitaries to book economy, yet request and expect to be upgraded to business class at the gate?

I understand that taxpayers don't want to foot the bill for business class travel, but it seems unreasonable to me to expect to be upgraded when you didn't purchase that class fare.

Overhearing a conversation at my office regarding some upcoming airtravel that my (big) boss, and (not so) big boss will be doing this weekend. He's been instructed on check-in to request an upgrade for both of them, and if he has any issues to be firm about the fact that "in XXX city they always oblige, so what's the problem here".

Is this pretty standard in the industry? Why would the airlines accomodate this request, particularly when we're talking government officials who have the budgets to book business class, yet don't want the optics of doing so.

frontcheck
19th Oct 2009, 19:11
This type of "blackmail" is used every day at check-in, you hear the same thing
ABC airlines always allow me access to their lounge
DEF airlines never charge me for xs baggage
GHI airlines always through check me on a seperate ticket
JKL airlines always let me change restricted fares free of charge
etc etc etc.,
Upgrades usually happen in overbooked situations and even then it is in a controlled way starting with own airline frequent flyer golds then silver, followed by alliance carriers golds etc.
If he asks for an upgrade at check-in using the phrase you quoted I would sit him in a middle seat in last row of Y
LOL :=:D LOL

YHZChick
19th Oct 2009, 19:16
I remember reading here somewhere that members of the Royal family fly economy and are upgraded by the airline.

This is the kind of thing I'm talking about, as opposed to nobodies like me.

Still, of anyone, they are the ones who can most afford to pay the business class fare to begin with.

ZFT
19th Oct 2009, 22:45
Interestingly I’ve only twice seen upgrades demanded. Once in Brussels by an MEP and once at Gatwick by an MP (both identified themselves as such).
A bit rich as I’m sure they both claim for business class fares anyway.
Both were upgraded BTW!!

CornishFlyer
20th Oct 2009, 07:41
Prince William and his girlfriend always book economy or premium economy but always turn down the offer of an upgrade and prefer to keep things low key. Rather refreshing I think

Wannabe Flyer
20th Oct 2009, 08:02
I fly a lot. I pay my own way and scour the net for the best rate. This means my loyalty factor to most airlines is low, but even I have my standards (read comfort zone) and is usually spread out amongst 3 airlines in domestic and about the same number internationally. Therefore I have a Star alliance and a sky team and a Jet airways card as well as Kingfisher card. Sky team and KF are both Gold level currently

I am sure my tickets are always booked in the cheapest class of travel as i ensure advanced planning.

I have never ever been upgraded in my life ever!!!!!!!!!!!! this is after 20 years of regular travel (upto 3 times a month domestic and at least 4 trips international).

I smile at check in, have never really made much noise and take what gets doled out. Whenever requested to pay for excess baggage I do (though i must say most let me off lightly especially when traveling with the entire family).

I have the frequent flyer cards of most alliances. I have never redeemed miles as each time I try there is some blackout in place so in one of my FF accounts I have over 600,000 miles (surely this shows on check in, including that i have always earned it on the cheapest class of travel ever).

So why am I never upgraded ever? Am i doing something wrong.

PS: In case anyone from Jet is here I am flying tommorrow night DEL HKG...........If you can please :) .............make my night!

CallBell
20th Oct 2009, 13:12
This means my loyalty factor to most airlines is low

I think you have answered your own question. Perhaps if you had stayed loyal to one airline or one alliance your chances of upgrade would be higher. Added to that the fact that you scour the net for the best rate would also mean less chance of an upgrade as an airline would upgrade full Y fares ahead of lower ones.

Of course staying loyal to one airline or alliance would have cost you more in the long run, in which case any upgrade you may have gotten would have been "paid" in higher fares throughout your travels.

strake
20th Oct 2009, 18:21
I think a demand for an upgrade would be met with the derision it deserves. Asking nicely for one might work if the loadings were right for you on the day but more likely is an automatic upgrade for a premium card holder.
Having said that, I recently flew back from the States in First on BA. There were five free seats and later I noticed Club was full so upgrades did not seem to have been offered. However, given the standard of First these days, it may have been because BA did not want to embarass itself by having someone refuse to leave Club to go into First:ooh:
But that's another story....

Final 3 Greens
20th Oct 2009, 18:32
it may have been because BA did not want to embarass itself by having someone refuse to leave Club to go into First

Haven't been in BA first for quite a while; are things so bad?

I'll be doing a club world on Friday, once again the first for a while, I'll be interested to see how it stacks with my memories.

CallBell
20th Oct 2009, 18:36
There may have been upgrades from Club to First that you didnt know about. A full Club World cabin doesnt mean there were no upgrades, just enough to leave CW full.

strake
20th Oct 2009, 21:26
F3G
I'll be doing a club world on Friday, once again the first for a while, I'll be interested to see how it stacks with my memories.

Sorry to thread drift...New Club seating and AV is excellent. Vittals ain't what they used to be but then they aren't on any airline these days...

I was shocked with First. Way out wasn't too bad because the a/c was quite modern. On the way back it was an older 777 with the 12 channel entertainment system and the tiny screen. If your last First (!) experience was mid-nineties then you would be sorely disappointed. Food, wine and the special ambience that was always there has just gone. Cheap little menus with truly the worst food I have ever tasted on an aeroplane, in any class. To be honest, unless BA do something, First is going to go the way of American domestic First Class...just a points upgrade cabin.

Wannabe Flyer
21st Oct 2009, 06:24
Hey Callbell

Not fair. I have gold status on 2 so it does not mean I am that disloyal. However if the airlines post good fares and I plan in advance that should not be a reason to not pamper me once in a while.

Maybe it is an IT issue. Check in should show entire travel history of person on screen at a click and empower check in person to give upgrades.

Anyways will try tonight again with a nice smile. Hopefully get that sleeper for a change :ok:

PAXboy
21st Oct 2009, 10:17
Wannabe... empower check in person ...In many discussions in PPRUNE, we have heard how all airline staff (ground/air) have had flexibility reduced in the last 15 years. This is to save money. If staff are empowered to make changes to routine for the benefit of customers, just think how much they would give away? So this is not going to happen.

The big days of complimentary upgrades are long gone and I find it amusing to hear/watch other people ask for it at check-in or even, last month, on board. I was in a full BA WT+ cabin and CW was only half full. The bloke behind me asked for an upgrade. I think that the relatively short period of upgrades (no more than 15 years start to finish?) has stuck with many people as being 'normal'.

MathFox
21st Oct 2009, 16:07
I have had a few upgrades, but for the passenger it is hard to tell whether the upgrade is complimentary or operational. One upgrade was for politely waiting in the "premium member" lane while the check-in agent was handling a family with cardboard boxes... a few other times I received an upgrade without apparent reason, never asked for it! ;)

Can I assume that Airline employees have some discretion in handing out operational upgrades?

CallBell
21st Oct 2009, 16:55
However if the airlines post good fares and I plan in advance that should not be a reason to not pamper me once in a while.

But airlines won't upgrade anyone now without reason. And even if they did, they are much more likely to upgrade a "gold" who has paid last minute full Y fare if they need to for operational reasons, rather than a gold who has paid a heavily discounted fare. Some airlines might even upgrade a non-status Full Y ticketholder ahead of their "gold" discount Y traveller.

At the end of the day, it will be for operational reasons only ( overselling or change of aircraft), and the days of upgrading as a way of "thank you" seem to be well and truly gone.

HKPAX
22nd Oct 2009, 13:38
Worth presenting the frequent flyer card of a different airline at check-in and asking nonchalantly "do I get any miles for this?". (Theory being they will fall over trying to get you to try THEIR service). Did this with CX gold card at Orlando on BA flight to Gatport Airwick and wad upgraded to 1st. Mind you that was a few years ago.

Ancient Observer
22nd Oct 2009, 15:49
Different airlines, and different airports, have varying social/cultural assumptions.
For instance, Qantas staff focus on giving Qantas staff the upgrades. Pax can get lost. BA staff focus on OpUps., not freebies, and USA staff are focussed on getting money from pax for upgrades.
Then, you'll find that the practice varies between locations. What works in Sin doesn't necessarily work in Hkg.

barry lloyd
22nd Oct 2009, 16:24
This obsession with airline upgrading never ceases to amaze me.
Would you go into your local car showroom, pay out for a basic Ford and expect (or ask for) a fully-specced Audi?
Would you expect your local supermarket to allow you to go and take 50% more off the the shelves for nothing when you reach check-out, just because you've chosen to shop with them?
I will agree that the airlines made it worse for themselves when they started upgrading many years ago to cope with overbookings, but pax still think it's the norm, and no, in most cases the hapless check-in person has no control over it whatsoever. The world today is run by bean counters, and as others have correctly pointed out the standard pecking order for upgrading is gold, silver loyalty card, price paid for ticket, etc.
Don't forget too, that there's an issue with meals. Airlines pay caterers ridiculous amounts of money for food, which is why so much of it is no longer available on shorter flights. Therefore, ordering say 7or8 more Business (or First Class) meals for each flight and then not using them is simply wasting a lot of money. Equally if people are upgraded, they expect an upgraded meal and accompaniments; therefore if there are no meals, there are no upgrades -simples.
If you're that keen to know what's it's like to turn left at the entry door, pay for it! Otherwise be content with what you've paid for.

YHZChick
22nd Oct 2009, 16:53
Just to be clear--I'm not personally asking for an upgrade. I've been upgraded twice in my life. Once because the connection was missed to to a flight delay and they had to jam us all in to the next one. Me and 1 other guy were the last to make the gate, and me and the other guy were upgraded, and once because a friend arranged it (he was the manager for the airline at the airport we were departing from).

My question would relate more to dignataries--say, royalty, heads of state, judges, or whatever. They book economy, but expect and ask for upgrades.

I would expect airlines to tell average joes like me to GFY if I requested an upgrade. I just wonder why they don't do it for the above as well.

barry lloyd
22nd Oct 2009, 18:04
Fair enough, but the subject comes up very frequently on these boards, and is also media-driven, at least on this side of the Atlantic.
I would never upgrade anyone just because of their position. I believe most heads of state would travel at the front anyway, not least for security reasons. Members of Parliament in the UK generally travel in Business anyway, certainly on long-haul. I agree they're hard-faced enough to ask - they wouldn't get to be MPs otherwise!
There are sometimes comments by a PNR which may include SFU - suitable for upgrade. This is a subtle way of saying that, all other things being equal, they should be upgraded. There may be many reasons for this though.

Anansis
22nd Oct 2009, 20:06
There are sometimes comments by a PNR which may include SFU - suitable for upgrade.

There may be many reasons for this though.

Do you know what sort of reasons they might be?

I've had a few upgrades in my time, mostly when I have been on a higher tier of a frequent flyer scheme and the flight has been pretty busy. I do remember flying QR from LGW-HKG via DOH once. A management looking type was going up to smartly dressed people in the check in queue and asking to see their frequent flyer details (if any), presumably to upgrade the right person. Unfortunately I never got asked (though I did get upgraded from DOH-HKG).

I dont expect an upgrade when I fly but it would be interesting to know how airlines decide who to give them to when they have to...

bealine
22nd Oct 2009, 21:05
Just for the record, at British Airways the comment SFU is usually deleted or ignored altogether. If operational upgrades are required, there are usually sufficient BA Gold or Silver cardholders or One World Alliance Emerald/Sapphires to make the required numbers.

On selected flights, an upgrade from WT to WT+ may be purchased, but now that the recession seems to be over, we are finding that we need to offer this on fewer flights.

Prince William and his girlfriend always book economy or premium economy but always turn down the offer of an upgrade and prefer to keep things low key. Rather refreshing I thinkI think Royal Protocol would consider it bad form for Prince William to accept an upgrade. As far as I am aware, members of the Royal Family always pay the properly negotiated fare with British Airways (which may or may not be discounted due to the immeasurable goodwill, publicity and tickets sales Her Majesty - God Bless Her - and her family generate for the airline on her State visits.)

As a serving soldier, I was on a number of occasions very close to members of the Royal Family while they conducted business. Of one thing I can absolutely testify - they would never take advantage of their elevated status to gain advantageous discounts or gifts. It quite simply isn't done!

Of course, as well as protecting the Royal Code of Conduct, doing the decent thing also means the gutter press have no nasty stories about tantrums being thrown by a demented diva princess being refused an upgrade, or jumping up and down screaming "Do You Know Who I Am?" Even when things go horribly wrong, most members of the Royal Family will behave with absolute charm and dignity.

For anyone who supports the anti-monarchy brigade, working closely with these lovely people will alter one's opinion.

It is the so-called and self-styled "Celebrity" - the scourge of modern life - that is most likely to buy the cheapest, non-flexible economy ticket and demand that all the stops are pulled out!

barry lloyd
22nd Oct 2009, 21:30
Quote:
There are sometimes comments by a PNR which may include SFU - suitable for upgrade.

There may be many reasons for this though.

Do you know what sort of reasons they might be?

I've had a few upgrades in my time, mostly when I have been on a higher tier of a frequent flyer scheme and the flight has been pretty busy. I do remember flying QR from LGW-HKG via DOH once. A management looking type was going up to smartly dressed people in the check in queue and asking to see their frequent flyer details (if any), presumably to upgrade the right person. Unfortunately I never got asked (though I did get upgraded from DOH-HKG).

I dont expect an upgrade when I fly but it would be interesting to know how airlines decide who to give them to when they have to...

Well, it would take a lot of forum space to go into it in detail, and in some cases it may be commercially confidential, but basically those at the front of the queue in terms of upgrades are, as bealine says, those with the shiniest cards. If there are not enough, and upgrades are necessary because Y is overbooked, the reservations people would normally (but not exclusively) look at the fare basis. Another case might be where a booking was made by agency with whom the airline has a close relationship, i.e. they supply a lot of pax.
To summarise, it can be a lottery, because no two flights are the same, as shown by your experience LGW-DOH-HKG. Hope this helps.

parabellum
23rd Oct 2009, 00:48
Equally if people are upgraded, they expect an upgraded meal and accompaniments; therefore if there are no meals, there are no upgrades -simples.

One large company I worked for said that if you got upgraded you got the seat but no guarantee regarding meals, also, always turn up smartly dressed at staff travel, don't over imbibe and unless the commercial passenger initiates it don't try to start conversations. Their policy was to upgrade staff, where possible should upgrades be required, as no additional catering uplift was required and there is nothing worse than an upgraded commercial passenger sitting next to a bona fide J or F class passenger and regaling them about how much they paid for their Y/J seat and still finished up in the premium section! Sometimes it is better to leave the seats empty and pay any over booking fees thus maintaining the quality of the premium product.

herman the crab
23rd Oct 2009, 01:04
I am on VS23 on Sunday and DEMAND that I be moved up to First Class! Can't be doing with all that economy nightmare.

I am rich but I am too tight to pay for a proper ticket so I will willing sleep with any of the female crew to pay for the upgrade, (after all most of the Virgin crew are hot so the chance of a minger is pretty slim!), and I mean it's the only chance you trolley dollies have of bedding a stud like me and if you are really nice to me I ll even let you call me Mr. X instead of Sir.

Oh and I ll try not to embarass you by telling everyone I only paid £450 to be there as opposed to the £2k they paid. I'll not shout too much when I don't get served first or my tea is a bit stewed.

I trust I can watch some hardcore BDSM movies on my laptop whilst sipping the complimentary champers?

HTC

YES I POST IN JEST!!!! :):):)

racedo
23rd Oct 2009, 08:20
Sometimes it is better to leave the seats empty and pay any over booking fees thus maintaining the quality of the premium product.

I agree as a premium product should be aspirational not common as muck.Sadly some of those who pay to fly premium can devalue the whole product i.e when Wayne and Waynetta Chav do it and pee off the rest of the passengers it just damages the product.

IamPAX
23rd Oct 2009, 08:46
I've heard a rumour that on most (American) airlines, you can always ask the stewardess for a free upgrade to businessclass seats (if available) on transatlantic flights, since they don't mind where you sit once you're in the air.

Is this true or just a wild fantasy? ;)

Power-Attitude-Trim
23rd Oct 2009, 08:57
Prince William and his girlfriend always book economy or premium economy but always turn down the offer of an upgrade and prefer to keep things low key. Rather refreshing I think

Flew Tony & Cherie Blair a few years ago and they did the same.

MathFox
23rd Oct 2009, 09:01
I've heard a rumour that on most (American) airliners, you can always ask the stewardess for a free upgrade to businessclass seats (if available) on transatlantic flights, since they don't mind where you sit once you're in the air.

I do believe the "you can ask" part, but I have never seen someone get it. Upgrades are handled by the gate agent. United shows "priority lists" for upgrades for people that pay with miles or upgrade vouchers on many flights.
If you're willing to draw your credit card, paid upgrades are pretty easy to get.

Malone
23rd Oct 2009, 09:37
I once had a chat with a Virgin Captain and he said that BA actually do a fairly good job of "protecting" their premium classes whereas Virgin seem to upgrade everybody. I don't know how true this is but it does make commercial sense. If I knew that there was a realistic chance of a complimentary upgrade, why would I buy a premium ticket?
With regards to the meals, I understand that BA will not upgrade if there is no meal unless it really is an unforeseen situation.

GwynM
23rd Oct 2009, 10:06
Years ago (probably 1997) I got peed off with Gulf Air in Business because they gave all the freebies / toiletries bags to their staff in Business, and didn't have enough left to go around the male passengers, so I was left with a pink bag (which I gave to my gf when I got back). After a bit of whinging I got a few leftovers in a plastic bag which shut me up. It was only the 4th time I'd flown business, so I was expecting better.

bealine
23rd Oct 2009, 10:14
I've heard a rumour that on most (American) airliners, you can always ask the stewardess for a free upgrade to businessclass seats (if available) on transatlantic flights, since they don't mind where you sit once you're in the air.

Is this true or just a wild fantasy? http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gif

Dream on!

On Continental, the dividing curtains between Business First and Coach are firmly closed once airborne and woe betide a coach passenger if he/she dares to try to use one of the BF toilets!

There was a hoo-hah a few years ago where a couple of Continental Flight Attendants were sacked for seating friends on "Buddy" tickets in the BF cabin after take-off (one of CO's Board members just happened to be on the flight, incognito,) So now, unless you have a paid for BF seat, or you are a bona fide upgrade holding a BF boarding pass, it's not going to happen.

For a while, I think American Airlines (like British Airways) used to upgrade on board for a small fee taken by the senior crew member (BA was £250 from Economy to Club) but that has been stopped. American Airlines might still offer an upgrade for a fee at check-in if the Business Class cabin is pretty empty - not sure though.

The pricing of the premium cabins has reduced with the recession so empty premium cabins are becoming less likely.

L'aviateur
23rd Oct 2009, 22:18
I also fly around 70-80 sectors a year and was last upgraded about 3 years ago on a US Airways transatlantic flight. Occasionally fly business, but normally fly on the cheapest tickets and with different airlines so only have silver status with KLM.
To be honest, I don't really care which airline I fly with or what class, and certainly wouldn't pay for business out of my own pocket. A lie flat bed can be nice, but I never sleep anyway, don't really want to eat onboard and can't be bothered with the inflight entertainment.
I do appreciate easy transfers and quick boarding which I get with my KLM silver card anyway.

Final 3 Greens
24th Oct 2009, 12:52
I took my BA new club world last night and agree with Strake that the seat is excellent, a big improvement on old club world, which was very good; I did not try the AV, as I slept for 4.5 hours out of a 6 hour flight.

That allowed me to go to my hotel, check in, shower, take breakfast and then work a full day.

I also see where Strake is coming from on First, which looked frankly tatty as we deplaned.

strake
24th Oct 2009, 13:19
That allowed me to go to my hotel, check in, shower, take breakfast and then work a full day.

If you have time on the way back (I'm presuming you're on the outbound leg) then the Arrivals lounge is the one oasis of excellence left both within British Airways and T5. Really worth a visit. On First/Gold, the Concorde Room for breakfast is almost the way travelling used to be but Terraces/Showers etc is also V.Good.

alcockell
24th Oct 2009, 14:10
Umm - what is the usual differential now between standard and Club.. etc flights?

Bearing in mind that the only time I've flown was as a child with my parents...

renfrew
24th Oct 2009, 14:48
Night and Day.

BA Club World for example is very nice,probably better than First Class of 30 years ago.

Final 3 Greens
25th Oct 2009, 10:42
Strake

the Arrivals lounge is the one oasis of excellence left both within British Airways and T5

Thanks for the tip, I have an 'awkward hour' before I can check in to my hotel on arrivel, so this will be a good opportunity to experience the arrivals lounge.

Believe it or not, I'm coming back to London to do some work on Wednesday and am then returning to the same city in the middle east early Thursday morning, this time with Swiss (as I was concerned about the chances of a BA strike when I booked this journey.)

Final 3 Greens
27th Oct 2009, 22:23
Well today was a bit of a letdown.

The actual lunch food on the aircraft was not per the menu (e.g. a salmon salad on a flight nearly 7 hours long, the chicken curry that I had chosen was not available, nor the steak) and there was nothing I fancied, but as I had a decent breakfast, thought I would wait and eat in the arrivals lounge, which was advertised as being open until 2pm, with food available.

When I got there at 1255, the 'food' was a selection of fruit, a couple (literally) tired looking cold cuts of meat, 5-6 pieces of cheese and a random selection of a few bread rolls; hot food apparently stops at 1230.

I called the duty manager, who said she was surprised, but then came back to say that this was normal. The catering manager did offer to make me some scrambled eggs, but I was so disillusioned by this time that I thanked her (for I appreciated the offer), left the lounge and then went to M&S Simply Food downstairs for a decent sandwich, leaving my silver card with the duty manager along with a request to close down my executive club membership.

That's it for me with BA, I've used up most of my miles and will stick to Star Alliance in the future, should be able to reach senator level soon.

No single event has brought me to this place, just a series of small niggles and service reductions since the Gate Gourmet problem that have cumulatively persuaded me that BA is no longer near the top of the list and that I can manage without their services (for there is no sense in cutting off your nose.....)

strake
28th Oct 2009, 07:31
When I got there at 1255, the 'food' was a selection of fruit, a couple (literally) tired looking cold cuts of meat, 5-6 pieces of cheese and a random selection of a few bread rolls; hot food apparently stops at 1230.

I would think that at midday, the lounge looks a bit bereft as the main idea is to service the early Asian and transatlantic flights where you have tried to sleep through the flight and breakfast so you arrive "crumpled and hungry". If I arrived later in the day, I think I'd just want to get out of T5 and go home. However, if they advertise a 2pm closing time then they should indeed provide the service until then.

bealine
28th Oct 2009, 07:47
My personal view is that the Arrivals Lounge should be open until the evening "rush hour" is almost over so that it's not too inconvenient if one's 'meeter and greeter' is delayed by traffic.

I was surprised that the opening hours weren't extended once we had settled into T5 as there are still quite a few long haul flights arriving in the afternoon and evening. The respomse I have had from our managers, when I have asked the question, is that the idea behind the arrivals lounge is to cater for people to freshen up and enjoy breakfast before being whisked into their London offices to do a day's work.

However, regardless of what time the lounge closes, there has to be a wind down period of an hour and a half to allow the cooking areas to be cleaned ready for the next morning at 05.00. At the moment, if we close at 2pm then from 12.30 onwards we're in wind-down mode. Please bear in mind that the advertised closure time is when the doors are locked and the staff vacate the premises.

Final 3 Greens
28th Oct 2009, 08:29
Bealine

Please bear in mind that the advertised closure time is when the doors are locked and the staff vacate the premises.

I understand what you are saying, but in that case it should be made clear on the website.

I don't know what BA doesn't tell me.

Anyway, it won't be a problem in the future.

Strake

I guess many people would go straight home, I would do if I lived in the UK.

As I had a 2pm check in time at a hotel (I live in the South Med), I thought I would use the lounge to kill an hour and have a lunch.

flash8
29th Oct 2009, 11:11
On a few South East Asian Airlines one would try and bribe an upgrade immediately at check-in... this usually works with a $100 bill being the universal "ticket" required.

Failing that (very rarely and only if the staff were paranoid about being spotted) an in-flight "upgrade" (again at the magic $100) negotiated with the purser does the trick 100% of the time.

At one stage I did this so often I didn't even bother to book Business.

They also treated you damn fine after that :)

10bob
29th Oct 2009, 12:36
My personal experience is that gold frequent flyer status counts for nothing when it comes to upgrades. Indeed, it seems to be gold status is a disadvantage.

I am Gold with both BA and Star Alliance (Diamond Club). I have flown business class long haul return at least twice a month with either BA, BMI or Lufthansa since January and not been fortunate to be upgraded once. However, colleagues travelling on the same flights as me, and having paid the same fare, but with only Blue or Silver status were upgraded to FIRST with BA on at least 4 different ocassions already this year.

My frequent flyer status is in the system before I reach the airport and I've even been standing in the check in queue with them, so it is not to do with timing either.

Indeed, I have even been downgraded to economy on one flight with *A (flight overbooked - not happy) and a colleague I was travelling with who had blue status only was kept in business class ahead of me.

It seems more likely that if you are gold, they know you are a regular traveller with them and need to do less to keep you, whereas if you are blue or silver, then perhaps they can do more to entice you to choose them over competitors.

I have no complaints over not being upgraded - business class is more than comfortable. I do have complaints over being downgraded, but the carrier seems unprepared to do much about it other than refund the difference. I won't be flying with them again.

lilflyboy262
30th Oct 2009, 03:54
10bob, then perhaps that is something that you should take up with the airlines?

With Air NZ there is Gold Elite, Gold, Silver and Jade. Then there is also the normal Star Alliance Gold's (never in 2 years heard anything about diamond club.)

Any upgrades happen with Gold Elites first, then Gold etc etc.
Unless they are a VIP with the airline, or a mistreated customer, we do not upgrade them without exceptional circumstances.

80% of airline revenue comes from 20% of its customers. So if your a smart airline, you look after those 20%

....Or if your particularly hot and the ground crew take a liking to you ;)

PAXboy
30th Oct 2009, 04:09
I overheard a request for upgrade at check-in and then heard another (different pax) on board. This was a few years ago on a VS to JNB (I think) when I was in P.E. with them.

The check-in agent tells them: "I'm not authorised to do that, please ask on board."
The cabin crew say, "I'm not authorised to do that, only check-in can do that."
:}

G-ARZG
30th Oct 2009, 22:34
LH Gold got me 3 x upgrades so far this year, 2 x LH, once on LX.
So it does work sometimes, but obviously 'luck of the draw' depending pax loads, nr of other cardholders etc..

10bob
31st Oct 2009, 09:27
then perhaps that is something that you should take up with the airlines?

I certainly took up the downgrade with the airline, but other than a refund they didn't want to know. I fly with someone else now - it involves a change rather than a direct routing but its the principle :rolleyes:

I'm not too bothered about not getting the upgrades with BA. I travel business class most of the time anyway, and collect enough miles to use FIRST for reward flights, so its fun for the more junior team members to get to experience it. But my experience certainly challenges the received wisdom that gold card holders get priority on this sort of thing.

UAU242
9th Dec 2009, 21:13
hi, if there has been a mix up in the reservation system, can someone with an upgradable ticket still be upgraded from economy to business once they're on the flight? it happenned to me yesterday, turned out reservations made an error in the system but it clearly said on my ticket that it was upgradable and i was refused!

Bealzebub
9th Dec 2009, 21:41
I am not sure what you mean by an "upgradeable ticket"?

Potentially any ticket holder can be upgraded if it suits the operational requirements of the airline. There is no overriding statute that prevents any class of ticket holder from travelling in a class other than booked and paid for. That doesn't mean that the airline is required to upgrade you to a class of travel for which you haven't paid, irrespective of the circumstances.

Passengers may be marked suitable for upgrade (SFU) if there are likely to be issues on capacity so that the gate agents can narrow down their selection in such circumstances. Likewise the senior cabin crew member can excerise whatever discretion their own company allows if circumstances require an onboard upgrade.

Obviously the airline makes it best revenues form these premium class seats, and people who have paid top dollar for them will not continue to do so if they perceive that they are regularly given to those who haven't paid for them. As it is a matter of perception it clearly helps if the upgradee is a regular customer of the airline, and certainly is dressed and groomed to suggest that they are being appropriately placed. Having said that, there is no guarantee at all of being upgraded unless it clearly suits the airline or somebody with the authority to make that offer.

Final 3 Greens
10th Dec 2009, 19:38
Beazelbub

I am not sure what you mean by an "upgradeable ticket"?

The OP is talking about fare class, as many airlines (e.g Lufthansa) restrict voluntary upgrades to certain higher tariff classes, e.g. Y and C.

In the US, certain classes are often given upgrades to First Class based on FF status and fare class, subject to airline discretion.

Other airlines, such as OK, openly offer guaranteed upgrades based on FF status, fare class and availability.

TightSlot
10th Dec 2009, 19:59
You may understand the view from your side of the door, but you don't seem to get the pax perspective on occasions.

Perhaps you would be better making such comments in the airline employee fora?

Sorry, F3G, but that really isn't fair. His post was polite and asked a reasonable question that was not clear from the OP. There is, in fact, no such thing as an upgradeable ticket - there are circumstances and contributory factors that make an u/g more or less likely, but a ticket is not "upgradeable" per se: We are all entitled to ask for clarification.

There's an old saying about glass houses and stones - There's been the odd occasion where I've had a minor rumble of mental indigestion when I've read stuff that you have written (this being one). Bealzebub is a valued member of this forum who regularly takes time to provide answers that I know to be factually correct and on the money - In short, as you are, he is a valued contributor to this forum. I'd appreciate that being respected please.

Final 3 Greens
10th Dec 2009, 20:06
Tightslot

Beazelbub recently commented on a thread, to imply that it would be better if I didn't comment on a professional pilot issue and debated the issue in SLF. Fair enough.

On reflection, I agreed with what he said and posted words to that effect on the thread.

I am not showing any disrespect to his professional knowledge (you seem to have deleted my comments ackowledging his grasp of the pilot's world) and just stated that I find it curious that he completely missed what was a pretty obvious thing to someone posting on this forum.

What's fair for the goose is also fair or the gander.

Also, sorry to disagree with you, but the posters question was perfectly clear to a frequent flyer.

Bealzebub
10th Dec 2009, 20:27
Rather churlish of you then F3G. The security thread you are aluding to in Rumours & News was relevant from a crews point of view. Any posts I make on here are usually to assist in providing an answer to a question, or a viewpoint on a topic. I am happy to do that based on a level of experience and knowledge that 30 years in the industry has provided. In addition my wife who is a current Cabin Services Director and trainer with another airline also provides me with both balance and insight into those relevant subjects that require better knowledge on my part. Sometimes that makes for lively discussions. In addition she has previous experience of ground handling, check-in and travel agency including IATA ticketing.

If people feel what I say is wrong they are welcome to challenge, ignore or counter such comment. I have no problem with that. This forum exists as an opportunity for passengers (as a target audience) to make comment, observation or ask questions of those likely to populate a site such as this. Presumably (and unlike some of the self interest sites) those that do ask questions here are looking for qualified, reasoned and professional answers. It is on that basis that I offer those. This isn't a forum looking for a leader (it already has a very qualified and respected one!)

It isn't clear at all why the poster was questioning why a ticket would be upgradeable on board when that request had been refused? Perhaps it was a staff ticket, perhaps there was some other reason. In order to provide an accurate or qualified response that ambiguity required clarification.

intortola
10th Dec 2009, 20:55
On a recent US Airways flight i asked at the gate if they were offering upgrades for sale as i know this is something they do, i was told yes, on checking my ticket the agent informed me my ticket was upgradeable and so it was done at no charge, not sure the reason as i didnt think i purchased a full Y fare on this flight and am not a FF with this airline, it certainly was a bonus!

TightSlot
10th Dec 2009, 22:39
I can feel it coming - one of those 'red mist' moments. I'm off to HKG tomorrow - maybe a few hours work away from PPRuNe will allow me some small realignment of my perspective.

In the meantime, please write out 100 times...

"There is no such thing as an 'upgradeable ticket', There is no such thing as an 'upgradeable ticket', There is no such thing as an 'upgradeable ticket'...."

This phrase may mean something completely different in the dark and secret world of the Frequent Flyer (or FQTV as those of us in the dark and secret world of aviation might say) but unfortunately, for everybody else for whom English is a first language, the meaning is nonsensical. Some people may be upgraded for various reasons, and good luck to them - however it will always be for commercial reasons, not because they have purchased an "upgradeable ticket".

I know that F3G always trys for the last word - Sadistically, I'm going to deprive him of it by closing this thread and getting a good nights sleep before tomorrow.

Other people will be looking in while I'm away - Don't be naughty!