PDA

View Full Version : So What are you supposed to do with it?

Data-Lynx
19th Oct 2009, 17:29
While Cpl Robertson is no doubt to be commended for his winning photograph 'Walking on Air' (http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/PeopleInDefence/TopRafPhotographersWinAwards.htm), I have a simple question as an old helo mate who understands little of this Fast Jet/GR4 business: are you supposed to tuck it in or do you just let it swing?

http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafcms/mediafiles/gallery/4E9E12C9_5056_A318_A806432A13F18BBB/PR-Photo-of-the-Year---Walking-On-Air.jpg

Incidentally, nice advert for shades!

Cows getting bigger
19th Oct 2009, 17:56
Those that have...........

Stuff
19th Oct 2009, 18:06
The lady needs to go and see the squippers to get her g-pants tightened ASAP. Tucking it in stops it banging on your knee so that's got the be the way to go.

There's also a suspicious lack of sweat patches on their coveralls... or was it just me that used to get out of the cockpit looking like a used shammy?

Edit: Just noticed the depths of the cutbacks. Seems we can't afford steps anymore either!

BOAC
19th Oct 2009, 18:07
Are 'modern' pilots all wearing the suits outside? We were told the effectiveness was reduced that way.

PS I think girls like it to swing, but I think her g -err- suit has slipped a tad.

gashman
19th Oct 2009, 18:25
No goon bags required in these climes so yep, g suits on the outside is the only option. The newer bags out there are very thin though so outside g-suits are likely to be the norm.

Wrathmonk
19th Oct 2009, 18:28
BOAC

For the GR boys the 'innie' doesn't exist as standard issue anymore, even when wearing a goon suit. Besides, its not like you really need one anyway (other than to carry your books etc!) on the good old g-restricted Tonka;)

Two's in
19th Oct 2009, 20:29
Well if the advertising world ever needs models for male pattern baldness or Breitling's new "big watches for women" this is definitely the picture.

BOAC
19th Oct 2009, 21:02
Thanks for the update, guys, and the re-assurance on the Tonka:) Do you actually even bother to plug them in?

I reckon they'd have 'slipped off' though a few steps later, don't you think?

Gainesy
20th Oct 2009, 10:59
Quite honestly I can't see anything about that picture that says "Winner". Quite dull really.
Some of the other entries, including other work by Cpl Robertson, are much better.

I suppose its in the eye of the beholder?

sisemen
20th Oct 2009, 11:08
Ah c'mon people - at least they're in step :ok: (but probably been practising for weeks)

The Real Slim Shady
20th Oct 2009, 11:13
...and there is probably a daft answer, but......

The jet is in grey cam.

The flying suits are desert sand.

The boots are desert sand.

Everything else is olive drab.

Pourquoi?

Was it sales at T.K. Mill?

Asda price at George?

Nav at primark?

NutLoose
20th Oct 2009, 11:30
Maybe she just likes to let it swing :}

In days of old I thought it was a fopar to carry your 'elmut by it's straps

Gainesy
20th Oct 2009, 11:34
Aha, tis the PR:yuk:pic of the year.
The good Corporal's talent was Shanghied by the Dark Side.
Fire at will, targets will send a snotty email when hit.:)

Data-Lynx
20th Oct 2009, 13:02
Slim has a point. No dust on the pan, no RUBB/RES over the aircraft, no ground equipment and no maintainers. I wondered about Al Udeid?

I know this is not the caption thread but I did like the alternative headline suggested by my care home: Dan and Doris strut back to the hotel for tea.

Gainesy
20th Oct 2009, 13:32
Can't be Al Udeid, no Disco-Belt Polizei.

zetec2
20th Oct 2009, 13:58
Not exactly the "steely eyed killers" we are used to seeing after a mission more like a poor copy trying to replicate a scene from Top Gun, can I suggest a caption as well:

"Ooh Captain my G suit hose has gone all hard, lets go & debrief "

Paul H.

Romeo Oscar Golf
20th Oct 2009, 15:21
So what makes you think he's the Captain?

Data-Lynx
20th Oct 2009, 15:51
ROG. Those with better eyes than I suggest her name tab is visible with half a 'moth' AND only drivers remove the plastic sheet from the right knee pocket.

I am told that this is FJ routine to stop them absent-mindedly writing on the sheet and then getting warm chinagraph on their suit cuff as they rest an elegant gloved hand on the leg, controlling the aircraft only through gently flexed fingers. :rolleyes:

Romeo Oscar Golf
20th Oct 2009, 16:19
Good answer Dee-ell. I assume then, that the poor back seat underclass still can't reach superhero status. Notwithstanding that, she's much better looking than any nav I know or trained with, except perhaps me;)

Baron rouge
20th Oct 2009, 16:29
Hi there;

could anyone tell me what kind of handcuff lookalike bracelet has the lady got on her left wrist ?

thanks

Pontius Navigator
20th Oct 2009, 17:09
BR, I think you are indeed right. It does look like a handcuff. If you go to the original image you will see it is definitely chunky. You can also see the tip of a wing on his chest.

But real steelies would wear gloves too. Maybe they had to remove their gloves to get at their mirrors and combs.

Cows getting bigger
20th Oct 2009, 17:14
Have they been prodding.........

...... or is the jet is pleased to see us?

PS. Biggles appears to have his ATPL theory notes shoved in his left breast pocket.

TEEEJ
20th Oct 2009, 17:50
The EXIF data is still on the image. Taken at Al Udeid on the 4th May, 2009.

RSS,

What colour do you want the GR4 to be? Even the Saudi's are going for a nice grey on some of their IDS.

Royal Saudi Air Force Panavia Tornado IDS - apgphoto - AirSpace (http://www.flightglobal.com/airspace/photos/apgphoto/royal-saudi-air-force-panavia-tornado-ids-35827.aspx)

TJ

ghostrider1
21st Oct 2009, 09:58
Pete and Jordan try to rekindle their marriage with a bit of inflight probing before arriving at Palma airport in their charter !

Wader2
21st Oct 2009, 12:19
We always used to let the tube hang out. Great bird puller.

Now her's is out and his is in? Mmmmm

Hat, coat, byee

ehwatezedoing
21st Oct 2009, 21:07
Dude had to tuck it in, it's Tornado who got all aroused and left its refueling probe dripping out...

She must have been front seat :suspect:

Manuel de Vol
21st Oct 2009, 22:10
Hi there;

could anyone tell me what kind of handcuff lookalike bracelet has the lady got on her left wrist ?

thanks

A talking clock? (was she driving?) - He looks pissed of enough for this to be a caption competition candidate ...

But before anybody gets too worked up about her 'slip' (how the hell would her hips work with the G-suit that low?) let's not forget the [unforgettable?] photograph of young Charlie Windsor standing (in full flying kit - including a parachute harness with no leg/crotch straps) standing by a phantom.

"We mustn't accentuate the oyal boils."

BentStick
22nd Oct 2009, 04:06
Have you guys run out of Velcro or what?