PDA

View Full Version : Altimeter Settings in Ex Ussr

L'Argonauta
19th Oct 2009, 15:49
Whinch altimeter setting do you use in former Ussr Airports? Qfe or Qnh? Why?

Denti
19th Oct 2009, 16:01
QNH, QFE is not allowed on our 737s due to the EGPWS installation. Our charts (LIDO electronic route manual) have tables to convert QFE into QNH, apart from that we do get QNH now quite often from ATC as well.

eckhard
19th Oct 2009, 16:14
Recently operated through Kazan, Samara, Syktyvkar (Russia), Astana (Kazakhstan). QNH was requested and used. Same reason as previously given; (EGPWS) and I think VNAV and pressurisation would get confused if you used QFE (depending on aircraft type).

B-HKD
19th Oct 2009, 16:24
AFAIK Boeing 744 and 777 AOM state that VNAV should not be used under Transition Level during QFE operations. (for the operators that have QFE).

Guessing its the same for 737NG and 757/767.

L'Argonauta
19th Oct 2009, 16:52
Atc provides you with meters Height clearences, how do you deal with that?

Do you convert meters in feets and than you add elevation to get the altitude to put on your ASEL?

looseobject
19th Oct 2009, 18:06
we have conversion tables (meters to ft),i personally use the meter option on the Efis as a reminder.
Not always easy when you receive atc clx like :descend alt 2400m,when crossing 3100m contact 118,765 dasvidania

Denti
19th Oct 2009, 18:53
There are tables on the charts, on arrival procedures both flightlevel and heights based on QNH (and a value to convert QFE to QNH). Just look up the clearance on the table and dial it in in feet, having meters displayed additionally helps with situational awareness.

eckhard
19th Oct 2009, 21:53
L'Argonauta, I will PM you two tables that I constructed for metric operations.

The first is for Russia, Mongolia, N Korea and the former Soviet States that still use metres (CIS).

The second is for China which uses metres but with different separation of levels and also has a band where RVSM applies.:confused:

Hope this helps!

Eckhard
:ok: