PDA

View Full Version : bmi baby API

FL370 Officeboy
19th Oct 2009, 14:47
Hi all,

My grandmother is due to fly from the UK to Spain on bmi baby later this week. I have received an email (I made the booking for her as she doesn't have internet etc) saying that she is required to enter 'advance passenger information' online prior to checkin. The email is pasted below:

Due to security measures from the UK Government, all airlines are required to provide advance passenger information (API or APIS) for all passengers travelling to and from the UK on an international flight. API requires Passport/valid photo ID information to be captured online prior to travel. Failure to give APIS information will result in passengers not being permitted to travel.

Please note that if you have chosen to check in online, you will have to provide this information before you check in online.

To ensure the security measures are addressed in the most efficient and precise manner, all passengers must provide this information online prior to arriving at the airport, and at least 3 hours before the standard time of departure and, if you have chosen to do so, before checking in online. It is the responsibility of the passenger to ensure that the information provided is correct. A step by step guide to the process is provided below. Please complete all steps outlined below to ensure your information is submitted correctly.

Please note if this information has not been provided in full prior to arriving at the airport, there will be a charge of £5 per passenger per sector for bmibaby to administer this at the airport. You will have to go to a check in desk to provide this information. APIS data cannot be taken at the departure gate. This charge is non-refundable.

The request for the advance passenger information is a direct requirement from the UK Government and we apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

If you have already submitted this information, completing all necessary stages as outlined below, please accept our apologies at resending this reminder. You need take no further action

Now, the stupid rules that this horrible government keep coming up with are for another thread but I have a few specific points:

My grandmother has chosen to checkin at the airport. So, why are baby saying that she will be charged £5 to 'administer' this information when she checks in if it isn't done by the time she arrives at the airport? The large UK airline that I fly for seems to cope easily enough by scanning the passport on checkin and the world hasn't ended yet. Is this just yet another way that baby are trying to fleece unsuspecting passengers, knowing some will turn up at the airport having not seen this email (just a couple of days before departure) and forcing them to pay this stupid charge? Usually, I would accept any invite to bash the government and their idiot policies but this seems like baby are using them as an excuse to invent yet more charges.

groundbum
19th Oct 2009, 14:59
where the original poster has been for the past five years if this is the first time he/she has noticed these odd little charges and regulations that affllict modern live in this great country of ours?

Suggestion - do NOT open any thread with the word Ryanair in the title unless you have a large gin and tonic to hand, are sat down comfortably, and have put your dinner knife out of range should you keel over of shock or a heart attack.

Next the poster will be wondering why supermarkets are sneaky enough to put things that kids like down at ...... kids height!!! Oh the lowliness of it all.....

8-) G

FL370 Officeboy
19th Oct 2009, 15:39
What a stupid reply. I presume you were trying to be witty and clever? As I stated, I work for an airline and have done for several years so don't exactly live under a rock. I've just never heard of this particular charge and don't like the way baby are dressing it up as the govt's fault and wonder if it's replicated in other companies. It certainly isn't in mine (and I thought we were about as stingy as they come!).

Funnily enough, I try to keep up to speed on new and wonderful charges other airlines are implementing (hence my shock I'd never heard of this one) so have read plenty of Ryanair threads. However, I appreciate your concern for my health.

Thanks for your input.

Based
19th Oct 2009, 16:29
Specifically referring to Ryanair, they didn't introduce a new charge but simply warned that you risked the possibility of being denied travel outright if you didn't fill it out online beforehand. It's irrelevant for them now as it's collected during the mandatory online check-in process. That was when it was introduced by the Spanish government in 2007, the UK government seem to be rolling it out this year. To be honest I don't see it as BMI Baby dressing it up as the government's fault, it essentially it is the government's fault!

Rusland 17
19th Oct 2009, 17:36
Now, the stupid rules that this horrible government keep coming up with are for another thread...It may surprise you to learn that several countries require advance passenger information (including Spain, USA, Canada and Japan), so it is not merely a rule invented by "this horrible government". And most airlines require you to provide that information at the time that you check in, whether it be online or at the airport.

Why not simply go to the airline's website and provide the information (in the "Manage my Bookings" section)? It will take a matter of moments - certainly less time than it took you to write that post at the top of this thread. Your dear old gran will still be able to pick up the boarding pass at the airport.

Just make sure that she never flies Ryanair, because they will charge her at least £80 for the privilege of allowing her to check in at the airport.

Based
19th Oct 2009, 18:47
Just make sure that she never flies Ryanair, because they will charge her at least £80 for the privilege of allowing her to check in at the airport.

From October 25th there is no 'privilege' of an airport check-in service, what you mean to say is that they may charge her a £40 penalty for not complying with the terms and conditions of travel she would've signed up to. They could also just cancel her reservation but more than likely won't because they're just that nice!

CheekyVisual
19th Oct 2009, 21:06
It's just another half brick in front of the bicycle wheel of life ! At least you have been prewarned. I appreciate not everyone has access to the internet but if you have just fill the info in for your gran and save her the fiver ! Be very careful though I understand it is very easy to get wrong. The other great new world of admin is the ticket / passport / exact name trap. If the name on your ticket doesn't exactly, and I mean exactly, match what's on your passport or photo ID then no travel. I think some airlines are charging over £100 for last minute name changes so be aware !

Rusland 17
19th Oct 2009, 21:27
I appreciate not everyone has access to the internet but if you have just fill the info in for your gran and save her the fiver!I think it is fairly likely that FL370 Officeboy has access to the internet... :)

FlyingScientist
19th Oct 2009, 22:06
Why is such a charge not being legally challenged? If the government requires airlines to provide passenger information, it is an obligation for them, and arising costs their liability. The airlines are not carrying out an administrative task for or on behalf of the passenger.

AircraftOperations
19th Oct 2009, 23:33
Surely it's the Spanish Government in this case who have put this API rule in place, and not the UK Government. It sounds to me like you are knocking the UK Goverment for something which is out of their control... or have I misunderstood?

Based
20th Oct 2009, 00:26
Doing so online is the most efficient way to provide API, why shouldn't people have to pay more to use more of the airline's resources? There is a legitimately free way of providing the info so I see no reason to legally challenge efficiency. The airlines are carrying out an administrative task for and on behalf of the passenger - at the relevant government's request to do so.

AircraftOperations, yes the Spanish government introduced this API requirement in 2007 but the UK are starting to do so this year.